SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

AQHA Colt looks like Overo but not a Sabino

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » AQHA Colt looks like Overo but not a Sabino « Previous Next »

Brassfield Ranch
Neonate
Username: Cutnoak

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a weanling colt that has a bald face, two partial blue eyes and four over the knee high white socks. I assumed he carried the sabino gene since he comes from two AQHA parents but I tested him and he doesn't. What other gene can make him look like an Overo? Can he still pass on these markings to his offspring or was this just a fluke thing he came out like this? Thanks, Tansy

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What breed of horse is he?

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AQHA will except him if the markings start below the knees and the face markings are connected. There is a few stipulations to this rule but for the most part they will now days. His offspring will proably have a lot of white in theses areas two. I would be careful when breeding to other aqha with alot of white you might get an out crop and not able to register. He could not thrw his white at all to. If you do breed him start with a few mare that have no white for a "test season".

corina gabel
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

205. GENETIC DEFECTS AND UNDESIRABLE TRAITS

(d) White Markings: A horse having white markings with
underlying light skin beyond any one of the following described lines
shall be eligible for registration by AQHA only if it is parentage verified
through DNA typing the offspring, its sire and its dam. Breeders
should be aware that the American Quarter Horse, while long recognized,
identified and promoted as a solid-colored horse, can and does
occasionally produce offspring with overo paint characteristics. Such
markings are uncharacteristic of the breed and are considered to be
undesirable traits. The following notification shall be placed on registration
certificates of horses exceeding these marking limitations:
“This horse has white markings designated under AQHA rules
as an undesirable trait and uncharacteristic of the breed.”
(1) A line parallel with the ground drawn around the front
leg at the point halfway between the point of the elbow (the center
of the olecranon tuberosity or proximal epiphysis of the ulna) and
the protrusion on the back of the knee (the accessory carpal bone or
lateral styloid process).
(2) A line parallel with the ground at the center of the
gaskin on the hind legs. (The center of the gaskin shall be defined as
an imaginary point on the front of the gaskin equidistant between
the stifle joint and the center of the hock.) The top point of reference
to be the bony protrusion on the inside (medial) of the stifle
region (technically known as the medial condyle of the tibia) and
the most prominent bony protrusion at the top and inside of the
hock (technically known as the medial malleolus of the tibia).
(3) A line around the horse’s neck immediately behind the
poll and through the midpoint of the throat latch.
(4) Within an area described as two inches on either side
of the ventral midline, beginning at a point midway between the
front legs and extending to, and including, the sheath and udder.
(5) Additionally, there is allowed a single area of white
markings with underlying light skin, such that it can be completely
covered with a disk one inch in diameter, either free standing on the
horse’s body or being a portion of white marking extending past the
above prescribed lines.
(6) Areas of white, pink or mottled skin located on the
horse’s genitalia, including the sheath or udder, in the axillary region
(armpits) or inside the hind legs, including the inner surface of the
hindquarters up to and including the ventral surface of the tail, and
which are not readily visible when the horse is in a standing position
are not considered white markings as described in (d) above.

