SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

WHERE ARE ALL YOU COLOR GENETIC GURUS??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » WHERE ARE ALL YOU COLOR GENETIC GURUS?? « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3107
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need a 'best guess' on what color my foal is. She is out of a silver buckskin mare:
http://www.mysticrockminis.com/images/katelyn.jpg

and a appaloosa stallion who was born sorrel:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/TiggersBonitaPocahontas.jpg

Then changed to this:
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/?action=view&current=DSC01759. jpg

Then to this:
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/?action=view&current=dynamo4.j pg

His mane and tail are no longer red, they turned to black...never seen that before....and most horses who grey go completely grey...and he has dark legs and mane and tail still.

This is their foal...she is a strange color with greenish eyes, pink skin around them, white eyelashes. I thought she had a dorsal stripe, and shaved part of her today to see what was under there. She is now a brilliant blue color and her eyes in the sun appear to have a nice 1/8" border of gorgeous silver around greenish blue eyes. I have never seen this color. Her baby coat has a weird yellow sheen i have also never seen, and cannot capture with my cam. Any ideas? I shaved all the way down one leg, and there is absolutely no variance in color anywhere on her body. she's just aluminum or steel grey. She is not the kind of grey who turns black...i have had plenty of those. She reminds me of a weimereiner dogs color. HELP!
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/katie2010foal/?start=all

Jamie Mix
Nursing Foal
Username: Jmstar74

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, April 05, 2010 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stud looks gray to me. They get darker points, mane and tail and loose the dark as they get older and go gray/white. It is hard to tell on the foal as when they are born, they can change so much to when the shed out that foal coat. The dam has a dun stripe so I would gander poss Grulla or a dun/gray modification, however you usually do not see the gray modification until weaning age... Here is a great color site with tons of info. Hope this helps. http://www.grullablue.com/colorpages.htm

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2662
Posted on Tuesday, April 06, 2010 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the easter bunny left you a chocolate filly!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WaHOo! Pulling her little hairs out this morning to send to the lab.....She's so gorgeous, i can't stand to wait any longer !! Poor little girl, been shaved, now this! She's gonna hate me LOL

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2664
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't blame you one bit!

Marilyn Lemke
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 2576
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2010 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to hear what you find out!

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes inquiring minds want to know...me also...

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Weanling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I back the gray theory.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, it seems i posted results on my foaling thread. The filly came back as a silver smokey black! yay! She's getting prettier every day! Hope to clip her this weekend and get new pics. She has black spots on her rump now!

Cyndi
Yearling
Username: Jusblve

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a beautiful baby Diana.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3395
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Cyndi!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US