SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Encantador//very unusual color for a PRE

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Encantador//very unusual color for a PRE « Previous Next »

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 465
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to share pictures of one of my colts.

Chestnut is a very rare color among P.R.E. horses. Here is a colt born chestnut but going gray....his genetic is eeAaGg...which means he carries chestnut, black and bay and is heterozygous gray. This combination makes him a very interesting breeding prospect. He will give every foal at least one chestnut gene (e)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1010076.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1010078.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/Runtogether.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1000912.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/Colt4.jpg[/IMG]

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's awesome, Terry, and still one of my favorites....have you decided against selling him??
*I HOPE*

Andrea Barnes
Neonate
Username: Pf_pony

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is chesnut rare in PREs? Is it because grey covers it up?
I'm still trying to wrap my head around colors, so bear with me.
A foal gets a color gene from each parent. Yours got e from dad and e from mom...
How do you know mom and dad aren't chestnut under grey ( at least one is grey right?)
Black horses are either Ee or EE. EE with agouti would be bay.
I guess I'm not sure why ee is rare in PREs as compared to other breeds that have the same basic colors.
Thanks for being patient!

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 334
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea you are right about the black gene. If he had it he would be black.
He is very nice.

(Message edited by Cathy on March 13, 2009)

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 469
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For years the Stud Book did not accept Chestnuts so they became rare. Now that they are accepted, they are appearing and sell for very high prices. Gray is caused by a gene but covers up the actual genetic color of the horse so it is important to do genetic testing for the true color of any gray horse. Soon this colt will be nearly white and it may be hard to "look and see" chestnut coloring. One of his parents is a bay EeAA or EeAa and his mother is gray...EeAa or EeAA....one of them must be Aa since he is Aa.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry A is not the black gene it is the agouti gene that can be carried by chestnut and has no effect on that color. E is the black gene.
My palomino stallion is Aa which is nice because he can and has thrown bay and buckskins from black mares.

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 01:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

couldnt the grey mom also be aa instead of Aa? My bay mare is EeAA, homozygous for Agouti, so never will get any black bodied foals from her. Her first foal was a bay, second a buckskin and third a buckskin.

On a palomino or chestnut, AA wouldnt show as the horse has to have black for the agouti gene to limit it to the points. It would only be on successive breedings that the owner could assume that the mare was AA for agouti if she never had a black bodied foal no matter whether the sire of the foal was black, bay, smokey black etc.

ee is chestnut
Ee is black, bay
EE is homozygous black
then add in the Cr for dilute palomino, buckskin etc
and CrCr for double dilute such as perlino and cremello

Now there are more genetic markers for silver and champagne with more to come

D

Beth
Breeding Stock
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since chestnut is recessive, wouldn't both the sire and dam of this colt have to carry ee? I thought the way it worked, black is dominant, so you only need to have 1 parent that is black or carries black to get a black and because chestnut is recessive you need 2 genes to get a chestnut. If this is right, both the parents carry the gene for chestnut.
This could also explain the lack of chestnuts in PRE's- not enough blacks and bays carry the chestnut gene for it to be expressed.
Example- one lady here, Tracy Smith, breed a chestnut out of two bays.

Ad TB
Breeding Stock
Username: Ajvtbs

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, He's amazing, a really handsome colt. I know nothing about colour testing it's not done in the Thoroughbred world. In the last two years however I have had a chestnut filly who's dam and sire were both bay. The mares sire was black but her dam was chestnut. The stallions sire was bay but his dam was chestnut.
A chestnut colt out of a bay mare and a bay stallion. The mares dam was bay and sire was chestnut. The stallions dam was chestnut and sire was bay.

This is the one that confuses me..A chestnut filly out of a bay mare and bay sire. The mares dam and sire were both bay and the stallions dam and sire were both bay also. The mares granddams were bay and bay and her grandsires were grey and bay. The stallions granddams were bay and bay and grandsires were bay and bay. I can not find any chestnut in the pedigree for generations. I really don't know where it came from!

Andrea Barnes
Weanling
Username: Pf_pony

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth has got it.
AD. Your mare and stallion would be Ee and Ee. All it takes is for one each e to get passed on to the foal and you got your chestnut. Since agouti only affects black your filly could still carry it.
You had a 25% chance of getting a chestnut I think.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US