SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Levi (paint dam and appaloosa sire)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Levi (paint dam and appaloosa sire) « Previous Next »

Wendy Adams
Breeding Stock
Username: Wendyjokid

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all! Just wanted to post some updated (5 week) pictures of Levi. I continue to be amazed at the almost constant color and pattern changes. While he is basically a carbon copy of his appy sire, there are some black areas (assuming from mom) becoming more prominent by the day. Those of you have (or have had) appaloosas might be able to give opinion here. Do you think the black around his eyes and mouth will continue to spread? I haven't found any new patches of black anywhere else on his body...yet. His mane is sorrel and white...no black. Just curious is all. No matter what color he ends up, he is just perfect to me.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=96626&id=520834067&l=0306fe9610

Wendy

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any idea about the black around his eyes...but will say THIS. When I was young, we bred an appy to appy and ended up with one who looked almost exactly like Levi. as a foal, he was very sorrel, and at 3 he was JET BLACK. He still had all the white in the same spots, just totally changed colors. Nobody believed it was the same horse!!

Wendy Adams
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooooooooo...that is a cool thought! Never would I have imagined THAT to be possible? No wonder people couldn't believe it was the same horse. Wow...black...hmmmmm. Very interesting.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just goes to show you never know with appaloosas. The foal I had this year that was blacker than black is turning white with black spots!!

Wendy Adams
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, September 22, 2009 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am posting Levi's 3 month pictures so that you can see the dramamtic differences in just 6 weeks. LOTS more gray coming in everywhere you see the sorrel. LOTS more mottling around his eyes and his back end. The black around his mouth is actually fading. Still looks much like his sire but seems to be going in a different direction color-wise all of a sudden. Right now shows none of his (paint) dam's characteristics.

Diana ~ I'd love to see pics of the black foal that you got shortly before Levi was born. Curious about the change. Especially since our breedings were amazingly similar. This genetics thing is fun (albiet perplexing).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=110010&id=520834067&l=de57e5d4b8

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wendy,the little black foal I got is still a little black foal...LOL No difference in him at all. Although, after DNA testing, I do realize that our breedings were not as similar as I'd have liked them to be! The foal was out of my leopard stallion, not the snowcap...YAY!! That means that 2010 is a brand new year, and since the leopard has been sold she is DEFINITELY bred to the snowcap. (That sounds bad, I know...but it's not because I'm irresponsible...LOL...it's because I bred her several times to the snowcap in 2008, and when it got late in the season, I went ahead and bred her to the leopard just to make sure she didn't go unbred)I wasn't really positive who had gotten the job done. And I am very happy that it wasn't my snowcap....having a black foal. LOL

On the other hand, the black filly that I had before BOTH of our other foals has changed incredibly!! I'll have to write to the lady who owns her now and ask for more photos.....

Adele Staten
Neonate
Username: Roxi2narnia

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes a true black will not born black but either sorrel or chestnut, or other colors then as they get older the shed out to the black.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US