SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What is "black-Bay"??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » What is "black-Bay"?? « Previous Next »

Teresa Byersdorf
Neonate
Username: Bravehart

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 2 month old colt. His sire is black and his dam is buckskin. This colt was born almost black. When he dried off, he was a medium bay with a pretty dark head. Now that he is shedding off his baby coat,it's clear he's going to be a very dark bay, almost black. His dam is homozygous for black and bay and his sire is homozygous for black. So, clearly the colt has to be a bay. My question is...if bay (agouti) is limiting the black to the points...what are all these horses doing that are technically bay, but are so dark...the black certainly isn't being limited to the points. He is going to look almost black when he gets shed out. How can the bay gene be limiting the black to the points when a horse can be a "black-bay" and very dark all over?

Paula Rollins
Neonate
Username: Paular

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is he a brown? I find alot of brown are mislabeled as really dark bay or faded black or not a true black. Or it could be a really sooty bay, sooty gene is not restricted by the bay agouti gene, Brown is an agouti gene.

Here is a good site to explain further:
http://colormorgans.tripod.com/basecolors.htm

Teresa Byersdorf
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting link! He could be brown. His dam is a sooty buckskin, but only sooty on her neck/shoulder areas, the rest is a medium buckskin color. Maybe he got a really full dose of sooty making him look so dark. I know the pedigree for several generations back..and there are no dark bays/browns. There are many bright mahogany bays on the dams side. The sire side is like 10 generations true black. Not sure if the brown and pop up when no close relatives are brown?

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 606
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teresa,
Dunno if this helps any...but here are some pics of my "brown" colt when he was born.
This horse was by a bay stallion, out of a brown mare.
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/P1010030.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/P1010049-2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/Buddy4.jpg[/IMG]

]

Teresa Byersdorf
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Heather. He's not that dark yet, but judging by the color under his foal coat...he will get very close to that. His foal coat is definatly bay although his head/neck are pretty much black..the body and rear end are bay with almost all black under the baby hair. He's also tobiano..so the contrast between the white markings and dark coat are pretty drastic.

Wendy Burnside
Neonate
Username: Riddlebrook

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there. Im just wondering why you would not consider your foal as a black? My sister has a black foal from a black sire, and a palomino dam. She was black when born, but has lightened through winter, but should darken as she changes her next coat to black.

Teresa Byersdorf
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The foals dam was DNA tested as homozygous for agouti (bay), which means to colt cannot be only a black (both parents are homozygous for black). I've decided he must be a brown as brown does carry the agouti gene. The colt is sold now and just waiting to go to his new home at weaning. His new owners love his dark color ;)

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His dam is a sooty buckskin, but only sooty on her neck/shoulder areas, the rest is a medium buckskin color.

There is your answer. The sooty gene can make any color so dark they look almost black. Even if your mare is not real dark with it her offspring can be much darker.
Here is a picture of our sooty buckskin.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/colosn/trot6.jpg

Teresa Byersdorf
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow..you mare is really dark, looks bay to me, not buckskin, at least in that photo. My mare isnt near so dark. She is a gold buckskin except for the sooty..and even that isn't "alot" of sooty, but she does have some on her neck/shoulder area.

I didnt realize they could be soo sooty as to look black when they have the bay gene that is supposed to limit the black to the points..but I guess that does not affect the sooty gene?

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Timber is a stallion.

You are right the sooty gene and agouti gene are separate. Our sooty bay looks black except his flank and muzzle. He was born a beautiful red bay and the sooty became apparent when he shed his foal coat.
Here is another of Timber where he doesn't look quite so dark.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/colosn/Scan0001.jpg

Teresa Byersdorf
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, I think I understand now. My colt is a sooty bay to the point where he is almost black..the flank and muzzle is the only spots where you can see he is a bay now that he has shed out his baby coat.

I bred the mare to a different black/white stallion for next year..sure hope she passes on the buckskin and not the sooty next time! LOL

Sorry..I didnt look a the plumbing, just the color..Timber is a beautiful stud!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US