SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Still confused with color of resulting foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Still confused with color of resulting foal « Previous Next »

Tica Clarke
Yearling
Username: Fwsptappy

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. Well it's been 4 months now since Farah had her foal and Sophie's color is still up in the air. Farah is a few spot Appy and was bred to a black and white paint. Now the few spot appy carries the LP gene correct? So wouldn't her resulting foal have to be of color? This is Sophie at 6 weeks of age: http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/tica_clarke/Sophieabout6weeksold.jpg
This is her last week:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/tica_clarke/Endoflesoncropped.jpg
Obviously she's shedding out, but a friend of mine asked my dressage trainer what color she thought she'd end up and she said she would stay a chestnut. Is that possible?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chances are great that your mare is not a true few spot. It's highly more likely that she is a grey. Few spot appies carry a double copy of the LP gene, yes. But, that only guarantees 'appy characteristics' not color!! Does tica have mottling aroung her genitals or nose? Does she have striped hooves, or sclera around her eyes? If not, your mare is not a true few spot, if so, then there are your appy characteristics! She may color out over time, or just go grey like mom. You just never know with an appy breeding. Shes clearly chestnut now though.

Tica Clarke
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana, yes mom (you might remember Farah) has mottled skin around genitals and muzzle, striped hooves etc. She is a true few spot appy, I am just confused as to why this baby (Sophie) has no color. She is darkening as she is shedding out though but will the hair come back red? Really Diana, not that I care, she is a beautiful well put togethered filly, sweet personality and a member of our family regardless what color she is, but since my trainer (not an appy person) was so adament that she would stay chestnut, I thought I would come back to consult the experts.

Tica Clarke
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to show you a photo of her mottled muzzle. Not a great photo of them but it gives you a clear picture of the mottling around the muzzle.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, I meant to ask if the baby has mottling, striped hooves, or sclera....haha!! not you!! Also , do you have pics ofthe mares sire and dam?

Tica Clarke
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry, I forgot to add the photo link:http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/tica_clarke/Farahportrait.jpg actually it's a different one that I intended but this one you can see the scelera and the mottling around her muzzle (look closely) I got rid of the photos of her private parts . I'm sorry Diane she was sold to me as a grade so I have no idea of her parantage, she was also sold to me exposed 2 weeks prior to me buying her but I do know of the paint horse that she was exposed to. After I bought her I had the vet come out to do a vet check and he doubted she was pregnant but with the possibility that she could be. Well of course she was so we gave her all the vacs that she needed when she was 9mo. along (also he confirmed that she was indeed preggos)I just really find it difficult to understand when you have a few spot, bred to a loud blk&wht how one can end up with a chestnut? No matter who Farah's parents are the fact that she is a few spot mandates that she carries the LP gene correct? I'm just trying to understand this genetics thing LOL and really I just got interested now that I got an appy who threw a chestnut whom by the way I love dearly. The baby (Sophie) just has the scelera that is all the appy trait that I can see. Will that be it? Or do you think she will change colors?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mares parentage matters VERY much, as the only way to get a 'true' fewspot is from 2 fewspots, or a fewspot and s snowcap, or a fewspot and a leopard. This mare (judging by the picture) is a fleabitten grey appy....not a fewspot. Fewspots have dark edges, dark on the legs, & most of the time dark manes. Here is a pic of a true few spot.
http://www.amodelminiatures.com/foals_files/2009/Chinook/ChinookJune9.jpghttp://www.amodelminiatures.com/stallions_files/kemo/2.jpg
http://www.amodelminiatures.com/foals_files/2009/SpiritWalker/spirit_jun095_smal l.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US