SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Appaloosa/ Buckskin cross

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Appaloosa/ Buckskin cross « Previous Next »

Dorthy Brown (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering what the chances of having an Appy colored foal when breeding to a buckskin stud?? My mare is red roan appy--she has many spots.

Sandy D
Yearling
Username: Sbr_appaloosas

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dorthy,
Unless your mare is a homozygous Appaloosa, you will have a 50% chance of getting a foal with Appy characteristics.
There are only 2 known Appaloosa coat patterns that will produce 100% Appaloosa coloring, and that is the snowcap and the fewspot leopard. With your mare being a roan, you probably have a better chance of your resulting foal roaning out as it gets older rather than having one born with spots.
The best way for you to get an Appaloosa colored foal is to breed to another Appaloosa.
I have been breeding Appaloosas for 13 years and believe me, I have done everything I can to try to preserve the color on the Appy. You can check out my website and look at my Appaloosa stallions to see the two different homozygous coat patterns I referred to.
www.angelfire.com/ut2/sbr/index.html

Dorthy Brown (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her legs and face are roan the rest of her is white with spots. I like the Appy look but I certainly wouldn't mind getting a Bucksin baby. Thanks for the info and your stallions are very beautiful!! I guess we'll just wait and see

jessica (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.171.93.128
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys, sorry to butt in..... I'm new to the site & hoping you could give me some insight. I have just bred my sorrel mare to a light colored palomino. her dam go freebie go was a sorrel her sire lucks chic gay was black. the studs dam was a buckskin and sire was a sorrel. this will be my first breeding. any quess on the precentages for color i will get. thanks!!!!

Sandy D
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorthy,
It sounds like your mare is a leopard or near leopard. They do have a better chance at producing color, but unfortunately, it is still a 50% chance.
With your mare having the base color of red, and you breed her to a buckskin, you actually have a better chance of getting a palomino rather than a buckskin. A palomino is produced by the red base coat being diluted by the cream gene. But you also only have a 50% chance of getting a foal that is diluted by cream. A buckskin only carries one copy of the cream dilution. You also have a chance of getting a black from this cross also. Or you could get a chestnut or a bay.
Thank for looking at my horses. I just love breeding Appaloosas, you just never know what color pattern you're going to get!
Jessica,
Welcome to the site!
When you breed a palomino to a sorrel/chestnut your color chances are:
50% palomino
50% chesnut/sorrel.

jessica (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.190.130.7
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Sandy! I would love a palomino. But I will be just as happy if she takes & mom & the baby are healthy & happy! I should be bringing her home this weekend. Hopefully first time is a charm ;)

Sandy D
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean. We always hope for certain colors, but what really matters is that everything goes well and we get a healthy foal.
I hope your mare is settled, it's always nice when it happens on the first try. And then you just have to kick back and wait til next year and then the stress starts all over again with the foal watch....breeding horses is just so much fun isn't it?
I have bred 3 of my own mares this year, and one of them I'm pretty sure has settled, but I'm not positive on the other two yet. I thought my TB mare was for sure in foal, but yesterday it kinda seemed like she might have been showing slight signs of heat, it's been 25 days since her last breed date. I'm going to check her with the stallion today and see what happens. I sure hope we can get her settled this year. She was in foal last year but absorbed somewhere around 40 days and she never came back into heat until way late in the year, so we didn't breed her back. She has always been a mare that settles easily and foals easily, so I'm not really sure what's going on with her.

Dorthy B (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I think the same, as long as mare and foal are healthy thats all that matters........ All foals are cute no matter their color. And we plan on keeping the foal so we'll love it and think its a beauty no matter what.
My mare is seeing the vet AGAIN tomorrow to try to figure out whats going on--she was bred May 29th took her to the vet on June 13th he said not pregnant but should ovulate on sat the 18th so took her back to the stud, where she's been since and has not come into heat. So back to the vet tomorrow. I'm actually hoping he just missed the pregnancy but its probably just wishful thinking

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US