SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Whorls

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Whorls « Previous Next »

Ann
Breeding Stock
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen the article about whorls in Equine Wellness? Really interesting.

We have a high strung "lead mare" that is a double whorl. Our, ahem, farrier, used to make us drive her for an hour before he worked on her because "those doube whorls are crazy". (HE was crazy an a fool to boot! And we eventually gave him the boot!)

This mare is sensitive and there are some people who give her a wide berth but we like her and she trusts us.

So anyway, I read this article and it says that double whorls are "rather sensitive and emotional. They can overreact at unexpected moments and are easily upset. They do not respond well to correction, and only become more resistant. These compliated horss can be very talented with the right rider." Honestly, we have worked with our mare for a year now and she is overly sensitive and can overreact...doesn't have an "off button" but she and my husband work really well together and she is talented.

We also have a foal that is a triple whorl. LOL!

We have found that what LT-J says about whorl patterns pretty much fits with the temperments of our horses. Anyone else find it to be true with theirs?

Linda Bauer --
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann, I also find this topic interesting. My sister has a mare with the 2 whorls on her forehead and she is very over-reactive.
My geldings whorl is in the center of his forehead just above his eyes, which is supposed to mean uncomplicated nature, and that fits him.
I think I will take pictures of all my horses and their whorls and do some comparing.
I also read somewhere that if the whorls go clockwise the horse tends to be right sided and if counter clockwise left sided
This is a interesting site http://www.horsewyse.com.au/whorls.htm

Ann
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Linda, I looked up what Linda T-J says about your geldings whorl....

"Fairly common, and generally less telling of a horse's character then some of the rarer or more interesting swirls. Said to indicate an uncomplicated temperment. Horses with this swirl set more to the right tend to be slightly less cooperative."

LOL! Hope your gelding's is set to the left! I just find this so iteresting! I am off to look at the site you posted!

Esther Johnson
Weanling
Username: Estherj92

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, October 09, 2009 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare has 2 whorls on her forehead, but in cases like that how would one be able to tell what '-sidedness' the horse has? She does tend to be a bit temperamental, and has a stubborn streak. However most of the time when I'm riding her she listens pretty well. There is a field I like to ride in though, that she used to love, and the last times I tried riding in it she'd do nothing but buck when I asked her to canter. Add to that the fact that she is going on thirty one and a Morgan you'd think that she would be pretty quiet and mellow. Not her! She's usually pretty sweet and I love her dearly, but she's never low on spunk. It'll be interesting to see how the foal with three whorls will turn out...:-)

Ann
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ester.......!!!!!! 31 years old! WOW!!!! That is so cool! Good for her! I wonder if the change of seasons is responsible for her bucking? You know, feeling good? My mare has been a bit spirited (she is only 12) on these cooler and windy days!

Our foals are for sale except the 3 whorl one...LOL!

Our farrier used to make us drive the 2 whorl mare before he would work on her He was afraid of her. (Like I said fool. We fired him after a cheating incident when he tried to beat our mare with one of his by trying to whip our mare in to breaking stride. She won reserve grand champion and his mare...bottom of class. But I digress...)

Our two whorl mare was a great momma and foaled with everyone in the barn at 5 p.m. She let me roll around on the floor with her minutes old baby and was the best. Like any other horse, i think it just comes down to working with the individual way in which they best respond.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US