corina gabel
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

205. GENETIC DEFECTS AND UNDESIRABLE TRAITS
(d) White Markings: A horse having white markings with
underlying light skin beyond any one of the following described lines
shall be eligible for registration by AQHA only if it is parentage verified
through DNA typing the offspring, its sire and its dam. Breeders
should be aware that the American Quarter Horse, while long recognized,
identified and promoted as a solid-colored horse, can and does
occasionally produce offspring with overo paint characteristics. Such
markings are uncharacteristic of the breed and are considered to be
undesirable traits. The following notification shall be placed on registration
certificates of horses exceeding these marking limitations:
“This horse has white markings designated under AQHA rules
as an undesirable trait and uncharacteristic of the breed.”
(1) A line parallel with the ground drawn around the front
leg at the point halfway between the point of the elbow (the center
of the olecranon tuberosity or proximal epiphysis of the ulna) and
the protrusion on the back of the knee (the accessory carpal bone or
lateral styloid process).
(2) A line parallel with the ground at the center of the
gaskin on the hind legs. (The center of the gaskin shall be defined as
an imaginary point on the front of the gaskin equidistant between
the stifle joint and the center of the hock.) The top point of reference
to be the bony protrusion on the inside (medial) of the stifle
region (technically known as the medial condyle of the tibia) and
the most prominent bony protrusion at the top and inside of the
hock (technically known as the medial malleolus of the tibia).
(3) A line around the horse’s neck immediately behind the
poll and through the midpoint of the throat latch.
(4) Within an area described as two inches on either side
of the ventral midline, beginning at a point midway between the
front legs and extending to, and including, the sheath and udder.
(5) Additionally, there is allowed a single area of white
markings with underlying light skin, such that it can be completely
covered with a disk one inch in diameter, either free standing on the
horse’s body or being a portion of white marking extending past the
above prescribed lines.
(6) Areas of white, pink or mottled skin located on the
horse’s genitalia, including the sheath or udder, in the axillary region
(armpits) or inside the hind legs, including the inner surface of the
hindquarters up to and including the ventral surface of the tail, and
which are not readily visible when the horse is in a standing position
are not considered white markings as described in (d) above.

Brassfield Ranch
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is registered with AQHA and I bought him to breed to my paint mares that are not homozygous. He is a very well-bred colt by a son of Shining Spark. I was just hoping he is still able to pass on his high whites. I personally love a lot of white on AQHA horses, he doesn't have any belly spots just the high whites partial blues and almost bald face.
here is some pics of him
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/tansybrassfield/Bart12-13-07001.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/tansybrassfield/Bart12-13-07043.jpg

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 641
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I read the first post slower I would of realized you said he was from 2 AQHA parents! It looked like he might have some white on his chin, does he? If he has white on his chin and the high white socks those are markers for sabino. You can only test for one sabino gene but there are others so just because he tested negative doesn't mean he's not sabino. The thing about sabino though is that there is no guarentee he will pass it on :-(

Beth
Weanling
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horses that have white chins and white leg markings of any height that have that form an arrow or ^ at the top are sabinos or have sabino in their genotype. Sabino is a dominant pattern. Tracy, I agree with you, it does look like he has a white chin but its hard to tell.

Jeanette Gower, author of Horse Colour Explained and owner of Chalani Australian Stock Horse Stud in South Australia, is an equine genetist here in Australia and in her book I mentioned above, she states that this is her PERSONAL opinion.

" I believe that sabino is the controlling mechanism for white markings in all solid horses and that the sabino pattern is the natural expansion of white seen on the average horse"

I quoted that from Horse Colour Explained page 71. I'll try and see if Jeanette Gower has a website in case anyone's interested.

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link to Jeanette's stud.

www.chalani.net/home.php

Brassfield Ranch
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked today and he does have a lot of white on his chin. One question- in order to get sabino does one parent have to express it? Or is it hidden?

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sabinos can be marked very minimally, to the extent of looking solid with white markings. If the horse has a white chinspot and a white leg marking that ends in a ^ , the horse is a carrier for sabino.

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tansy,
I have several sabinos one of which is a QH marked much like yours with a belly spot and some roaning to boot. The Sabino test is very new and many horses that carry the sabino gene and display the criteria actually test negative for the gene.
Clydesdales are sabinos yet test negative, go figure. I would go with the 50/50 rule on him throwing alot of chrome to his offspring. Just assume that he is heterozygous for sabino and that it will be roughly 50/50 on his offspring recieving some sabino traits, of course this can be from mild to extreme markings.
It may also help if you know what his sire and dam looked like and if one or both had a tendency to throw alot of foals with sabino traits.
My Qh's sire had a strong tendency to throw more chrome than he himself displayed.
He's a cutie either way.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 655
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth, it can be recessive and the parents may not show sabino traits at all. I have the best story actually :-) My bay mare with one small white sock (no white on her face at all) was bred to a bay stallion with 4 small white socks and a small white strip on his face, no white on his chin. The first two times I got bay horses, one (my current stallion) looks just like dad, the second looks just like mom :-) The third foal is a chestnut sabino!!! Here is a pic of her
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/004.jpg

You can see her belly spot, she does have white on her chin too, you just can't see it with her face in her grain bin!!

