SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Do palominos make blue eyes??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Do palominos make blue eyes?? « Previous Next »

Tansy Brassfield
Neonate
Username: Spccutnoak

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, We bred our dark palomino stallion to our APHA bay tobiano mare. This produced a sorrel tobiano looking colt with dark blue eyes and half of a light blue partial. He will be three months old on August 18th and hasn't shed out yet. We registered him as a sorrel but still are unsure what he will shed out to be . His mane has almost turned all white now. But we were wondering where did the blue eyes come from? The mare has never thrown blue and does not have blue. This is a AQHA stallion without blue eyes. I know some horses are born with dark blue eyes but they turn after a few weeks , this colt still has blue eyes. Is it possible for sorrels to have dark blue eyes or does this mean the colt might actually be a palomino and be carrying the creme gene? you can see the colt on our website if you would like to see a picture of him www.brassfieldranch.com . Thanks for your imput.

Renee Clover
Nursing Foal
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy.
I am no expert, but from my understanding (some experience and some from Dr. Phillip Sponenberg's books) Tobiano's generally dont have so much white on their faces. Is it possible that your mare (or maybe even the stallion) has some overo in their bloodlines? If this could be the case, then your colt could well be a Tovero, which would explain the blue eyes. The head markings of a true Tobiano are like those of a solid-colored horse--solid, or with a blaze, strip, star or snip. The crooked blaze and patch over one eye in my opinion lends itself to the tovero pattern. Is this possible with the breeding of your mare?
I have also bred a few Buckskins, and like you say.. these dilute horses are normally born with blue eyes that turn brown early on.. so suggesting your colt is a Tovero is my only input. It will be interesting to see what other opinions other may have...
Renee

Tansy Brassfield
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee,
My stallion comes from straight QH's, his sire is a palomino only producing paint colored foals when bred to a paint. My mare is a tobiano only coming from a long line of tobiano's and her last two babies were standard tobianos. I sent in his papers and APHA feels he is a tobiano, even though he does not look like one?? If he was an Tovero would they be so dark blue, I can understand the partial light blue he has but not the rest of both eyes being so dark blue??

Renee Clover
Weanling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy,
I have an overo mare that has one dark blue and one light blue eye. So it is possible. But by the sounds of your horses bloodlines, it looks like the whole tovero idea is ruled out.
Maybe he does carry the dilute gene?!?!?!
I am not real sure on exactly how this gene works, ill see if i can find anything on it tonight in any of my genetics books. Ill let you know if i find anything...

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I know, the cream dilution does not produce blue eyes unless it is in a double dilute, cremello or perlino.
I just looked in my book Horse Color Explained by Jeanette Gower and in the descriptions of a Tobiano, it is stated that they can have dark blue eyes.

Tansy Brassfield
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I contacted my stallions sire's owner and she said a lot of his palomino babies are born with dark blue eyes that turn brown in time and that my stallion was also born with the dark blue eyes that are now hazel - brown. This colt that I am wondering about, eyes are still a dark blue but are rimmed with brown so they are probably on their way of turning. The sires owner also said her dark palomino colts coats are born the color of peanut butter. Who knows, not going to pay UC Davis to find out when he should shed out in a month or so- we shall see..

Em (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.27.120.96
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i dont think that a blue eye/eyes is all that strange in paints or any horse with a large white blaze, we had a welsh filly who had a large white blaze (did not cover her eyes though) and she had a wall eye (blue eye). and i have seen many paints (some without much colour at all) that have 1 or 2 blue eyes, maybe some where in your tobies past there was a horse with a very large baldy face who had a blue eye! it makes for a nice change any way!

Anonymous

Posted From: 66.101.206.254
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a dark bay and white evenly colored tobiano mare that is 8 years old and has 2 blue eyes. there is no question that she is not Tovero or Overo. Her damn was AQHA solid mare and her sire was blackand white tobiano Billy Shoe Shine. I have never really researched the genetics of it all but there are definate tobiano blue yes out there.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US