SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Color Prediction?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Color Prediction? « Previous Next »

Gabby Schaumberg
Neonate
Username: Thishorselife

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 03:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all, Gabby here.

My mare is foaling here in January, and im anxious to know what the gender and color is. Im SO obsessed about color and gender and name its ridiculous.

Mare is a Sundance Kid V daughter, out of a Salon grandaughter. She's a bay. Sundance Kid V is a homozygous black, though I dont know if that will effect anything with the foal.

Sire is a Gazon son, out of a Fadjur grandaughter. He's a bay as well. The stud has sired ALL bay fillies accept one buckskin filly out of a grey quarter mare (go figure), and a single black colt of which I dont know the details.

This is the mare's first, and her granddam was a chestnut, but other than that linage on both sides are grey, bay, and black.

I have pretty much accepted Ill get a bay filly. With these classic Crabbet lines and some nice Varian blood for a bit of sculpture, am really excited to see what we get!

I have few friends who are as horsey mental as I am, and I was lookin' around for a place to indulge my undying anticipation for this foal.

I do not own the mare, nor the sire but I do own that baby haha. So! For respect of the owners Ill keep the names mum, but Sunrise is the part of the name in the mare that I want to use, and a variation of Zarr from the sire.

WORD/NAME BANK!
Zara - Princess
Zaria - Princess/Dawn/Golden
Zora - Dawn
Zorana - Dawn
Zarina - Princess
Zafirah - Victory
Zaltana - high mountain
Zarah - coming of dawn
Zarifa - Moves with Grace
Zephira - of the west wind
Zerelda - armored battle maiden (haha I thought this one was cool)
Zippora - Beauty
Zerefina - burning fire
Zadara - (adara means fire)

Ive already decided on some kind of variation of Balthazarr if its a colt.
Balthazarr means, "Splended Prince" and I dont know HOW im going to attempt to register it, knowing there HAS to be a registered Arabian by the name of Balthazarr .... IDEAS?

Rhis filly thing is stumping me too.
Some name variations ive come up with are:

Zarrafina (fair princess/dawn)
Zarrina Aurora (dawning empress ... but its kind of a mouthful)

And thats it so far ... I want to have some kind of idea what to call it if its a filly. Any ideas on color/gender/NAMES would be SO helpful! Ive picked my obsessed brain DRY!

(Message edited by thishorselife on October 09, 2008)

(Message edited by thishorselife on October 09, 2008)

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because the mares sire is homozygous black and the stud has thrown a black foal neither can be homozygous for agouti. With a chestnut in the background the mare could carry the gene.
So the most likly would be bay then black and a small chance of chestnut. Sex is 50/50

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gabby,

Welcome to the board....sounds like you will get a lovely foal! Boy or Girl :-) I am in CA too! Southern. Do you have pics of the parents? I like the name Zerefina...sounds very girly and fast :-)

Sherri Baker
Neonate
Username: Sherrib

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Zarah - coming of dawn is a nice one, but I too like the Zarafina though, really a nice name to say, Some times you just know when they are born, my undecided colour mare who is 8 now before she was born she was going to be Peppys Lil Star but when she was born she had these foxy ears and this foxy little face and so she was Fox and Peppys Foxy Star ended up being her reg. name.... So you never know I would bet on bay too, but with Balthazarr I like that, you could play on adding to it or adding or eliminating letters? or translate to Spledid Prince and add of what like Splendid Price of Fire SO Balthazarradara just a though...cant wait to see the foal!!!!

Gabby Schaumberg
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you! I look forward to getting to know some of you guys and hopefully I will quench my thirst for horse talk here!

Here is some pics of the sire. Keep in mind this guy is TWENTY FIVE! I absolutely LOVE his classic build and head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/greenie/Greenie%20Pics/bayzarr2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/greenie/Greenie%20Pics/bayzarr4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/greenie/Greenie%20Pics/bayzarr3.jpg

This stallion is incredible. The owner handled the stallion in a nylon halter even in breeding! He was VERY sweet with our mare too! Look! (head shot of our mare on the left, stallion on the right)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/greenie/Greenie%20Pics/bayzarr6.jpg

Its a little muddy in that season haha - but the mare looks a LOT like her grandaddy Desperado V ... very western looking. The ONLY thing I dont like about the mare is she has a touch light bone for my taste.

But looking at the bone on the stallion, I think I have a GREAT chance on getting a foal with some great legs! What do you guys think!?

(Message edited by thishorselife on October 10, 2008)

Gabby Schaumberg
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here some pics I dug up of one of the fillies he sired, the buckskin. She's a Quarab.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/greenie/Greenie%20Pics/Fallaha5B15D.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/greenie/Greenie%20Pics/bayzarrfilly1.jpg

A little clubby in the front right when I saw her, but past that she was VERY nice! A great mind!
And get this ... the stallion was stabled right across the isle from his own daughter. Didn't flicker an ear - I was very impressed.

