SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

New Grey Test!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » New Grey Test!! « Previous Next »

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Don't know if you all have all ready heard or not but there is now a test for Gray!! I know some of you have been waiting for one. I don't have any horses to test but I still am excited as some day I might. :-)

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a horse to test, what is this test Emily? How is it done?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 788
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The test is $45 at Animal Genetics. You pull hairs and send them in. Here is the link with all the info.
http://www.animalgenetics.us/Gray.htm

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Emily, I'm going to do this. :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Emily...I too can't wait to see what nature has in store for my Gracie...my last foal from this mare did not have one grey hair till 3 years old! So I am going to do it and I will post what they say!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the sample in the mail today. I can't wait to hear the results! Thank you again Emily!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant wait to here fingers crossed for grey!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you were fast!!! I have heard that you get a response about a week after they get the sample. So hopefully you won't have to wait to long!!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, moss doesn't grow on me. lol Or is it moss doesn't grow under my feet. Or is it moss doesn't grow on my feet... I forgot the saying, but you know what I mean. lol

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moss definately doesnt grow on you period especialy with Asia to care for

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 03:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi ladies

Just heard about the gray test and quickly got samples off in the mail today on Viuda and Nicola. It is real important to me to know if they are homozygous or not....can't wait to find out..

good luck marilyn hope you get the news you want...

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks you all! Hi Terry, it's been awhile since I've seen you post. I've missed you! Did you get any of your foals sold this year? They are beauties!!!

I hope you get the results you're looking for too Terry. How cool is this, hey! I'll let you know how mine turns out. I'm excited.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Terry & Marilyn...I sent off Gracie's samples today. This will be fun to find out!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 791
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am excited for you ladies. I can't wait to find out the results.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 321
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I did sell one filly and two colts to date....

I took Kenya (zane gray) to the Nationals in Las Vegas and he got 2nd and best movement.

Earlier in Aug...Galea won Absolute Champion and Doctora won Adult Best Movement and Ch. 4 year old mare at the ANCCE show in Southern CA. What a thrill...

G]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/100_0507.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/100_0519.jpg[/IMG]

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry that is awsome congratulations! Very pretty mares

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for my breed in the long run. the gray test is going to affect breeding choices and horse prices. I am very excited to know which mares carry color and can pass it on and which do not. As a breeder there are so many more choices with a heterozygous gray mare. Also stud fees for good blacks, chestnuts, and the dilutes are much higher so why bother with a homozygous mare. It is truly good news.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yippee! I believe Asia will be a grey. I see grey hairs mixed in in the hair that's growing back from areas that were scraped.

I'm so happy! I'm still curious as to how the test results will be.

Good luck Jan and Terry on your horses, I hope the test reveals exactly what your hoping for.

I'm looking at this gorgeous premium grey Holsteiner filly to buy, but the owner is not sure if she wants to sell her now. Waaaaa!!! She's expensive, but like Terry once told me, you have to have good stock to start out with, so I'm going by her very good advice. Thank you Terry! If this one doesn't work out, there are more out there. But I have my heart set on her. She has awesome bloodlines that I love and Asia and her share the same daddy, who was #1 of all the stallions in Germany in 1996. He is gorgeous as well. Wish me luck, she decides to sell her to me. I want her very badly!!!! Thanks!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sure hope it works out for you....if you get her would love to see pix...

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will definately post pictures Terry if we get her. I forgot to mention the mom to this filly is also premium status and reserve champion at one of the large Holsteiner approvals sites. So both parents are extremely well bred and very very pretty. I think this is going to work out well for us. I hope we get her!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~Got you in my thoughts and prayers that the recognize what a perfect home you would be for this filly!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both Viuda and Nicola tested GG or Homozygous for gray....no bay or black babies from these girls....boo hoo...

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh shoot Terry! So does that mean they'll only have grey babies no matter what the color of the stallion?

The stallion that Asia is bred to is a Gg and the mom is a chestnut, so I doubt Asia would be a GG. If she is a grey, I think she would be a Gg, since the stallion is a Gg and the mom doesn't have any grey. Is that right Terry?

Thanks Jan! We just got the bill from the Michigan vet, it's a whooper!!! The hard part is not getting a baby out of it. I don't know if I will be able to afford the filly now, but if it's meant to be, God will provide.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry....bummer......... but at least you know and that limbo period of "will they grey or not?" is answered and you can plan for the next generation by not breeding to a GG stallion so that you get baby that could possibly have color...just a thought. You got your results so quick! Hopefully I will have mine soon too.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn...That is the worse....I will still be praying for that filly to become apart of your family...How is Miss Asia doing?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer, I just called the Animal Genetics place. The hairs I sent in didn't have the roots, it just tore out. They told me it works better to get the hairs on the tail. Shoot, I didn't know that. So if anyone sends in hairs on a foal to be tested, take it from the tail.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry you found out the hard way....I had to DNA test Gracie for her registration papers and so we yanked tial hairs too. Do just a few at a time, wrap around your finger down low where the hair connects and jerk really quick. Don't try to take too many hairs at one time just causes pain for the horse and you come up empy handed....good luck :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 792
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry Marilyn. :-( I have done testing in the past so I knew that and I didn't think to tell you. :-(

