SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Black Chestnut -- what exactly is this?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Black Chestnut -- what exactly is this? « Previous Next »

Saleste Clark
Yearling
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the University of Arkansas' Razorback Roundup and they had a weanling colt they called Black Chestnut. It was a striking color, his body was coal black and his mane and tail were 'tangerine'. What exactly is this color and what is the genotype? It was a very unusual color, and was wondering how this color came about.

Oh the link for the colt is
http://www.uark.edu/depts/dekep/roundup2007/lots/lot5.htm

It's not a very good picture, he's actually much blacker in person.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not very good with color genetics but if I just saw him out in a field I would think to myself that he was a liver chestnut. I have no clue if that is what he truly is but that's what he looks like to me. Does anyone have a more educated guess?

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that black chesnut is just an extremely dark chesnut. So dark that they call it black chesnut. When I just read in the book, Equine Color Genetics, under a picture of a dark chesnut horse it said liver chesnut and then in parenthesis it said black chesnut. It also made mention that the horse was very sooty making it look almost black. Sooty is like a blamket of black hairs that can be a light spray over the body or almost cover the entire body giving the appearence of a black horse.
I am no expert but hope that helps.

Saleste Clark
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking that it may have been sooty, we have a sooty bay and that's kind of what he looks like. That would make sense about it being a darker version of liver chestnut, that's what he kind of looked like except for his body. He was the darkest black I have ever seen, but they probably had him a little bit painted like they do with show cows. Just when you think you've seen it all!!!

Mary Ann -Due Sunny 4/2008, Dixie 3/2008
Yearling
Username: Newbie

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/August_07_092.jpg

This is a liver chestnut mare of mine and they look similar to me in color.

Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see the 2nd picture but that picture looks almost identical to a buckskin filly I've got. No one thought she was buckskin but I sent off hair samples to UC Davis and she came back officially as buckskin. She has a red tint to her mane and tail and 2 white hind socks. She was out of a buckskin and a bay.

Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a picture of the buckskin that doesn't really look buckskin. I need a new picture because she is ALOT darker now than in this picture.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/August_07_192ec.jpg

Saleste Clark
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He did look alot like both of those! I was thinking Liver Chestnut or Sooty Chestnut (if chestnut can be sooty? i think so...) In the picture, he looks really light but he was so coal black and beautiful!! It was so striking, but I really do think he was probably Liver chestnut. I have a Sooty Bay that gets almost black in the winter (of course, his mane and tail are black, so it doesnt look as neat as a liver chestnut) and then he looks dun in the summer. he was born with a huge black spot on his butt. here's a 4 month picture of him in the winter:
[IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc3/iesaleste/booger6monthold.jpg[/IMG]

and heres a picture of him at 13 months in the summer:
[IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc3/iesaleste/f13monthold.jpg[/IMG]

I'm pretty sure he's sooty, he's out of a bay and a palomino, and neither one of them is a dun. This is all so complicated

By the way, your horses are beautiful!!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saleste, isn't that the truth! I remember when a horse was chestnut, bay, grey, palomino or buckskin, that's it! No smutty, sooty, smokey,creme etc. I can't keep up!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US