SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Homozygous Tobiano Perlino Sire, Sorrel Overo mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Homozygous Tobiano Perlino Sire, Sorrel Overo mare « Previous Next »

Dee Jay
Weanling
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi gang!

I have a lady interested in breeding to my stallion who has a sorrel overo mare. THe mare's sire is also sorrel overo out of a sorrel tobiano and a sorrel tovero, and the mares dam is a bay overo out of a bay overo and a QH(no color info).

SHe is wondering what color foal and whether she will get a homozygous foal as well.

I know her color options are going to be Palomino 50%, smokey black 25% and buckskin 25% as my Perlino is EeCRCRTT, but I cant answer the question regarding whether the foal will be homozygous or not as I dont know anything about overos.

Anyone have any info on this or know a link that I can do some research on it? I have checked out the color calculators, but none give me info on Homozygosity.

DeeJay

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homozygous for what? Does she mean color or pattern?
To be homozygous for either the sire and dam both have to carry and pass the gene.

Dee Jay
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shes asking if the foal will be homozygous like my stud, so I assume shes asking about homozygous for paint TT I dont know the genetics of Overo and if this resulting foal could be homo for tobi, or tovero or neither.

Can an overo mare be homozygous for paint? Is there a homozygous overo gene as there is in homozygous tobianos?

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The foal will not be homozygous for color from an overo mare. Both parents must carry the homozygous gene which the overo color pattern does not have. I own a tobiano mare that is by a homozygous stallion and out of a non-homozygous mare, my mare unfortunately is not homozygous since her dam did not carry the gene.

Loretta Frino
Yearling
Username: Roxy73

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL you guys lost me at Hi Gang!...:-)

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dee Jay, there is an informative page on homozygous tobianos done by U.C.Davis, you can find it at this link, hope it helps. It gives a lot of detail.

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Outback/2936/tobiano.html

Dee Jay
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha Loretta you made me snort my coffee on the keyboard *wipe wipe wipe*.

Thanks Beth and Cathy. I know all about the tobiano gene as I breed homozygous tobianos on my ranch and stand a double homozygous perlino tobiano stallion, but I couldnt find anything out about overos being homozygous or not ( probably because they arent) so I wanted to check to be sure before I emailed this lady back.

I wonder what this foal will look like with a splash overo patterned sorrel mare (very hidalgo looking in the frame pattern) and my tobiano perlino stallion . WOuld it be a combination of splash and frame and tobiano, or maybe a tovero with no splash or frame pattern? who knows for sure. Only thing I know is that it will be a tobiano of some sort as my boy is homo for tobi so there would have to be white across its spine

I guess we will know in a few weeks as the foal is due Feb 11th if it goes 334 days. Her vet said that at 60 days when ultrasounded he thought it was a colt hmmm.. I guess hes got a 50=50 chance of being right.

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, the colt was palomino loudly colored tovero born Feb 7

Andrea Barnes
Neonate
Username: Pf_pony

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the homozygous form of overo is letal. (LWO) Which is why you won't find any (alive).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US