SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Champagne genetics???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Champagne genetics??? « Previous Next »

Sarah Ross
Neonate
Username: Jeblina

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bred my palomino mare to a sorrel stud, and got a palomino colt. The colt was born with pink skin and darker blue eyes (not light blue), which had darkened by the time he was a few weeks old. His skin was dark gray like a normal palomino, and his eyes were dark (maybe not brown...but hazel-ish). Now he is 5 months old, and was weaned from his mom 3 weeks ago. I just took some pics of him today, and noticed that his skin on his muzzle and around his eyes are considerably more pink than his mom's. Could I have a champagne palomino? Does one parent have to have the champagne gene to get a champagne baby? I'm so confused....here is a link to a photo album with all his pics from when he was born to current

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeblina3/album?.dir=89b9

...take a look and let me know what you think....any input is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Debbie Burnett
Yearling
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarah;

If I remember my genetics correctly, a cross between Chestnut and Palomino gives you a chance for palomino, chestnut or an occasional red dun. Your foal doesnt look like a red dun to me, so im guessing he is a palomino.

Check ebay for the Equine Genetics Book second edition by Sponenberg, it is a must have for all the horse color genetic questions you might have.

Deb

Sandy D
Yearling
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarah,
I would say your colt is probably a golden palomino. A champagne foal's eyes at birth are nearly always white or pale blue, but darken with greenish flecks until they turn amber around 3 months of age. The champagne will keep its pink skin no matter how dark the hair turns and will usually have freckled skin.
And I would say yes, one parent would have to have the champagne gene in order to have a champagne foal. Champagne is a dominant dilute.

pam smith
Neonate
Username: Willipamm

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sarah, what a wonderful baby! Are you going to leave him a stud and breed with him? He is beautiful! and so is his mama.

Sarah Ross
Neonate
Username: Jeblina

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Pam...he's a great little guy. I had planned on keeping him and using him as a stud later in life...but I'm a single mom, and having two horses is proving to be WAAAAY too much of a time/money committment for me...so he's actually for sale now. I'll be sad to see him go, but I know it's the right thing for him, as well as me :-)

Joie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 208.1.87.136
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 01:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's palomino. One parent would have to be a dun to produce red dun, and one parent would have to be champagne to produce champagne. Chestnut to palomino gives 50% chance palomino and 50% chance chestnut. There are no other options.
He is a very nice colt!

maxi L Hymel
Neonate
Username: Nursecheart

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious if anyone could answer me this. I just bought a mare that i think is smokey black. she is chocolate brown with darker points. none really darker than another. I want to cross her with my palomino stud. He has had every baby hit the ground palomino except one appolossa which believe it or not came from another palo mare. what do you think my new mare and him might produce. thanks

Beverly
Neonate
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would have to have her tested to confirm that she is a smokey black but if she is you could get palomino, cremello, perlino & possibly sorrel or bay. Not sure about the last two.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US