SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Color classification?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Color classification? « Previous Next »

Jackie
Breeding Stock
Username: Justafarm

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondering if some of you paint experts out there could tell me what my colt is (tobiano, etc.)? I know nothing about paint breeding. I purchased the mare (registered APHA) through a rescue not even knowing she was pregnant! He is a tri color paint and has a solid black tail and mixed mane. Here are a couple pics of him at one month old. Thanks so much!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/justafarm/pokey1.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/justafarm/pokey2.jpg

(Message edited by justafarm on May 02, 2008)

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 650
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is gorgeous!!!!! And yes, he is tobiano. :-)

Jackie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I think he is quite the handsome little guy and I can't believe how much muscle development he has at only one month old And he's such a gentlemen, I just love him! I would love to find out who daddy is. It's pretty obvious he was a paint, but who?!?

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 179
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie - What a handsome colt you have!!! He is definitely a Tobiano coat pattern. Right now he looks to be Bay/White. There is no such thing as a "Tri Color" paint. That is just a word people use - it is not a paint color. Your colt just happens to have that handsome black mane and tail. So I take it that you won't have papers. I would register him Pinto. They will register on color and he definitely qualifies for that. Pinto is a great registry and offers quality shows.

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are how the APHA classifies pattern
you can go to BREED tab and check out colors as well, i have heard people call tri color, mine is th--same black tail hair--one of his grad sires was black and white but he is considered sorrel (he looks identical to the tovero)

http://www.apha.com/breed/tobiano.html

http://www.apha.com/breed/overo.html

http://www.apha.com/breed/tovero.html

he is beautiful!!
is there anyway you can find out who had the mare? there will be some kind of record where they got her. You can google a name if they have one! or you can also get the information from the APHA if you have her reg. name! they will give you a name and possible and address. You can track down a stallion if you can find a owner. Your baby has a much better chance in life with the way the market and things are going with papers. I not one for pushing but at least you can give the baby a chance in life if somethind were to happen and you couldnt keep it.

TRY the american half quarter as well. its like $15 for you to be a member, and $15 or 20 to reg. babys. as long as one parent is of AQHA or APHA. They will take any cross as long as one parent is eather or. Your resulting foal and foals foals... will have papers. Just like the Pinto ass.

ohh try this link http://www.apha.com/breed/geneticeq.html
explanes genetics better

and this is the other
http://www.halfquarterhorseregistry.com/

Jackie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info everyone. I have been trying to track down where my mare had access to a stallion. The poor girl had 4 owners in the past year, so it's a difficult process. All clues lead me to think that the only place she would have had access to a stallion was at the farm she was bred at. I do have her papers and have been trying to get a hold of her breeder, but their info is unlisted. I am planning on getting him registered through one of the registries, just haven't chosen which one yet.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie: I have some access to APHA if you can give me your mare's registered name. (I might be able to find a breeder's report on there for you) No promises but I can try.

He definately has a Tobiano pattern but without knowing who the father is, you can't be sure that he is a true tobiano breeding. (I would assume so but it could be a tovero stallion who can throw a tobiano or an overo pattern).

Jackie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! Mare is Dancers Sassy Lady. Don't have her papers with me at the moment, but can get her registration number if that helps.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie: Let me try the name...if I need more, I'll let you know.

Hey...its worth a try to see if there is some stallion breeding report out there...the worst that could happen is you might have to settle a stud fee in order to receive a release for registration...worth a shot...I'll let you know if and what I find.

Jackie
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US