To say I was blown away when she was born is an understatement I'll be curious to see if she passes it on if I ever breed her.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 656
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I didn't mean Beth, I meant Tansy :-)

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a solid dark bay mare with no white markings but who has a chin spot and roaning in her flanks,,,,,a white patch near her udder.....Sabino????

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, I am by no means an expert, I'm learning as I go ever since my mare popped out my sabino filly but I would say that is suspicious for having the ability to have a sabino foal.

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,
You may very well have a sabino/rabicano or both in your bay mare with the belly spot and roaning. Does she have a skunk tail or white hairs in her mane as well? Usually the roaning is more associated with the rabicano gene (so I'm told) than sabino but they can have one or both. The rabicano gene is more associated with roaning and splash type irregular markings on various areas of the body and usually these individuals have the skunk tail markings of white hairs at the top of the tail. Both can produce a variety of colorful markings. I've seen a site that has alot of info. about sabino/rabicano and I'll look it up and get back to you with the address for it. I haven't looked at it in some time but am sure it's still around.

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay,
I found the site I mentioned, it has lots of info. and pics on numerous color types, patterns ect.
It's www.equinecolor.com and it's very informative on all types of color from dilutes to sabinos and more. I think you'll like it and find it quite informative and helpful.
You can look at the pics and compare to the type of markings you mare has.

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you...interesting site...if this mare is sabino (not rabicano-no skunk tail at all) she is a minimal one...small lip spot the size of a quarter, roaning in the flanks only and splatter white spot just in front of the udder...I have another bay no white by the same sire with similar very subtle markings....just a point of interest

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Neonate
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, January 27, 2008 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'm new to this site, have a 9mo pregnant blk/wht TWH mare.
Just thought I would share a picture of my Loud Black Sabino TWH, for some reference photos.
I bought him 8 mos ago, for a spare while mare
is foaling.
http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/20561/2016179590048868759S425x425Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb11.webshots.com/38154/2772635240048868759S425x425Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/40839/2796843220048868759S425x425Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/18650/2036562720048868759S425x425Q85.jpg

(Message edited by raknrydr on January 27, 2008)

(Message edited by raknrydr on January 27, 2008)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JO Angela~What a cute face! Sweet Boy!

Jackie
Weanling
Username: Jackieb

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious but why would you breed your mare if she is only 9 mos old....
Or is did you mean 9 mos along.. :P

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 01:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She meant that she was 9 months pregnant in the photo. I don't know if you've seen the other thread but she recently lost the foal at birth and is fairly upset :-(

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brassfield,
You can also "double" register him with the Paints and from what I know, the "doubles" are really "hot" right now.
He is a very nice colt and being a Shining Spark, I bet you paid a pretty penny for him.
Did you buy him from Carol Rose direct?
Are you planning on showing him (reining, working cowhorse, etc.)?
He is super nice!
I know the Shining Spark horse, I'd be curious to know what his mama is (i.e., how is she bred?)

