SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Testing for Gray modifier?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Testing for Gray modifier? « Previous Next »

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a test or way to determine if a horse will eventually be gray? I've looked on the UC Davis site and am either missing it, or it does not exist. Knowing this ahead of time would take a lot of guess work out of whether Chaos is going to go gray or be a bay with a gray tail his entire life. Thanks, Ev

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no test for gray at this time. If his tail has turned grey already he will eventually go gray. Some horses take a very long time and some just a few years.
My mare had one ankle and her tail gray for several years and in the last 2 she has really taken off.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy- how old is your mare? My gelding is just 2 now, every now and then I'll find a single white hair on him (not many though) and I have found white whiskers on his muzzle now, other than that and the salt and pepper tail, he's bay. (with his lovely dorsal stripe) I'll take some photos to post if I can ever get home and get him cleaned up before dark. Thanks for the info, I thought that there was not a test available for that but was not certain. <sigh> I hate waiting..I think he'll be a lovely gray horse.. I just wish he'd hurry up and CHANGE if he's going to. :-) Ev.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ev...he sounds like my Lego. He is now 4. He too only got a gray hair mixed with his black tail. He was born bay with black legs and mane and tail. After two he started to get a few stray white hairs. At four after the winter shed you can now see some dappling going on. He too had what I thought was a dorsal stripe and black barring on his legs and down his neck. I guess they were just counter shading not a true dorsal stripe. So took 4 years to finally get the process of turning gray. It is a funny modifier because I have friends whose foals are born bay and within 6 mos to a year are gray. Can't wait to see some pics of Chaos.

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 243
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ev she is six. She is bay and really didn't start changing until she was four, but boy has she made up for it!!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy & Jan- it sounds like I have a couple more years before I seen much of a change. Chaoes does have a true dorsal and dun factor markings. ( his dam was a grulla and thus far she's passed that trait to all her foals ) He has two 1/2 brothers, one yellow dun and one grulla. I'll try to get some photos of him on Sunday to post Monday. I turned him out last night and he ran himself silly.. he was in a total sweat when I brought him back to his stall. He's a nut, just like his mother.. she had no quit in her. I'll do my best to get him a good washing this weekend so you can see how white that tail is.. and I have a bet with hubby on this, $50 if he does turn gray..guess I may have to keep this one a while in order to win.. LOL.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 383
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ev...well if he truly has a dorsal/dun factors then maybe he won't gray out. Was the stallion gray then?

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan- Yes, the stud was a gray, and produced a high percentage of gray colts for us, but my two mares, a gray (bred to the gray stud) gave me a BAY filly who is also 2 and shows NO signs of changing and Chaos (whose mother is a grulla) I think Chaos still may turn off gray eventually. Gosh I like that little guy, to have been such a stinker as a foal, he's turning out nicely now. :-) Ev

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US