SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

APPALOOSA + BUCKSKIN QUESTION

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » APPALOOSA + BUCKSKIN QUESTION « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 647
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, first of all, I have a very oddly colored buckskin mare...her mane and tail aren't black and neither are her legs. she appears very washed out...but I don't think she's a silver buckskin.
[IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/Katelyn.jpg[/IMG]
I would like to breed her to my Leopard appaloosa stallion and wonder what would be the most likely possibilities.
The stallion is a black leopard with strong leopard lineage with every breeding being black for several generations. When bred to black and sorrel in the past, he has produced a black few spot, a black snowcap, and a coal black. I haven't done any genetics testing on him, but wondered if there would be any chance I'd get something different breeding him to a buckskin mare.
[IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/DSC01462.jpg[/IMG]

I have a sorrel snowcap appaloosa stallion too...and wondered if I'd be better off putting him with her for more color?
[IMG]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/DSC01761.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks in advance!
Diana

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I guess you would have more chance of spots if you went with the snowcap.

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Diana I have no idea of color genetics, but I thought I would mention to you this two things:
the genetic calculator?http://www.animalgenetics.us/CCalculator1.asp

although maybe the calculator con not process the appi variables,
and there are also a lot of appaloosa people at this board: equine color com.
Hope that helps!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks guys!

Sandy D
Breeding Stock
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana,
I've been breeding Appaloosas for 16 years now, so hopefully I can shed some light on this for you.
With your stud being a leopard, you have only a 50% chance of getting an Appy colored foal when bred to a solid mare. The only Appy coat pattern that will produce Appaloosa coat patterns 100% of the time is a fewspot leopard, no matter how many leopards are in the pedigree.
It's hard to determine exactly what color your buckskin mare is without knowing what color her sire and dam are. If she had blue eyes, I would say she looks more like a perlino rather than buckskin. A silver buckskin will have white hairs throughout the mane and tail. I had a silver buckskin and actually his color was very vibrant with his mane, tail and legs being very black, but he did have some white hairs through his mane.
Both your stallion and the buckskin mare do have a black gene, so you do have the chance of getting a black or bay, if the mare is homozygous for the agouti gene, (which limits black to the points) then you will get a bay. You could also get a buckskin if your mare passes the cream gene. (50% chance)

A true snowcap will produce Appaloosa color OR characteristics 100% of the time. Which means you could still get a "solid" foal, but it will have either mottled skin, white sclera around the eyes, or sriped hooves. A true snowcap must have Appaloosa parents. I also notice that your snowcap does have quite a bit of roaning, so you also run the chance of your foal roaning out with time. You also will get the same chances for a black, bay or buckskin since the stallion is a bay. (Not knowing whether or not the mare or stallion is homozygous for agouti).

Honestly, if you're looking for Appy color/characteristics, I'd use the snowcap :-)

Ashley Wick
Nursing Foal
Username: Riddlemethis

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be VERY VERY surprised if the mare was NOT silver and definitely NOT perlino or ANY double dilute.

DNA tested silver buckskin
http://cheyautranch.com/My_Homepage_Files/IMG_190.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US