SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

COLOR QUESTION PLEASE

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » COLOR QUESTION PLEASE « Previous Next »

Michelle
Neonate
Username: Smoothsteppin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello i purchased a SSH bay roan sabino mare in foal to a TWH blue roan sabino stallion. I have been trying to look up the stallion "Electrified Pusher" and cannot find him just on a google search to see what's in his pedigee and color but to make a long story short. What do i have in passibilities in foal color

Mila Davidson
Neonate
Username: Promise_me

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Electrified Pusher is by The Pusher CG who is registered as a grey roan however is actually a black roan sabino. His dam Miss Charlene was a grey mare who was sired by Another Grey John (sire of The Touch).
I think you have a 25% chance of a maximium sabino (mostly white). Not sure what the other chances are.

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know nothing about the horses you are reffering to but I just wanted to clarrify that most people call sabino horses 'roans' but this is 99% of the time incorrect. The sabino gene causes TICKING through the horses coat which resembles the 'roan' colouration. A true roan has a solid 'normal' colour head and legs with a roan coloured body and neck, the sabino TICKING can be found on the horses legs, flanks, head and all over the body. So with out seeing the horses you are reffering to I can not say 100% but my guess is they carry a lot of high white (white up to the stifle and elbow joints, tummy spalshes and big apron faces, maybe even higher white) and in this case your 'roaning' is in fact TICKING. Foals born sabino will often have solid colour coats and the ticking will come after there first shed and some get heavier as they get older... roans are born roan. Just on another point, don't stress about getting a grey foal, for the grey gene to be passed on, one of the parents need to be grey ... so no grey baby for you :-) Sabino's are very good at reproducing sabino's so you have a VERY good chance of getting as much colour as the parents and as Mila said a good chance of producing a maximium white sabino ... Good Luck

Michelle
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are pics of mare and stud.... and thank you Mila and Emma for your info i apreciate it! By any chance would you know MISS CHARLENES lines?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/horses4life/p93846228.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/horses4life/electrifiedpusher.jpg

Beverly
Weanling
Username: Iluvhorses

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These horses aren't true roans. They are sabino. A lot of people call them roans & they're not. As mentioned a true foan has a solid head, legs mane & tail with little to no white. Your color chances are bay, black, or chestnut/sorrel with or without the sabino gene but most likely with it. You can also get a maximum sabino which is pure white.

Beverly
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I done a search & found Electrified Pusher & he's standing at Box Stables. I can't copy the address because of webtv but do a search on yahoo using Box stables tennessee walkers.

juli chessell
Neonate
Username: Nightswimmer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have covered my sec c chestnut mare 13:2hh with a dark bay 16:1hh thoroughbred stallion any idea what colour size offspring I might get?

(Message edited by nightswimmer on September 14, 2007)

juli chessell
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 13hh blue eyed palomino sabino section C mare whos sire was a chestnut section D (his sire was chestnut section D as was his dam)my mares dam was cream dun section A (her sire was Chestnut sec A and her dam was cream dun section A)
I have covered her with a PRE andalcian stallion who is grey (completley snow white)but his skin has patches of white and black underneath,speckled in some parts.I don't know his breeding but I understand that over 80% of PRE horses are grey.Anyone any idea of what colour or size foal I might get?

(Message edited by nightswimmer on September 14, 2007)

Mila Davidson
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to ipeds:
Miss Charlene is a grey mare, born 5/28/1991. She has a strip and a near hind fetlock. She is owned by Billy G Williams of Grayson, Ky.
Her sire is Another Grey John (grey) and her dam, Sundust's Liz (sorrel)was by Pride of Sundust. Her second dam was a black mare by WGC Ebony Masterpiece. Her third dam was by WGC Sun's Delight D.
She has had eight foals (5 fillies, 3 colts). One of her fillies(Miss DT Thing by Pusher's Doing Time) placed in the top ten at the Futurity and Celebration as a weanling in 1999.
I love you mare's color. I have a direct Pusher mare that is a black roan sabino. I have been too afraid to breed her to another sabino for fear of getting the all white foal. I bred her to a solid bay and there is a good chance I will get the color of your mare (yeah!) So, good luck and keep us posted on what color the baby turns out!

Mila Davidson
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emma, our breed registry is behind the times. I was giving her the term that was one the stallions registration papers. I would not doubt the half the TWH's are incorrectly id'ed on there papers as to color. I have a mare that is reg a grey roan sabino, when she is really a black sabino!?@>? The Breeder's Association are trying to get some more unified terms.

juli chessell
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 05:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry I have posted on your thread instead of mine, apologies
juli

Beverly
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mila, You don't have to be afraid of getting the all white foal if you're thinking about the lethal whites. They're are PLENTY of all white foals in TWH which are maxinum (Spelling) sabinos & it will not cause them to die. This is completely different from the lethal white...Roans & sabinos are two different genes. Roans have no white except for maybe a star sabinos have lots of white like the horses above. They're not roan sabinos. If you want to see a true roan go to www.carvinscovestables.com
Click on stallion. He is a TRUE roan. You can tell the difference in him & a sabino like the ones above. In order to get a roan foal one parent MUST be a roan just like in order to get a gray foal one parent MUST be grey. Sabinos can skip generations.

Michelle
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS ALL! For all your help and info, i sure hope to come out with a clolorful HEALTHY foal, i will be sure to keep you informed on how their doing. mare is due late march early april so we still have some time left.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US