SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Where do white markings come from?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Where do white markings come from? « Previous Next »

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 776
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For most breeds white markings are common but with PRE horses the norm is no markings at all....Bruja on the other had has 4 white socks and a lot of white on her face...is there some genetic treasure in that...or is it just an oddity? Who knows about this stuff?
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1000904-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1010510-1.jpg[/IMG]

Heather
Breeding Stock
Username: Lilredbuck

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that he would have to have someone, somewhere in his bloodlines that had to have white markings somewhere on them. He's very cute though! love the facial markings

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The white markings are still somewhat of a genetic mystery as to what controls them. Eventually, even the rarest genetic possibility will manifest itself which is probably what happen with this colt. The legs and face together suggest the genetic control of or similar to the sabino genes. Unlike most color expressions that can be identified down to a single gene type, the sabino is what the call polygenic (multiple genes). The theory is that all white markings on a horse (excluding paint breeds) follow the sabino theory and are "controlled by several genes at separate loci (locations) and the overall balance between the genes determines the extent of white marks" according to the Equine Color Genetics by Dr. D. Phillip Spoonenberg.

My interpertation of that is - they really don't know and will probably stumble across it on accident one day!

Interestingly enough, the base color of the coat effects the amout of white expressed in the non-paints. Chestnuts usually have more white (taller stockings, bigger blaze, etc) than a bay which has more than a black.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 777
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K. I knew you would know something about this...now, if she is bred to a stallion that has lots of white (if I can find one) will the chances be greater for babies with white markings?

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes - the more white on the parents, the greater chance of getting white AND it usually will be around the same amount as the parents(s). The blacks and bays will always be limited in the non-paint world, but you just don't know. Your colt really did get a rare set of genetics to have four uniform white socks and the blaze from the breeding lines you use. He is very pretty. I am guessing that the breed accepts and the buyers like the white since you are looking to reproduce it. Is that correct?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I have never seen another PRE with these markings and as a rule horses with no markings are the favorite of most owners. I just thought it would be fun to shake things up! Bruja is a mare not a colt and both her mother and father have minimum white if any....makes for fun, huh. I think these days some buyers are looking for what is different so I bought her and thought i would see what happens when she has babies....she is two years old

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry...I am sure that she would proably paint her offspring with some white...since PRE's like Paso's have a lot of grey horses some of them may have had white at one time??? Perhaps that is something you can add to your questions when looking at stallions...It would be fun~

Kathee McGuire
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Bruja! I agree with Jan, you will probably see more white on foals than you are used to if you reproduce her. The white passes easily to offspring which is why breeds have selectively bred it in or out. The 4 socks are not very common i non-paint, but since she has 4, there is a great chance that her foals will have at least 1 or 2. Is she going to be part of your breeding program?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 779
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still deciding what to do with her....she happens to have fantastic movement and would make a showy dressage horse for a petite woman....we have started her in long lines and she is doing great....time will dictate her future...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US