SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Filly color results in from UC Davis....what do they mean???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Filly color results in from UC Davis....what do they mean??? « Previous Next »

Mary Ann
Yearling
Username: Newbie

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted here a month or so ago inquiring about a color of a filly I have and I just got my results in but still not positive what I've got! Someone said from looking at her smoky black some sooty bucksin. Here's the color test results
E/E A/a N/Cr

Mary Ann
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's pictures
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/August_07_192ec.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/MAcameraJuly2007172.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/August07156ec.jpg

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have a buckskin that is homnozygous black.
Congratulations. :-)

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember looking at your pictures. What a pretty girl. Glad to find out the results. That is exciting!!!!

Mary Ann
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping for the buckskin confirmation but her not having black legs and a black mane and tail really had me confused.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann, I think your filly is very cute and beautiful. I agree that smokey black is probably not it, I have a pony that is smokey black and she looks black. In the summer she gets some brown highlights but she definitely is much darker than your filly.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, thats the genetics for buckskin. Pretty girl !

Deb

Phyllis Schroder
Neonate
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!A buckskin. And homozygous black based, that's great.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on the results! I have to admit, that one had me totally fooled..Just goes to show you cannot judge a book by it's cover.. :-) I bet she'll really change colors thru the seasons and as she matures. I've always wanted to have my black mare tested to see if she carries the creme genetics, I suspect she does, however she's not passed it on to either of her colts so far. I am certain that her dam is a smokey black, she has produced several palomino and buckskin foals and was herself the product of a gray (red bases) and buckskin cross. I love color genetics, I know a very limited bit about it, but it's facinating. Ev

Mary Ann
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting and confusing! Just today I was out with the horses and she's gotten alot darker since those pictures were taken. We're in a warm climate so I don't think she's getting a winter coat yet. She's almost looking black now...not much like the typical buckskin but I like her color and am glad I went ahead and had her tested. My husband jokingly said to give him $65 and he would tell me what color she was! He did not understand why it mattered.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann,
I think is great that you had her tested. Great information if 1. you are planning on selling her=more value or 2. you keep her and in the future breed her=more knowledge as you plan a foal. I would love to have had that info on my mare before I bred but...they don't test for homozgous grey :-)

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E Watkins: Does your mare have amber colored eyes instead of brown? Are her soft under areas a lighter shade of black, almost a browney color?

Those are some traits of smokey black horses. A smokey black has one creme gene, so she may not pass it on, its 50-50 chance.

Mary Ann:

My little filly was born dark. Everyone said she was a bay. She was out of a bay and a buckskin. The only one that thought she was buckskin was the lady who foaled out my mare. She said buckskin from the first minute she was born.

By the time she was about a week old, we were thinking she might just be buckskin, but a dusty buckskin color, which reminded me of a apricot dun shade.

Now, 6 months later, shes starting to roan out all over and seems almost a greyish sand color with some black hairs here and there. Her mother is homozygous for agouti which means that the black on her body is resticted to her points, so who knows what color this little girl will end up to be by the time she shed out her foal coat next spring. I'll try to post a few pictures this weekend to show you how her color has changed.

Deb

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US