SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Grey sire X Grulla Dam=what colors?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Grey sire X Grulla Dam=what colors? « Previous Next »

Joyce
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure about the grey gene. The stallion is Grey, his sire is Black and his Dam is grey.

Dam is Grulla. How do I put the grey color into the color calculator? I know there is something about a base color, how do I tell what that is with the Stallion?

I'm looking at stallions and I'm wondering about what colors I would get if I breed my Grulla mare to a Grey stallion.

Thanks for any help!

Joyce

lori holland
Weanling
Username: Canspicuousblue

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think but im not sure if you breed to a gray horse of any kind you have a 50% chance of the foal being gray..

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since only one parent of the Stallion is grey then he would not be homozygous for grey...Grey is a modifing gene. If your horse inherits the grey gene they will grey out but the stallion is giving both colors off to his offspring some grey modifier and some not grey. But you must have a grey parent to get a grey horse. Both my mare's parents were grey so all of her offspring will grey out...the base coat is the color they were before greying out...but with Grulla would you not want to breed to something to get color :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS no offense to all of us grey lovers just starting out with a horse of color..??....

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, what do you mean, but with a Grulla you would not want to breed to something to get color?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...I meant if you have a Grulla would one not want to breed to something that you would get color only eliminating the chance of that color greying out. For instance I have a beautiful chestnut filly but...her mom is grey both her parents were grey so pretty much all of her off spring will be grey fine with me but if she were a grulla I would probably would choose a stallion that would give me a chance at some nice colored babies...just my personal thougts. I love greys have two already and one more future grey :-)

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I know what you mean Jan! I actually agree after giving it some thought. I've decided to use the blk/white pinto stud. I'd be able to get Grulla and white pinto, Grulla, and other wonderful colors. I finally figured out how to use the Color Calculator with a grey parent. I had to put black in for the base color.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) Sounds like you will get a beautiful baby :-) And a nice surprise the day it is born as to what color:-)

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan! The former owner bred her in October with a blk/white pinto and I bought the mare in January. A positive weefoal, then an ultrasound as the mare looked much further along. Couldn't find a baby on ultrasound, then a negative weefoal. She looks as pregnant as could be. Oh well, we'll have to try for next year.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those mares can be really tricky sometimes...if I remember this is a mini right?

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES, You did remember her! Want to see a picture from a few days ago? She is still covered with winter coat as we are still getting down to the 30's at night. I'm sick of it!!!!
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j221/joycesgrooming/CopyofDSC00456.jpg

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a cutie.she will make beautiful babies :-)

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan, I bought her to keep my big paint mare company and I've totally falling in love with minis now! I don't know why her belly is so big though. Everybody says shes pregnant!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US