OH! I just found another pic of a Morab filly he sired as well ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/greenie/Greenie%20Pics/bayzarzfilly.jpg

I saw this one as well ... I couldn't see a single thing wrong with her. I would say more about what I thought about the mares - lets just say the stallion did MAJOR improvement on these girls.

Gabby Schaumberg
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well so much for me being co-op on the names with the picture links ... I give up.

Sire is Bayzarr, dam is Mauna Kea Sunrise.

The mare was born in hawaii, Mount Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain in the islands. Mauna Kea meaning White Mountain in hawaiian.

Ive been trying to come up with something really neat for a filly name, because like I said I kinda already like Balthazarr for a colt.

I found out that Mount Denali (meaning "The great one") is actually the tallest mountain in north america ... I dunno

Here is a mix of stuff I like, from different cultures in meaning and sound. Some are just pretty! hehe

Aisha - she who lives (arabic)
azale - eternal (arabic)
asima - guardian (arabic)
lina - delicate (arabic)
amiera - princess/leader (arabic)

Manar - light (arabic)
sana - brilliance (arabic)
raina - queen (arabic)
serafima - fiery one (arabic)
hadir - rare (arabic)
amara - command (arabic)
bint - daughter (arabic)
carmine - crimson (blood bay?) (arabic)
adara - fire (arabic)
amer - thriving (arabic)
stefina - crowned in glory
vashti - lovely/beautiful (persian)

Regalia - symbol of royalty (Regalian?) colt

Delphian/Delphina - I just think its pretty :D

Wavering from the general theme, but like I said ive been racking my brain raw ><

(Message edited by thishorselife on October 10, 2008)

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Asima

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 808
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very lovely horses!!!! I look forward to seeing what you get.

I agree with the others on color. Biggest chance is for bay, then black, and a small chance of sorrel.

Actually it isn't that small of chance for sorrel if niether horse is homozygous for black then it would be 25% chance.

(Message edited by paintlover on October 10, 2008)

Tracy Smith
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bred two bays 3 times. The first two times I got bay. The third time I got a chestnut sabino!!!

Here's pics of all three foals in order of birth.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/004-7.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/024-6.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/007-2.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/028-3.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/016-4.jpg

Beth
Yearling
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gabby, I've got some names here that you might like.

Alcheringa- Dreamland
Allirra- quartz
Arika- blue water lily
Arrainya- name
Baringa- light
Berringa- sunset
Chintoo- sun
Dandaloo- beatiful
Karrit- rain
Lalirra- sun
Lirralirra- wren
Lilliri- shade, shadow

These are all Australian Aboriginal words and as you live in America? you should be almost certain that no one else has them!
I agree that bay is your most likely colour for your foal. And for the stallion to have sired that buckskin filly out of the grey mare, the grey would have had to born palomino, buckskin cremello or perlino before she greyed out.

Gabby Schaumberg
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful Beth! Thank you so much!
Yeah the grey mare was a palomino I think :-)

Ive even been diping into latin words >< Its really chaotic in my brain.

Beth
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Using words from other languages as names is really good, because they're alot of the time quite different, and some can be really beautiful.

Gabby Schaumberg
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well the only problem is you get TOO different then people have an issue pronouncing it properly.

example: Zarria .... which sounds VERY pretty if you pronounce it properly .... when you are Hard on the 'r' like most Americans would be its sounds WEIRD.

e.e which is annoying lol

Beth
Yearling

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah too different can be a big problem. How is the mare? Is this her first foal? We had a mare who we got on the agreement that we returned the foal she was carrying to the previous owner, when the mare and/or the foal isn't yours you have to be so careful with them

Gabby Schaumberg
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mare isn't mine. Owner is thoroughly involved though, and the foal is mine. I've paid for the foal etc. so -shrug-
Kea is getting large. She's a maiden so she's readjusting to having weight on her underside for the first time.
I was riding her bareback in a halter while giving lessons for a while, but as were reaching a couple months to due date and she's a new mama, our last ride was last Monday.
I only walked her about with a little bit of trotting, but as this is her first foal I want to take it real easy on her and let her kind of just ..... deal with being pregnant for the first time without me asking her to carry me around once in a while too.
I just got some blankets, a creep feeder, a couple baby halters for when squirt grows and am getting all my stuff together so I have everything.
The baby blanket is SO cute TINY TINY!
I think she'll make a good mama - were a LITTLE worried about her weight, as she has a quarter horse matabolism and a race horse appetite. But the vet says she's just shy of being over-weight ... nothing to be hugely concerned about as long as we keep her moving around.

BTW Tracy, your horses are lovely :-)

(Message edited by thishorselife on October 22, 2008)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US