SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Color and pattern question...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Color and pattern question... « Previous Next »

Joyce
Yearling
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know some of you just love this stuff, so I thought I'd put in another question!

I may breed my mare to a sorrel overo stallion, neg for olws and N/N. My mare is a Homozygous for tobiano Blk/white, with 2 foals that are blk/white. I just submitted a sample to see if she is also homozygous for black. I've been playing with the color calculator, which brings me to my questions which are:

1. My mare is homozygous for Tobiano, but the cc says the baby could also be Tovero?

2. If my mare turns out homozygous for black, it also says the baby could come out bay?

Is this true? Interesting......

Thanks everyone!

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce: Because your stallion is bred to an overo, he could throw his overo pattern and your mare is homo for tobiano, so she gives the tobiano pattern, thus you get a mix of patterns overo and tobiano which gives you a tovero.

If your mare is homo for black, your baby could be a bay because a bay is actually a black horse. A bay has the Agouti gene modifier which limits the black to points (ears, mane, tail, legs).

If the lab you sent your samples to does the agouti test and she is Aa, you could have a bay, but seeing she has had two black and white foals, She is obviously not homo for agouti AA or you would never get a black and white out of her.

Deb

Joyce
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here I was thinking all this time she could only have a tobiano foal.

I sent to UCDavis and they are doing the Red Factor and Agouti.

The sires of her two preivous foals are, solid black, and black/white tobiano.

What is agouti AA?

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agouti AA is homozygous for Agouti, or a homozygous Bay. A horse that comes back AA will NEVER have a black bodied foal. Your mare is obviously not AA or she could not have had a black and white.

If your bw mare turns out to be homo for black, she will never produce a red based horse either, so crossed with the sorrel you will either get a bay or a black based horse. (both are black gened horses)

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 337
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one more thing... with the overo stallion, he should be tested for hypp and for owls and be negative. IF he is not tested you may want to double think the choice.

My stallions are all dna tested and also hypp and lethal white tested just to be sure. all are negative.

Joyce
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is tested for both, I put that in my first post. :-)

I'm learning so much from you, thanks! One more question please. So IF she is NOT homozygous for black, the foal can be chestnut/white?

Thank you Debbie!

Joyce

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep. If she is not homo for black, she is Ee E being the black dominant gene, and e being the red gene. The stallion is a sorrel, so he is ee, which means that you have only a 25% chance of a black foal and 75% chance of a chestnut base color.

What were the sire colors of her two black and whites?

Deb

Joyce
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One was solid black and one was a blk/white tobiano.

Joyce

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 340
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. Since both stallions were black, the foals could have got their black from the dad as well. It should be interesting to see what she turns out to be.

Joyce
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all your help, Deb!! The recieved my sample on Wednesday and they say it take 5-10 days to get the results. I'll post here as soon as I get it!

Again, thanks for everything!

Joyce

Joyce
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I just got the results!

She is: Red Factor E/E

Agouti a/a

No Red babies! Only black or bay tobiano!!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 616
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce,

So glad you got the results you wanted!

Jan

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent, a homo black. :-)

Deb

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the sire Aa or AA? That is the only way you can get a bay from your mare.

Joyce
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, good question Cathy. Would the sire have to be Aa to get a bay? I will check my info and see if I have that information on the stallion. I will also e-mail the owner.

Joyce
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jan and Debbie! Now hopefully we can get her pregnant with no problems this spring. :-)

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joyce yes the sire would have to be A_. Your mare is aa so the gene has to come from the sire.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US