SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What color do you think he will be?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » What color do you think he will be? « Previous Next »

mariana cremonte
Yearling
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, my mare foaled yesterday and I am puzzled as to what color my foal is. The mare is a bay roan (dam chesnut roan and sire a bay) and the stallion a bay (dam a bay and sire a gray). Here are some pictures:
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/arasumi%202/fcalfu093.j pg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/arasumi%202/fcalfu077.j pg

Today I was told he was: a grullo, a dark bay, a light bay and a roan. Please... any help would be welcome!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariana, first of all, cute baby!! I'm not the best at color genetics but he doesn't look bay to me at all. I've had a dark bay and a light bay and neither looked like that at birth, I'm leaning towards grullo but I'm not an expert! Any other guesses?

Beverly
Weanling
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think he can be grullo without one parent being grullo/grulla....And the mare isn't roan:-) If she were they're be more white in her coat & I don't see any. True roans have really light white/grey looking coats with dark heads & legs. She looks just plain bay to me. Are you sure the sire is bay? If both parents are true bays then he can only be bay, chestnut or black. In the first pic he reminds me of a champagne but I couldn't see his skin or eye color good enough to tell. In the last he looks like a mousey color which usually means they'll be black.

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He looks like both the colts I have had and they are black or dark bay. So that would be my guess.
Very cute baby!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is so so so cute. What a great baby fix. I think he might turn black! Look at all the black his momma has in her coat.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you guys may be right about the black. Now that I think about it, black babies do look like that silver color until their foal coat sheds out. How pretty!!

mariana cremonte
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 08:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all!! He does look now very much like a mouse colour. When I used the color calculator it said bay, bay roan, chesnut, chesnut roan, black, and black roan (blue). Beverly, may be she does not show the roan on thet picture but she is a roan, actually I bought her cheaper because of that, she is a good jumper and dressage horse but people here donīt like her colour. I do!. Here is another picture where you can see the roaning http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb249/marianacremonte/arasumi%202/arasumi8mes es001.jpg
I guess the roan does not show until later right? so for what you are saying he will bay dark bay/dark bay roan or black/black roan. did I get it right?. And for grullo I guess he will have to have a diferent gene from one of his parents, right?.
I want to know just for curiosity, just love him no matter what his color is and I will not sell him. But the people here donīt like roaning or grullos so when they told me he will be those they sayed it with pity!.

Coco Tingler
Nursing Foal
Username: Ladyting

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI,

Cute foal and he looks like a black to me.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 623
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marianna,
Your foal is very cute :-).
Buuuuttt....your mare (from what I can see from the pics) is not a bay or a roan. She appears to be a seal brown with rabicano traits (white at the top of her tail....white "ticking" on body/legs).

If she is indeed brown (offset of bay w/a modifier), and was crossed to a bay....
Likely your colt is black.
Of course, I could be real wrong.

Regardless, call both of them purple with polka dots....they are beautiful and congrats to you!

mariana cremonte
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all again. This coat colour thing is really confusing to me!! everybody here -argentina- calls her a Rosillo, that is for what I understand a bay roan, but may be they are wrong, or coats colour do not have equivalent translations -or both!-.
thank you all again. I would love black! it is not very usual, and as Heather says I would love them if they were purple with polka dots.

Beverly
Weanling
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say she's not roan:-) Go to www.carvinscovestables.com

Clik on the stallion he is a good example of a black roan. Also look at the foals. A roan foal will start showing the color within a few months. He looks black but I could be wrong:-)

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What color foal do you think this combination produce???
I breed my black & white tobiano (Paint X TB) mare to a Palomino Roan Sabino Welsh stallion for an early May foal.

Her 1st foal was sired by a gray welsh, the colt is liver chestnut with 2 hind socks and a star.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/buzzy2.jpg

Her 2nd foal was sired by a black & white tobiano german riding pony, the colt is black with a star.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/ARCHIE.jpg

Here are the results of the color calculator at http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator3.asp

Offspring Color Probability

3.13% - Buckskin Tovero
3.13% - Bay Roan Tobiano
3.13% - Bay Roan Tovero
3.13% - Bay Tobiano
3.13% - Bay Tovero
3.13% - Black Tobiano
3.13% - Black Tovero
3.13% - Blue Roan Tobiano
3.13% - Blue Roan Tovero
3.13% - Buckskin Roan Tobiano
3.13% - Buckskin Roan Tovero
3.13% - Buckskin Tobiano
3.13% - Smoky Blue Roan Tovero
3.13% - Smoky Black Tobiano
3.13% - Smoky Black Tovero
3.13% - Smoky Blue Roan Tobiano
3.12% - Palomino Roan Tobiano
3.12% - Palomino Tovero
3.12% - Palomino Tobiano
3.12% - Palomino Roan Tovero
3.12% - Chestnut Roan Tobiano
3.12% - Chestnut Roan Tovero
3.12% - Chestnut Tobiano
3.12% - Chestnut Tovero
1.04% - Smoky Blue Roan Sabino
1.04% - Buckskin Roan Sabino
1.04% - Blue Roan
1.04% - Smoky Blue Roan
1.04% - Black
1.04% - Black Sabino
1.04% - Bay Roan Sabino
1.04% - Smoky Black Sabino
1.04% - Bay Roan
1.04% - Bay Sabino
1.04% - Blue Roan Sabino
1.04% - Smoky Black
1.04% - Buckskin Roan
1.04% - Buckskin Sabino
1.04% - Bay
1.04% - Buckskin
1.04% - Chestnut
1.04% - Palomino Roan Sabino
1.04% - Palomino Sabino
1.04% - Chestnut Roan
1.04% - Chestnut Roan Sabino
1.04% - Chestnut Sabino
1.04% - Palomino
1.04% - Palomino Roan

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 832
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather...wow...what a pallet of colors...Can't wait to see that foal! It's going to be a long wait to see :-)

Emily West
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 317
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather,
Wow!! Can't wait to see that foal. Do you have pictures of your mare and stud? Would love to see them. Your two colts are stunning.

Heather Cooke
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That color calculator really narrowed it down.

Here is a pic of the mare, sorry about the quality, it was taken from a video.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/OREO-1.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the stallion, he really is roan even though you can't see it in the pics.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/DRAGON.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/hacooke/DragonHead.jpg

Emily West
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 318
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, they are both gorgeous!! Your mare actually looks like she is a tovero to me. She has a lot of white on her face. Looks possibly like the splash overo gene????? Not sure though. Beautiful coloring. Now I REALLY can't wait to see that baby!!!! :-)

Heather Cooke
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare's dam is a black TB, no white and her sire is a black tobiano homozygous. He might have some tovero back in his pedigree.

Mary Greer
Yearling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cute baby!!! I had one born that color out of the same color mare (shes APHA bs) had no clue what daddy looked like as I purchased her after she foaled. He turned jet black! here are birth pics of him.. he looks darker in these pics but was lighter than he looks,lol.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/bigmaandhotshot.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/cowgirlup07/HotShot.jpg

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you Mary, actually your foal looks a lot like mine and I black jet is an awsome color.
mine is 5 months now and turned out to be either fading black or dark bay. I will post new pictures of him today in the 2007 foals sections.
see you, mariana

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US