SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Eye Color

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Eye Color « Previous Next »

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are my chances of getting a baby with blue eyes. My mare is a b/s paint. Her dad is a red dun overo, and the stallion I bred her to is a homozygous black and white Tobiano. Can my mare still carry the overo gene even though she is considered a breeding stock paint?

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure, it's possible. The stallion could also carry an overo gene. If he has a white blaze, he probably has either overo, splash, or sabino. Overo and Splash can be responsible for blue eyes.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 374
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Colleen. The daddy(A Tru Rolex)only has one overo way back in his lines, and he only has a little star. You can see what he looks like herehttp://www.geocities.com/atrurolex/. This is my mare[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/P1010032.jpg[/IMG]

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From looking at the stallion, I would say he carries an overo or splash gene and probably a sabino gene. See the jagged edges to his markings, probably caused by sabino. The mapping or halo around his markings are not present with just a pure tobiano. A true tobiano with no other white factor will have a completely solid head, so something else is causing the facial white. There are SEVERAL sabino genes that can be working together on a given individual, however, there are not tests available for all of them, so color genetics is still an inexact science. check this www.equinecolor.com

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Colleen, you really think he carries an overo or splash gene, and a sabino. Do you have any pics of a true tobiano so I could compare? He only has a really small star, and snip. I have looked at that website before extensively. It's a really good website. So do you think my baby could have blue eyes? So can my mare carry the over gene even though she is a bs paint? This is what she looks like[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/PA280019.jpg[/IMG]. This is her daddy,[IMG]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/scan-1.jpg[/IMG]

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, Personally, I doubt that the baby will have blue eyes if neither parent has them. We had a colt last year out of a blue-eyed tobiano/splash/sabino mare and he has two brown eyes, like his sire. I'm not sure that a lot of study has been made into the eye color genetics. At least I haven't found much research, except that linking it to the splash and overo genes.

Hard to tell without testing, but your mare's sire looks like he could carry either the splash gene or the overo gene (or both). There has been some discussion as to which gene tends to create the "smile" spots. The wide blaze on your mare indicates some sort of a white pattern gene, but I couldn't tell which one by looking.

Tansy Brassfield
Yearling
Username: Spccutnoak

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a tobiano mare that is only tobiano according to her pedigree and she has two brown eyes and was bred to my palomino QH stud and they produced a tobiano with a partial blue and crazy markings. All of her other babys have been 50/50 marked tobiano's no blue eyes, only this one.
http://www.brassfieldranch.com/2005colt.htm

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her pedigree will not reveal the dna make up. In the paint world, she will be called a tobiano or an overo...but there are a lot of other variables. Crazy markings almost always mean there is another white gene at work. The blue eyes definitely mean there is another gene at work.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tansy for your inmput. Your horses are beautiful, by the way.

Colleen I just bought the book "equine color genetics". It's very interesting, but can get very "deep". I hoping it will give me the answers to my questions.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 386
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen, what are "smile" spots? Here shortly I'm going to send in a mane sample to UC Davis to test for Red Factor and Agouti. Do they have a test for the splash or overo gene?

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smile spots are the pigmented spots on the sides of their mouth. Makes em look like their smiling (-:

Yes, I believe they have tests for both.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US