SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Solid Appaloosas

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Solid Appaloosas « Previous Next »

Beth
Yearling
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi
What are the characteristics of a solid appaloosa? My golden palomino mare has no white leg markings but her hooves are pale and striped. Her tail isn't very full [isn't that an appaloosa characteristic?]either. She is of Australian Stock Horse/ Quarter Horse breeding- sire and dam are unknown. Could she be a solid appaloosa?

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palomino is not a colour commonly found in Appaloosas. Many coloured horses can have striped hooves for eg. Paints, chestnuts and the derivatives thereof etc. I have also seen purebred show Welshies with white sclera and striped hooves. Draught horses can also have white sclera and striped hooves.

If your horse is of QH breeding the chances are pretty good that it's Paint influence somewhere back in the pedigree causing the striped hooves. An Appaloosa hoof is striated and there is quite a big difference between the stripe in another breed and the striations that occur in Appaloosa hooves. Horses with half a sock or a coronet might also have a particolour / striped hoof.

Sparse manes and tails used to be considered characteristics of Appaloosas [supposedly because full manes and tails would not be an asset to a horse used for the purposes the original Native American Appaloosas were used for]. However, that 'characteristic' has for the most part been bred out of [show] horses and it's usually only foundation-type horses which might exhibit it.
It's now considered by most to be a sign of lack of breeding and many people will not breed with horses with sparse manes and tails. It doesn't look nice and tails, especially, are pretty useful for fly swishing and keeping the sun off the delicate skin under the tail.

I would say your mare is not Appaloosa, but possibly carrying Paint somewhere along the line. That's one of the reasons why correct pedigrees and descriptions of horses is so important - you never know when you might need or want to know

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other characteristics would be motteling around the eyes and nose as well as on the udders...and under the tail.

My friend has a solid bay with a sparse tail, a few white hairs all over the body....and some nice motteling on her udders.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jane, its me again --- Cate the "former" App person.

At the present time, a horse without the color pattern on his coat can be registered with the Appaloosa Horse Club. The registry is based upon the pedigree of the horse reflecting a recognized Appaloosa bloodline. The horse must be the offspring of two registered Appaloosa parents or an Appaloosa and a horse from an approved breed registry. Appaloosas are commonly crossbred with Arabian horses, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds, and these offspring are eligible for registration. When registering a solid-colored horse, it must be blood typed and there must be a DNA link established to both parents. The owner of the horse then must pay to have the horse inspected. The registration papers then indicate that the horse is not colored, but is registered through the Certificate Pedigree Option CPO. CPO horses can be shown in ApHC approved events; however, CPO horses do have breeding restrictions. A CPO registered horse can be upgraded to regular registration at any time if the horse begins to show a color pattern.

Though there is much debate about CPO, the preface of the ApHC rule book states that the Appaloosa is "a breed defined by ApHC bloodline requirements and preferred characteristics, including coat pattern." In other words, the Appaloosa is a distinct breed that also has a color preference. It is not strictly a "color breed" as many people believe.

A lot depends on the inspector but most want to see the characteristics of mottled skin, striped hooves and the scelera.

You are right in saying that a sparse mane and tail is an App characteristic but it is not used as a registration characteristic per se. Too many environmental factors (i.e., diet, tail-chewing pasture buddy) can influence it.

AS a side note, Palomino is not a "typical" App color but they do exist. They used to be registered as dun as the App registry believe that Palomino is a seperate breed and didn't recognize it. I know this personally as one of the best horses I have ever owned was a Palomino App. She was a "show-type" Trigger Palomino with a big blaze, four white stockings and a snow white mane and tail. I mean this was Trigger's little sister! She had snowflakes over her rump and we had to get an inspector out to sign off on them. (This was back in the days of NO WAY, NO HOW would they register a solid horse). She was registered as a dun though per ApHC. One of the top 5 best horses I have owned.

Michele
Yearling
Username: Mich

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Appaloosas with stockings and wide blazes have Paint in them if you trace the bloodline back far enough. Anything with Plaudette in it for sure as she was a piebald. Stockings and blazes are not Appaloosa characteristics however there are plenty of them registered today...

A sparse mane and tail is no longer considered an Appaloosa characteristic but it is allowed.

Beth
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone! I don't know anything about her breeding background, she looks like there might be QH there though. She hasn't got the mottling or any white leg or face markings. The reason I asked was because her 2 1/2 year old chestnut filly is starting to get some white barely-noticeable-unless-you're-looking-for-them flecks and I heard Appaloosas colour up.

Beth
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a close look at her udder a while back (I meant to post this then but forgot) and she HAS got mottling!! Its quite faint but its there.

Loretta Grosset
Neonate
Username: Appycowgirl64

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 04:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks are way off base here.
#1 - In order for a mare to be hardshipped if she has a solid coat is that she will definitely have to have mottling and one other characteristic like stripped hooves or sclera and she will have to be spayed. Same thing goes for male horses, they will have to be gelded. ApHC will not hardship any horse that is still in breeding tact.
#2 - There are plenty of palominos in the App breed. Some are solids and some have coat patterns.
#3 - Just because there is pink in the udders does necessarily mean it is mottling since I have foals that have pink in the udders but the ApHC does not consider it mottling. It would have to be broken up throughout the udder and you would probably need to show definite mottling in another area as well which would be either the muzzle, around the eyes or in the anal / vulva area. I had a filly with some very shady mottling under her tail and the ApHC would not consider that mottling. They did consider the little bit of pink out of her anal as mottling.
#4. The ApHC no longer does CPO, instead it is the Performance Permit Option (PPO) which will be for solid horses that don't have mottled skin and one of the other characteristics such as stripped hooves or sclera. If a solid App horse has only sclera or stripped hooves or no characteristics, they will be given non characteristic papers.

I have Apps that have a solid coat, but because they have mottled skin and sclera and/or stripped hooves, they have regular papers and can be bred to any App or the approved outcrosses and I have other Apps that have solid coats but no other characteristics and they will have go through having DNA done so I can apply for the PPO so they can be shown at ApHC shows and they will have to be bred to a regular papered App.

Another thing that I find a complete misconception on, is if you breed your App to an approved outcross which is TB, QH or Arab, your resulting foal can be registered with the ApHC even if it is solid coated. If it is given papers that have an "N" in front of its registration number because it doesn't have mottled skin and one other App characteristic of either sclera and/or stripped hooves, it can be shown as long as you DNA and pay for the PPO.
Also, any App with a "N, CN or B" in front of its registration number, must be bred to an Appaloosa
only who does not have an "N, CN, or B" in front of its registration number.

The four App characterisitcs are coat pattern, mottled skin, stripped hooves and sclera.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US