SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HERDA, HYPP and OLWS

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » HERDA, HYPP and OLWS « Previous Next »

Beth
Neonate
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't directly about breeding I know but I need some help. I'm doing research on HERDA, HYPP and OLWS and I would like to know if any of you guys know any good links about them, or have had any experience with them. Any information would be very helpful.
Thanks!!

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth, I'm kinda going through the same thing. My mare has Poco Bueno 5 generations back and could be a possible carrier. Her dad is an overo, whom I'm not sure is not a carrier for OWLS. I just started a new thread about this a few days ago, and Jo's put in a link to UC Davis that has some good articles about it. Read all the post in my HERDA (Confused) thread. Do you have a horse that might carry all three?

Beth
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've been have major problems with my internet connection. None of my horses have any of these dieases or are carriers that I know of but a few of them have unknown history, like about their sire and dams. It's a chance in million that they'd be carrying anything but you never know. The main reason I'm doing the research is so I can avoid accidently introducing them into my breeding herd.
I read your thread and all the links and that's when I first found out about HERDA, so thanks for putting it up. I hope your mare is negative as a carrier for both HERDA and OLWS.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's ok. Did your computer get a virus? Have you had your horses tested for it. I'm going to send off for Baby's testing in about a week. I'm glad you are careful about not spreading this disease. I just hope other breeders are as conscientious about not spreading this disease as we are. I hope Baby is negative for both HERDA and OWLS also. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll let you know when I find out.

Beth
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas everyone! Charlene, I live in Australia and I was wondering if you or anyone else knows of an Australian testing lab. To my knowledge, we don't have a UC Davis here! (Its sad I know, but true.)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth, have you checked all the major universities in your area. What part of Australia are you from? I've always wanted to visit there someday. Have you asked your vet who in your area might do animal dna testing?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth check this out www.aqha.com.au/registry_services/generic_HERDA.asp#testing

Beth
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene, I am from the Central West area of New South Wales (NSW). Great idea about asking my vet. I'll ask next time he's out (hopefully not too soon lol!). Thanks for the link but as I am not a Quarter horse breeder I can't use it.
How is your mare going?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I wasn't much help. What breed of horses do you have?

Beth
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have mainly Australian Stock Horses, ASH crosses and Arab crosses. A few might have QH breeding, and two are Shetlands. The Stockhorse and Arab crosses are great, they're really versatile. When I can, I'd like to introduce Brumby blood to the mix. Do you you have many Australian Stock Horses in America?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I don't know of any actually. Does ASH have a website? Do many of the Australian Stock Horses have Quarter Horse bloodlines in them. If so, what are some of the most common lines?

Beth
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the web address for the Australian Stockhorse Society www.ashs.com.au
Go through the headings at the top to navigate the site, this page is an update on the equine influenza crisis that we're having now.
The society accepts registered horses from the Australian Studbook [Thoroughbreds], the Arabian Horse Society and the Quarter Horse Asscoation to be registered as Australian Stockhorses so there is certainly QH lines, but I don't know of any in particular. I'm not a very big pure QH fan, but I am a fan of QH crosses, in particular ASH x QH and Quarabs. But I don't think registering horses is a must or that horses have to be registered to be good, so I'm not all that up to date on the latest lines but I'll have a look and see if I can find a few ASH and QH registered stallions for you.

Beth
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this site, check it out.
www.animalgenetics.us/Equine.htm

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if you know this site or not but its really great www.allbreedpedigree.com
I've been looking around and here are some horses that are dually ASH and QH registered, although with which QHA I'm not sure.
Oaks Reality
Nonda Guringji
Seligman Spin
Spotlight On Spin
Outback Roc
Roy N Roanie
Spindles Playboy
Oaks Jackhammer

Oaks Reality and Nonda Gurindji are definatly ASH QH crosses but I'm not sure about the others. If you go to the link I just gave you, you can find all of their pedigrees. I haven't checked to see if they are listed on the ASHS online studbook, but I checked that they're on All Breed Pedigree.
Beth.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth, I already knew about the animalgentics website, it's great. I learned alot from that site. I also use the allbreedpedigree website quite often. When you refer to QHA, do you think this is the abbreviation for american quarter horse association, or does it mean quarter horse arab assoc.? Most of the horses names you listed are all quarter horses, looked to me. Are these the names of the horses you own? I noticed that they all have Poco Bueno on one side, if not both. They could all be potential carriers of HERDA.

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene. None of those horses are mine. The QHA I mentioned was Quarter Horse Association. I didn't know if they were from the Australian or American branch so I just put in QHA- sorry for the confusion. Is there a Quarter Horse Arab registry? I haven't heard of any but I would be interested to know.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth. The reason I was confused when you mentioned QHA, is cause it is actually called AQHA. Stands for American Quarter Horse Assoc. There is a American Half Quarter Horse Registry. This covers the Quarter Arabs and a bunch of others. Here is the website:http://www.halfquarterhorseregistry.com/links.htm

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Charlene. How is your mare? Have you got her test results back yet?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 331
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth, Baby is doing good. She is finally starting to look prego. I'm getting really excited. I havent't sent in her mane sample yet, I was planning on it hopefully on my next day off. How are your horses doing?

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My horses are all okay, thanks. I'm going to start training my filly to saddle soon. Her name is Flossie- she's a sweetie. Floss loves being with people so I'm seeing no problems with her. Just as a thought, do you know any good training forums? I'm having some trouble with one of my geldings.
I'm glad to hear Baby's doing great. When my mares started to show, I got that little thrill of excitement too. Keep me posted on her progress?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth, I haven't used any training forums but, their are lots of them out there www.Horsecity.com has one. I just did a search for horse training forums, and a bunch popped up. What kind of problems are you having with your gelding?

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene. We got him as an unhandled two year old colt, along with an unhandled filly, also two years old in 2003. The guy who owned them is a trader and was quite rough with them. As they were unhandled, the only way to load them into the float was to put them up and old cattle crush and force them in. Denni, that's my gelding's name, he got so scared that he tried to go under the rail of the float and out the little side door. Now he's still really scared of having anyone above him and won't let us back him. He's fine with the saddle, bridle, roller etc, he's just too scared. And the fact that he used to be a stallion before we had to geld him and he hasn't lost the stallion attitude isn't helping at all.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like you got your work cut out for you. I hate working with horses that are scared and freaked out. When horses get scared they don't listen or pay attention to you, and therefore can be really dangerous. Good luck with getting some training advice, and be careful!! Don't you have any good trainers in your area? What about Clintion Anderson? He's good and not bad to look at either

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked out your link you gave me. Are all other forums like that? This board is the only one I've come across that isn't so... messy looking. Thanks for it though- I bookmarked it. There probably is some good trainers around here, but I hate sending my horses away for someone else to train. I've broken 3 in completley, reschooled another and started one more but had to stop with her because of feet problems. I've been working with my filly the last week or so, and she's going great! I'm going to back her soon. I'm going to leave breaking Denni to saddle for the moment, and I'll break him to harness instead. He's seven now, so even if I never ride him, he won't become a useless horse.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 535
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check these out and tell me what you think. www.horsechitchat.com and www.horse-forums.com and www.kinseyhorsetraining.com and www.e-equestrian.com

Beth
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the links! e-equestrian is the one I like best of the four. Horse forums and kinsey horse training are okay, but I personally don't agree with some of his methods. Horse chit chat didn't have any forums that I could find though, just horses for sale. The horses were pretty though.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US