SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

A question of color

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » A question of color « Previous Next »

Ashley Hansen
Neonate
Username: Country_gal_780

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering what you fine people think my girls color will end up being. "Carla" was born a dark brown almost black but now seems to be turning a grey color. Her mother is a blue roan leopard and her father was a dark bay with a blanket and spots. If she does roan out will she still keep her frosted blanket? whats your thoughts
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h130/country_gal_780/Picture094.jpg
-Ashley, BC

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ashley..no appy expert her except what a CUTIE-PATOOTIE!!! She is a doll!!

Saleste Clark
Yearling
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is soooo cute!!! maybe she will be blue roan? She looks kind of gray in the picture, I'm not sure!!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She can't turn gray unless she has a gray parent. I second maybe a blue roan. Very lovely!!

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks to me like her undercoat is dark bay, like her daddy. Very cute, by the way.

Jane Olney-Nursemare foal adopt ?/2008
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 483
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She may be a homozygous roan...which eventually looks like a few spot, after the roaning. This could be true if she got one LP from each heterozygous parent. My mare was solid at birth. She has the same white patterning under her hair when she is wet as with your baby there. Your baby seems to have the homozygous looking snowflake blanket patterning.

Here is the article explaining the patterning.

http://members.aol.com/WinterSpringsTWH/RoanInfo.html

My mare, solid at birth...and dirty in the picture...with last year's Christmas gift.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/PC160030_edited-1-1.jpg

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, that is the CUTEST dad-gum picture I've ever seen!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, that is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! How did you get that foal to stand so nicely?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a BUNCH of action pictures from that day. I have some with the bow under his tummy...and on top of his back. We joke that he had saddle training that day. My vet wanted that picture because the baby was the first of the foaling season...was weak and cold, and needed plasma. A true gift.

Ashley, it looks like she has vertical stripes at the girth area. If she stays solid and does not roan..I have read about this patterning someplace as well in an Archer article.

I will tell you a secret.....I e-mailed pictures of my mare and baby to Ms Archer and she helped me figure out just what my mare was....and how she could produce a full body white baby with spots from a non appy father....because she is a homozygous LP roan!! There is the appaloosa project website. You may have to join to get any help now...but I would give it a try. Search for Sheila Archer and check out whatever articles you can find. If I have a chance I will try to find just what I remember reading.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 909
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane...WOODY!!! I remember when he was born and was that little! Look at him now..Congrats on doing a most excellent job with him!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 487
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan!!!! We would like to see action pictures of your little girl on the trails!!!! It is too cold and nasty to do much here. I would think you ride all year in California?

Ashley, I searched for the tid-bit of info I remember reading. I can't find anything. I am sure if you join the Appaloosa Project and dig into their pictures...and post a picture there, you will get a bunch of help and information. Let us know what you find out!!! My guess is that she is homozygous. If so, she will be a great breeding mare!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US