SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Question/Help: If I don't get a grey....

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Question/Help: If I don't get a grey.... « Previous Next »

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what other colors could I end up with?? If I post color pedigrees of both parents could someone help me determine if I could get something other than a grey and if so what it might be??

Here are links to the color pedigrees:
Dam-
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Randomness/Ianapedigree.jpg

Sire-
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Randomness/Heroepedigree.jpg

I am pretty much color clueless...so thanks in advance for any help!!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Color is a crap shoot, I have bred two grays with gray behind them and gotten bay. Several times, thank God we don't breed for color!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right about that! I bred 2 bays and got a chestnut!

judy cervantes
Neonate
Username: Judy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lisa,try going to www.animalgenetics.us,then click on horse,then on the fare lft click on color calculator and put in your info,that should give you the info u need.

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Neonate
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is impossible to tell without genetic testing the parents, and even then we couldn't know for sure as we do not know their zygosity status for gray. I can honestly say I believe you could get any of the primary colors, chestnut, bay, black and gray. Well, your horse will be either chestnut, bay or black regardless of the gray. The gray will just cover it if the horse gets a copy.

ACC

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys, and you said it there Cathy....at least we don't breed for color!! I know that grey is a dilution gene (right) so I guess I'll just have to wait to see if my foal gets that right? I would just LOVE a black filly; but healthy grey baby is just as good. I thought that maybe one could tell from knowing the color pedigree - didn't think about zygosity

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Neonate
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there is SO much gray in the family, that homzygosity in one or both parents is very possible. As to the base color, I can't tell you because the ones listed as gray all had base colors, but we don't know what they are because they were registered as gray. Anyone who was there when they were born would know, but outside of that...

Gray is a modifier as opposed to a diluter, but they inherit the same way. One heterozygous gray parent = 50% gray foal. 2 heterozygous parents = 75% chance of gray foal. 1 homozygous parent = gray foal, period. I suspect there is little chance you will not have a gray. But hey, even Friesians occasionally produce a chestnut foal, so anything is possible.

ACC

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the lesson ACC....I know the VERY basics and that is it ;) I love reading all these genetics posts and learning from you guys. I'll be fine with my grey baby....but I'm still hoping for black, he he.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Cathy- color IS a crap shoot. We had a gray stud that in all the years we owned him produced 80% gray foals every year, I opted to use him on my two colored mares, one a gray, the other a grulla.. guess what?? BAYS! now the gelding out of the grulla, he's a total color collage.. bay with white in his tail and at two, I've not given up on him going gray eventually..he has a dorsal stripe as well but apparently not enough dun factor influence to modify that bay coat to a yellow dun..and the dorsal really is incomplete, it only extends up to about his wither, as he ages, it becomes more predominant... he intrigues me and as I still hold out that he will eventually turn gray (arguement with the spouse over this one) I have to keep him to maturity just to prove my point.. Smart little horse.. I don't ever keep stud colts, this one has found a way to keep me guess and ensure his remaining in the herd! :-) Ev

Terry Waechter
Nursing Foal
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lisa a good explanation of the genetic influence on color is at
http://www.equiandalusian.com/inicio.cfm.

this whole site is great for P.R.E. breeders and gives a great deal of info about the breed type etc. ENJOY

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry-I wanted to check out that link; but I can't get it to work :-(

Terry Waechter
Weanling
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LISA TRY GOOGLE EL PURA RAZA ESPANOLA

IT SHOULD COME UP....fascinating site. Terry

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I got it to work....I've been there before too. Thanks-I've got it marked in my fav's now.

Beth
Neonate
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have read that two greys can produce any colour recognised within their breed. If you want to have some fun predicting the foals colour though, you'd use the colour the parents were born as normal (ok, maybe with the help of the Colour Calculator!)No matter how many greys are in a horse's pedigree, one parent MUST be grey for a foal to inherit the grey gene. Grey doesn't skip generations and you can't get a grey throwback.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US