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately the outcrop registration with APHA for QH's has changed (due to AQHA now accepting outcrops in the registry)and now they only allow you to register with Apha if one of the parents is registered with Apha.
I have a full registered QH marked very much like this with the addition of some roaning and a belly spot and drug my feet on doing his Apha registry and now can't.
They are quite popular among the Apha show people and tend to do extremely well in the show ring.
Of course, if something has changed on that rule please let me know cause I've got one I'd like to get in with Apha as well.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis is probably right. I haven't kept up with ApHA registration for a few years now. I am going off my experience several years back when I doubled registered my AQHA gelding and he was barely a crop-out, I mean he had one hind stocking that just barely went above the hock line on the front of his leg, but he does have a totally white muzzle, under his chin included, that is what cinched it.
You probably do have to have at least one ApHA parent now, as I remember back several years ago, some Paint people were raising the roof asking for that.
Check with the National Association. I am sure they have a web page with all the reg. rules and stuff.

tiffanie bennett
Neonate
Username: Benntiffanie

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The APHA Rule Book is slightly confusing. I sent the question through their web site, and will let you know what the response is. I had originally thought that you struck gold with him since double registered paint stallions are so popular. It would be too bad if the rule is not allowing them anymore. I will post the response on this page once I hear back.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tiffanie!
I am interested in this now. Like Phyllis, I have a horse that I am wondering if she would qualify. Its a yearling AQHA filly. She isn't that remarkable except for the fact she has two spots each about the size of fifty-cent pieces. One is on her neck just behind her throatlatch and the other is on her hip, down low. She just has a star and does have three white legs, one high stockinged but not over the knee. I was wondering about double registering her. I have a gelding (who is now 14) who is double registered and you are 100% correct in saying that the double registered stallions are really popular right now. But I think they (the Paints have changed the rules here recently like Phyllis says). I would be interested in know what you find out.

tiffanie bennett
Neonate
Username: Benntiffanie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question that I asked was if a foal with 2 AQHA parents would be eligable for registration with the APHA if it had enough white to fit the requirements for regular paint registry. This is the response that I got:

Dear Ms. Bennett,

They are eligible only if they were produced from a breeding that took place before January 1, 2005 and they qualify for Regular Registry.
If you should have any questions, please contact me at 817-222-6437.

Allyson Pennington
Registrar
American Paint Horse Association
Fax: 817-834-3152

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tiffanie,
I don't know how old Phyllis' horse is but mine is just a yearling and she wouldn't be eligible now. They do have to have one ApHA parent.

So they changed it in 2005? Hmmmm.... wonder if AQHA should take a look at their crop-out rule again since the Paints have shut them out.

Thanks for the info!

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiffanie,
That's great and thanks a bunch. I never thought to write and ask for specifics but saw that the new registry papers and requirements were stating one parent had to be Apha now so just left it at that.
I am very glad to hear this cause my gelding will qualify then and can still be registered with them, he's coming 6yrs old.
I think I'll give them a phone call this week when I'm off and get some more info. so i can get off my rear and get this done.
It's a real bummer they're not still allowing the crop -out QH's to continue registering with them.
I guess they figure since AQHA is now accepting all colors and the crop-outs now there's no longer a need to extend the courtesy.
Catherine, It's a shame you can't register your filly with them but you can still go with Ptha and qualify.
Actually, i think I'm going to go with both Apha and then afterwards go with Ptha. This way he can show in a wider variety of arenas.
You never know what a purchaser may prefer and he will be for sale later this year or next.
Thanks Again

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,
After going to the Apha site and going over the new rules for registering the QH crop-outs and the fees. Forget it, they are outrageous pricewise. I'm not spending $500 + to register a gelding with them. For that I can register Ptha, USDF, Lifetime recording with USEF and more.
Any horse 3yrs or plus is $500, then a bunch of additional fees and alot more added paperwork on the crop-outs as well. It use to be fairly simple and certainly more reasonable.
Their definitely doing a good job of discouraging anyone with one born before 2005 from adding them to the registry now.
I'll just add Ptha instead thank you.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phyllis,
The only thing is if you ever decide to sell him, the double-registered (AQHA/Paint) horses are really HOT. The show people back here are "nutty" about them.
This cut-off at 2005 will just make them even more scarce now and I don't know what the market is like in your area but back here in mine (SC/GA/NC) anything registered as a Paint easily commands double or better the price of just an AQHA registered horse. Particuarly the show crowd seeks these double-registered ones out. The extra fees, etc. may be worth it and the hassle if you are planning on selling him.