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's alright. I didn't see any roots, but then again, I thought it was because of my old eyes not see properly. I'll make sure I do it correctly this time. Thank you Jan for explaining how to do it. :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the reason I got results so fast is they posted in an email...good luck...terry

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all~ I just got my results for the gray gene on Gracie..she tested...gg...horse tested negative for the Gray gene :-) I am very happy means she will stay chestnut with her blond mane and tail :-) Momma is gray and 1/2 brother is turning grey at 5 so I am excited to have a horse of a different color so to speak :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats...I would love that result one of these days....I am very excited as to how Viuda's filly is turning out although she is gray. With a heavy heart I sold Tahiti earlier this year but such deeds must go rewarded because the new filly looks a lot like Tahiti, just in a gray coat....the two fillies have the same grandsire and that is where this particular 'look" comes from. Verbena also has a much nicer temperment and "choose me" on the day she was born. Terry
[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/81508malonepeh391.jpg[/IMG]

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 793
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, that is great!! I am glad you got what you wanted. :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful horses Terry Im glad you have that connection with your filly besides grey is beautiful. lol I just bought mare foal pkg and the colt is gray I couldt be happier.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes gray can be beautiful...4 of my producing mares are gray and go from purest white to silver to dappled to flea bitten and each is a lovely feminine creature....some with silver mane, some with black, some with pink between their nostrils, some with charcoal gray noses...some black legs, some only dark gray knees...but all interesting and ALL CHANGE EACH YEAR.

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend that has a gray mare that is very silver with all blk skin shes beautiful but every year she gets blk spots about the size of a penny some are bigger. Each year she gets more iits very unique

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 05:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 2 grey mares 1 quarab 1 qh-paint and i love them! i think it is a lovely color but nobody can deny those good ole ever present shades of brown as almost anybody with horses has to have a brown one whether it be chestnut bay or sorrel or just brown. i also have a colt that will probrably be gray when he gets older may get him tested but will wait till we get done growing our hair back from first shed and see what color he is then but he has the black skin so possibly gray.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni

In our breed, a horse with those "spots" is called tordo picazo and is a rarity. Doctora is like this with each year she gets more and more spots, some large as a quarter, some mere dots...they are rusty colored as she is a genetic bay.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asia will go gray!!! Yea!!!!! She is Gg, so she has a 50% chance of the foals being gray. This is exactly what I hoped for, so I'm very happy right now. Yipppppeeeeee!!!!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, this mare is a missourri fox trotter these spots also occur anywhere she scrapes herself. Ill tell my friend what they are called thanks.

Marilyn YIPPEEEE Im so happy for you

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doctora's spots are not scrapes but actual pigment changes in her coat...i will try to take a picture....now her face is covererd with freckles and her body gets more every year.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doctora's spots are not scrapes but actual pigment changes in her coat...i will try to take a picture....now her face is covererd with freckles and her body gets more every year.

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/100_0519-1.jpg[/IMG]

Ashley Wick
Nursing Foal
Username: Riddlemethis

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are called fleabites by most people Terry.

Ashley Wick
Nursing Foal
Username: Riddlemethis

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres some more horses with fleabites
http://www.elpre.com/media/fotos/uyjtavlj.jpg
http://www.grullablue.com/colors/roancolor/fleabitten_gray.jpg

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an Arab that has these. We call him a Fleabite Arab.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn,
That is great!!! I am happy you got what you wanted!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just got the results for Fabulilla...also GG...so I have 3 homozygous grays in the group and 2 heterozygous grays...it is best to know what to expect when breeding every year.

Terry

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn~I am so happy for you that Asia is going to grey and you are lucky too that she tested Gg so that you can have some options when you decide to breed her in the future when you pick a stallion :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry~my mare is fleabitten grey too...her spots seem to really show when she is pregnant...

So 3 and 2 huh? It is good to know what to expect and you can be breeding for the third generation and only breed your GG mares to not grey caring stallion so that their offspring will not be homozygous....and you know that with the other 2 you have a shot at getting a colored foal....knowlege is empowering even if it is not what we hoped for :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doctora is what I refer to as a flea bitten grey the "bites" can be many shades of color. This mare is solid silver like a gun metal she doesnt have any of the roaning that often makes for a rose grey or flea bites just penny to quarter size dots that keep coming in. They are blk and fairly round.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan, I'm very happy with the results. Asia is shedding like a snake right now and gosh is she dark underneith all that fuzz. :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 5 year old gelding that is greying out had not one grey hair till he was over two so they grey out at different stages.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US