SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Why does my mare have these?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Why does my mare have these? « Previous Next »

Beth
Breeding Stock
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a grey mare who was born black. I know nothing about her sire and dam, and its likely the man who bred her doesn't have a clue either. Anyway, when she shedded her winter coat, her two year old summer coat shone that glistening blue/black shade. Now at nearly nine years old, she is a flea bitten grey. What I don't understand is why she has brown flecks as well as black ones. The brown flecks range from light brown to dark brown on various parts of her body.

Without the knowledge of her parents, and the colour of the flecks, could it be possible that she's masking palomino or buckskin under the black and grey? Here in Australia, we are significantly behind UC Davis for colour testing, therefore it is more pricey. I am saving up for it, and will test her as soon as I can. She hasn't had any foals either.

Robin Culbertson
Yearling
Username: Murrini

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The color of the "flea bites" has nothing to do with the base color, most tend to turn reddish brown eventually, regardless of what color horse they started out. I wish it were that easy to figure out what thier base was, I have 3 greys and would like to know what color they really are!

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For $75.oo you can find out. Test for red, agouti and cream. That would cover the most common colors. Sorrel,black,bay,buckskin,palomino,smokey black,smokey cream,perlino, and cremello.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 455
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now days you can also test for hetero or homozygous gray...great to know if in the breeding game...

This gray mare is fleabitten...her genetic color is EEAa...no red, but carries bay and black....her foal will be gray but was born black as you can see. I am guessing her genetic color is also EEAa because she has some brown on her nose. Both sire and dam are heterozygous grays but this filly could be either homozygous or heterozygous...why do I care? if she is homozygous every foal of hers will be gray.

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/IMG_4340.jpg[/IMG]

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 301
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, how do you know Doctora´s daughter will be gray? is doctora or the stallion homozygous?
My foal had some brown -still has- on his nose and he turned out to be -fading- black.

Robin, testing is the best way to know if you are really curious.

I am in Argentina, so I had to send the samples to the USA to test, but I am happy I did. Although had he turned out to be, what he seemed to be -bay-, I would still be regreting it !

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 460
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mariana...both Doctora and Fugitivo are heterozygous but the filly has silver eyeliner. silver in her nostrils, white hairs in her coat and up her legs....all signs of gray coming out even at birth. Of course, testing will confirm or deny my tentative observations. I am most interested to see if she is homo or heterozygous and if she got the chestnut gene from her sire.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after I posted I saw your comment about Samba on another thread. What are the most valued coats on PRE 's? are looking to have gray or to avoid it?. I get horse magazines from Spain and there is a lot of advertisements on specific color coats, specially diluted, is it the same in USA?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 470
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is significant amount of advertising for special colors...black, chestnut and now the dilutes...horses are priced accordingly. However, 80% of P.R.E. s are gray and it stands to reason the best PREs are gray...it is very hard to get performance, conformation, size, temperament etc and color....still some people will pay a fortune for a rare color.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US