MAIN PAGE
EQUINE REPRODUCTION ARTICLES
SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page
 
Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board
 
Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
New Posts New Posts Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

AQHA Mare (Sorrel) x 97% B/W Appaloosa Stud, What Color Foal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » AQHA Mare (Sorrel) x 97% B/W Appaloosa Stud, What Color Foal? « Previous Next »


Author Message
 

Tammy Black
Neonate
Username: Blacktm

Post Number: 1
Registered: 02-2008
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently purchased a Sorrel Quarter Horse Mare and found out she was bred to a 97% foundation black and white Appaloosa Stud. Can anyone tell me what color the foal might be?
 

Diana Gilger
Yearling
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 71
Registered: 01-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, your possibilities are endless if that's all you know. Is the appy stud a few spot or snow cap? What are his other offspring like? Is he a proven appy producer?
 

Tammy Black
Neonate
Username: Blacktm

Post Number: 2
Registered: 02-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I contacted my mare's previous owner and this is what she said.....Her 97% FPD stallion is the spitting image of a horse called Butterwap Confetti. Does this help any? Oh, and he has no offspring as of yet.
 

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/5/08
Weanling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 39
Registered: 04-2007
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butterwap Confetti is a blk & wht snowcap. Snowcaps are supposed to be hompzygous so you will get a least appaloosa characteristics. (sclera, striped hoves or mottled skin) Or you could get a a blanket of some kind, maybe all the above.
UCDavis has a good site for coat color
http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/coatcolorhorse.php
 

Tammy Black
Neonate
Username: Blacktm

Post Number: 3
Registered: 02-2008
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. At first, I was a bit disappointed that she was with foal. I felt like I had been cheated in a way. But now the more I think about it, the more excited I become. Truth be told I don't really care what color we get as long as it's healthy.
I'm told she should foal sometime in June.
By the way! This will be my first so I'm doing everything I'm told including an ultrasound. What exactly is an ultrasound for?
 

Tania
Neonate
Username: Andaloosa

Post Number: 2
Registered: 03-2008
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tammy

There is no guarantee of anything with appaloosas LOL, but there IS an excellent website where major studies have been done on appaloosa genetics.

http://www.appaloosaproject.info/

I bred my black leopard appaloosa stallion (100% fpd) to my appaloosa x andalusian bay near leopard mare and got a SOLID BAY filly in 2007. What a shock that was.

If the stallion is snowcap or fewspot, you stand a good chance of spots if your mare is solid!
I am waiting on three foals this year, we will have to compare notes lol.
 

Valerie Myers
Weanling
Username: Libertybelle

Post Number: 48
Registered: 06-2007
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan and Jos, if you're out there. I posted last year about my Bay Mare Overo being bred to a Cremello stallion, we were hoping for a buckskin paint foal. Well we're finally getting close! Belle is due in about 4 weeks, 5 if we're getting a colt!! I hope it's a colt bucksking paint. She's doing really well and I will post some pics soon. That 11 months went by pretty dang fast! We did the color testing at UCD and we're 50/50 on Buckskin vs Palomino, and 50/50 on Paint vs Solid. So we'll see!
 

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 255
Registered: 12-2007
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Valerie,I HAVE A BLK/WHT TOBIANO BREED TO A CREMELLO STALLION AND HOPING FOR A BUCKSKIN PAINT FILLY OR A PALOMINO PAINT FILLY,SO I WAS EXCITED TO SEE SOME ONE ELSE WAITING FOR THE SAME KIND OF FOAL.GOOD LUCK,MY MARE IS DUE APRIL 19TH,
 

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 431
Registered: 03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valerie: I think your chances of Palomino are higher than Buckskin since the stallion is cremello and your mare is a bay.

Cremello stallion would have only red genes to pass. The Bay mare could have one red and one black, or two black. If she has one red, then you have 3 red genes and one black in the mix, giving you 75% chance of palomino and 25% chance of buckskin.

If your bay mare is homo for black EE and has no red gene (remember a bay horse is actually a black horse with the Agouti geneAA), then you will get your buckskin no matter what.

Isnt genetics fun?

Deb
 

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 432
Registered: 03-2005
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy, do you know if your black and white mare is homo for black or not? She could be Ee or EE depending on whether she is homo for black. The Cremello stallion is going to be ee (red gene only), so if your mare is homo for black, you will get a buckskin every time. If your mare is not homo for black Ee, then you have a 75% chance I think of buckskin or 25% palomino.

I have a perlino stallion homo for creme CrCr, and also homo for Tobiano TT but not homo for black, so he is Ee, and I have a homo tobi homo Bay mare, who is EeAATT. I have a 75% chance of buckskin and 25% chance of palomino from that cross. The foal will be 100% paint as both parents are homozygous for tobiano. You can see my stallion at www.djscoloredcorral.com

Deb



Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service
 

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US