SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Filly color HELP!! I need to register her with AQHA but don't know what to p...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Filly color HELP!! I need to register her with AQHA but don't know what to put « Previous Next »

Mary Ann
Yearling
Username: Newbie

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted on here several months ago with a couple of pictures of my filly but she is looking different now. At the time several of you said sooty buckskin....is that still the concensus or something else? She also has dark spots that the vet thought ringworm on but it's not going away..any ideas?

Oh yeah, mom is buckskin (palomino x black parents) and dad is bay (bay and sorrel parents).

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/MAcameraJuly2007159.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/August07156ec.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/MAcameraJuly2007172.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/August_07_192ec.jpg

And here's 1 of the pictures I posted back a couple of months ago.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P6210006.jpg

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann,

I don't think the filly would qualify as a buckskin, her legs do not appear to be black in those photos. (nor does her mane or tail) My thought is she's more of a chestnut but with the golden appearance she has I wonder if she could have the champagne genetics that produces such differently colored horses. I think that one would be worth testing to confirm just what her coloring is genetically. ( you could send photos to AQHA and let them make the determination, that's a tough call though ) I have a bay colt out of a grulla mare and gray stud. He has a dorsal strip, and a tail that is as much white and blonde as it is black. (aptly named Chaos) I registered him as bay but at 2 I'm still hoping he'll convert to gray eventually. Given the coloring of his parents, I did not dream I'd end up with a bay horse! :-) Good luck, Ev

Beverly
Weanling
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, that is a tough one. In the pic where she's running & the one where she's standing by herself she looks sorrel//chestnut. BUT in the one with her dam where they're eating she looks buckskin. You might have to have her tested. But she can't be champagne unless one parent is champagne. If she was champagne it would be easy to tell because she'd have pink skin with mottling & blue or, green or amber eyes.

On the other foal you got bay because the gray stud was a bay with the grey gene. Your foal didn't inherit the grey gene & therefore is bay.

Mary Ann
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I may just send a hair sample in and get it tested for the cream gene and go from there. I guess if it comes back negative then she's definitely chestnut? Does that seem right?

Shelley Graham
Yearling
Username: Shelley

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing liver chestnut as she doesn't have any black points. She's a very pretty girl regardless of color.

Mary Ann
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is pretty...I just want to know for her registration papers and unfortunately in the case of value alot of the time color matters.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann, Getting her hair tested would let you know for sure and in the future if you breed her or someone else does the information would be valueable too! She is very cute :-)

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann, I would think that would be your best option, if she were a buckskin, that mane, tail and legs would be black, those points are not something that show up later as a general rule. If she were a red based color horse (which is what she appears to be to me) she would be a palomino if she did indeed have the creme gene as well. My guess is you have a uniquely colored chestnut filly, having said that, I have seen some really STRANGE color changes in babies over the years..lol. My colt this year sure fooled me, he was born bright cherry red, as he began to shed, he looked dark underneath almost black like his dam, he's plain Jane sorrel now. What a disappointment. (at least his confirmation is good, he does have that going for him) Regardless of her color, your filly appears to be a very well built individual, put that on a good minded horse and it doesn't matter what color their coat is..she looks like a keeper to me! :-) Be sure to let us know if you test her, I'll be curious to see if I'm right or wrong. Ev

Coco Tingler
Nursing Foal
Username: Ladyting

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her last pic looks like a dun. My mare's sire is a liver chestnut and they are normally darker- i think. I'd send her pic's to the reg. and ask them to be safe thought.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann, let us know if you get her tested and what the results turn out to be, I'm very curious. I have a filly that was born bright chestnut and now at 3 yrs old looks more liver chestnut with a flaxen mane. The flaxen mane didn't show up until she was over a yr old!

Phyllis Schroder
Neonate
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
She is a very pretty filly. She does look like a red or apricot dun at this time but I would imagine she'll shed out come spring to a deep sorrel. I don't see anything that leans to buckskin or sooty buckskin. They can be so confusing on color sometimes when young, but the test will be the best way to go and if you do it all online you'll get the results back very quickly. They'll send it in your e-mail and also by snail mail. Let us know I'm curious.

Mary Ann
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for everyones advice...I think I am going to send in some mane hairs for a color test. I'll be sure and post back when I hear what she is. I hate to do the cream, red and agouti because of the extra $$ so I've got to decide about that. Hopefully I'll know something in the next few weeks.

Phyllis Schroder
Neonate
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann, the base color (for red or black) and the agouti test are done together for $40 and then you can add additional tests (such as the creme) for $25 each. So it shouldn't cost you over $65 for all 3. I use UC Davis and do it all online, but there are also several others that will do the test and should be about the same price. Best wishes

Beverly
Weanling
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pet DNA services in Az does it cheaper than UC Davis I believe. I had an agouti test done onmy colt for $25

Mary Ann
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 01:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm reading the Pet DNA website correctly it's $25 for red, $25 for agouti and $25 for cream and UC Davis has a combo red and agouti for $40 and then $25 additional for cream. I believe I'm right and that I would save $10 by using UC Davis???

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US