Is there a picture out here of him on the site or could you post one?

I'll get pics of my yearlings white spots and see what everyone thinks (i.e. of whether she would qualify for the Pintos. I had a friend back when we were kids had a little Pinto mare and she was "the bomb" what a cool little horse she was. She looked just like Little Joe's horse (Bonanaza) and us kids adored her.

P.S. To the best of my memory it seems like the whole double-registered thing came about as sort of an extended courtesy by both AQHA and ApHA to accept each others "oddballs" (for lack of a better term). Now that the Paint people have decided to get persnickerty about it, you have to wonder if AQHA might crack back down on crop-outs; i.e., are the Paint people cutting their nose off to spite their face?

(Message edited by cateowen on April 17, 2008)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine~Fingers crossed for a pregnant mare!

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once the AQHA decided to take not only outcrops with some white, they will take a full out 50/50 paint with DNA testing. Shortly after the new ruling I saw in my monthy AQHA mag. they reg a 50/50 overo in the AQHA. I myself have had reg quarters and paints for over 25 yrs and this was something to see. I remember when just a little white over the knee or a bald face went a little to far and they were out. Thats how the APHA came to be, all the outcrops. Now you can have a reg. quarter with all the spots you want if the DNA comes out right. It kinda makes since the APHA wants to close there books somewhat.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda,
I remember those days too. We had a gorgeous AQHA buckskin mare with both front stockings over her knees (yes they virtually covered her "leg black") and a white "jaunt" up over her eye running upward off of a tremendous blaze. It was wild!

Her mama was a Palomino (had absolutely NO markings whatsoever and her tail was even a sort of "dishwater blonde", not even really white) and her daddy was a bay (small star and a coronet on his left front).

Where this girl came from, I DON'T KNOW!

There was NO where to register her. AQHA wouldn't accept her and the Paints still wouldn't take crop-outs from two AQHA parents. This was back in the mid 1980's. It was sad. We could register her as a buckskin, but back then the buckskin registry was like almost nada.

Ended up selling her as a grade mare. She was well broke and really UNUSUAL so she brought a pretty fair price.
I wish I had one just like her today. She would bring big bucks now!

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I do intend on selling him in the future and will upload a pic or two of him. Of course the new owner would also have the option of adding Apha to his registry if they wanted since he would still qualify. I guess I'll have to check things out market wise and decide if it's really worth it. He is a dark sorrel (more chestnut really) with 4 stockings all of which go above the knee and hock, big broad blaze with white going to lower lip and small belly spot which has actually gotten larger from when he was a foal and he has roaning throughout his flanks and across his rump. He's a very loud sabino.
When we purchased him as a foal the sale actually was contingent on being able to get him registered with AQHA. The breeder did a rush on the paperwork and spoke with Aqha and fortunately he got accepted without trouble. Because this was when they were discussing allowing crop out colors back into the registry but hadn't actually ruled on it yet and made it official.
I'm curious to see what the future brings with both registries and all the changes. I wouldn't be suprised to see Apha allow the croouts back in at another time in the future.
The influence of the QH in the paint breed has been a great asset in the past and helped make marked improvement the stock.

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a few pics of Crimson that show his markings pretty well. I'd have to do some close ups to show you the belly spot and roaning. His belly spot is right behind the girth area and when he was young was only about the size of a silver dollar. It's now about twice as large and has much more roaning around it (almost looks like several small spots around it).
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/shadowbend01/IMG_0009_1.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/shadowbend01/IMG_0007_1.jpg

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess it's my lucky week. I just read an article about an incentive fund for registering with APHA and went to the site and lo and behold they have dropped the registration rate drastically. You can save up to $400, so now is the time to go for it and register any qualifying older horses that would normally cost you a whopping and outrageous $500.
I wasn't going to do it originally for $500 but amd now filling out the paperwork to get it done before this closes. At $100 I don't have a problem with it.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US