SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Dunalino or Palomino

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Dunalino or Palomino « Previous Next »

phil mcgrowling
Weanling
Username: Liberty

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mare had a foal this morning. She is a smoky black with a cream gene and the baby's dad is a red dun. The baby looks to be either a dunalino or palomino. I was wondering if the dunalino always has to have the dun factor markings? My baby does not

charlene birdsall, Jetta born 3/20/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 921
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Phil. Yes a Dunalino has to have the dun factor markings, like the dorsal stripe, barring on the legs, etc. Can you post some pics of her, and I can tell you if she is or not. My mare is a bay dun, and her filly is also a bay dun tobiano. Congrats!!!! by the way.

phil mcgrowling
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I'll try to post a photo too

phil mcgrowling
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far these are the best pics I have been able to get.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t194/monkeybob07/Copyof102_1016.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t194/monkeybob07/phonepictures177.jpg

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a palomino to me, lucky you, wish my palomino babies were that gold.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 923
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like just a palomino to me too. She's cute! When you can, post some better pics. Try to get one her looking down the middle of her back.

Ashley Wick
Neonate
Username: Riddlemethis

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep just palomino.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darling baby! Congrats! Lovely color :-)

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep beautiful Palomino!!!

Kathy
Neonate
Username: Dreampainter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looks like a Gold Champagne to me, she has that sheen to her coat that champagnes have from day 1, and also she has the mottled skin around her nostrils...does she have speckled/mottled skin on her lips and under her tail as well? She is one pretty little girl!
Congrats!
Kathy

phil mcgrowling
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an older pic of the baby. We named her Sunny

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t194/monkeybob07/102_1026.jpg

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 987
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a cutie Phil! How is she doing with that rope halter? Is she leading well with it?

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil, she's beautiful!

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PHIL,she is a very beautiful color!

phil mcgrowling
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, she does great with the rope halter

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 989
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think they made rope halters that small. Where did you get it?

phil mcgrowling
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made the rope halter myself. You can find measurements for small all the way up to draft size horses at http://www.naturalhorsesupply.com/tiehalter.shtml

I used 18 feet of rope but still used smaller measurements than what it calls for for the small pony size horse

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Phil, we've made our own horse halters for a while now and love em. Thank you for the instructions as I think we've lost ours. Is there any way to make a lead rope using this material?

phil mcgrowling
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know if you can or not, I havent made a lead rope out of that material but I have made one out of the nylon rope they sale by the foot at home depot. I made a 15 foot one cause I couldnt find a lead rope anywhere that was that long, they were all too short or too long haha. I bet there might be a way though you could braid it some how, put a snap at one end and tie if off like you do at the nose part of the halter and then braid it tight until you get it as long as you want and then maybe put a knot at the end and then burn the ends off so they dont unravle??? I dont know, but its got me wondering now.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Phil, I'm not sure how it can be done, I'll have to put my thinking cap on. I don't like the single strand that I've used in the past, it tends to cut into my hand. Like you said you could braid the pieces... not sure if it would be thick enough yet. I'm just not sure...

If you come up with something, please let me know.

phil mcgrowling
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes the single strand leads tend to rope burn my hands, especially when i first start teaching the horse to lunge. I have seen the same kinda rope used to make rope halters in a thicker size, I might try something with it, depends on the price cause I have a feeling it would take quite a bit of rope if i was to braid it.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, that's what I was thinking too.

Beth
Yearling
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phil, Marilyn, to make those leadropes, try doing a simple round four strand plait. I have just started trying to make my own rope halters to, but I love working with leather best. If you don't know how to do a round four plait, any good book or site that teaches basic leatherwork techniques would have the instructions. It dosen't matter that it isn't instructions for using rope, the technique is still the same.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US