SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Roaning in appaloosas

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Roaning in appaloosas « Previous Next »

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a bay w spotted blanket appaloosa colt. His daddy is homozygous (for exactly what not sure) Daddy is also bay with spotted blanket and he doesnt have any roaning. My boy however has started to roan on his underside. Will he completely roan out and loose his spots as he ages and will this be a trait he passes on?

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hiya Jenni ! Nice to see you back in the forum ,my friend! I am looking forward to some of the answeres you get. You ought to show off that Bubba of yours....and post some pics!
Hugzzzzzzzzzzz

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Lynn I'm going to show him off dont worry. This heat is keeping me indoors so I've become a total pc junky the last couple of days thought id drop in
Hugzzzzz back

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2434825250100781181YGgCfk?vhost=pets

here he is at 3-4 months last yr
I just realized that gives you the whole album. most the ics are dated but he just started this roaning business I dont have any good pics of it.

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on August 08, 2007)

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni,

What a beautiful boy! I know a friend who has appy's and they are for the first couple of years constantly changing colors and variations :-) He may roan but keep his blanket and get more spots :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thnx as long as he keeps his spots I'm a happy camper. I'll love him regardless but his spots are to cute lol

ok daddy doesnt want his pic posted but his name is Heart of Dixie

(Message edited by bugrace2000 on August 08, 2007)

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 339
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Jenni, I ditto Jan!

Look at my boy Blue...see how he has roaned with spots popping up in the roaned areas?

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/P6290004.jpg

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 576
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane,

What a handsome boy! I really like his color and his physique :-)

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I'll tell him...
He is feeling kind of old.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 333
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jane your boy is quite a handsome fella. I really like the blue roaning. If you flip through my boys album http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2434825250100781181YGgCfk?vhost=pets there are some really good pics of him at 3 months and some really funny ones of him at other ages to. I am going to give him till he's 5 to reach the potential I seen at 3 months. If he doesnt then I will geld him but right now I'm just praying that his gangly appearance is only a yearling phase. lol

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni- He sure looks great! I like the dog picture. Did you put the dog there?

My Woody has roaned a whole bunch since birth. His mane and his ears were very red. Now the mane has a bunch of white and his ears are roaning with dark spots peeking out. He is a leopard everywhere else. No roaning of the spots.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/P6150005.jpg

You can't see it in the picture, but he is getting motteling around his eyes, his nose, and under his tail.

Bubba looks like his mane will remain dark...but then again, maybe each appy has a different time table. Keep posting so that we can see his roaning.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woody is to cute! still very handsome.
No I didnt put the dog there Bubba was sleeping and the dog took advantage of him, even after he woke up though it still took him 5 min to actually get up. Lazy thing he is. Bubba is a bay sometimes I thought he might be sorrel or maybe chestnut but he has 2 blk stockings in front and 2 white in back but there is a thin ring of blk on every leg so I decided he really is a bay. I believe his mane will darken to prove it as well. He's the only bay I've owned with both white and black socks.
as soon as I get a cord for my phone I'll post more pics of his roaning

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US