SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What color would my colt be?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » What color would my colt be? « Previous Next »

Mary Ann
Weanling
Username: Newbie

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what my new baby's color is? He does have a darker dorsal strip but has very light legs. He is a Paint so since there's not any other color I was hoping his legs would end up shedding to white??? Anybody have any ideas?
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4160041.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/DSC00590.jpg

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 01:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann, I would say that he has white on his legs based on his hoof color. You can tell for sure if you wet him down. You'll see the difference in skin tone. As far as body color, he looks chestnut to me

Mary Ann
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I will try the water to see. It would be nice if they were high stockings so he could be registered as a regular paint. Someone told me they thought he may be a red dun but I really didn't know.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann I agree with Colleen, he looks chestnut. His hind legs look like they may have white going up past his hocks and even on his rump? The inside of his back leg looks like the white goes all the way up too. I had noticed that when you posted the picture when he was born, I was trying to figure if he had enough white to be registered then. Let me know how it comes out!

Mary Ann
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is chestnut the same as sorrel? I think AQHA has them as separate colors but I'm not positive. I kind of always thought sorrel was a lighter red and chestnut was darker. What's the official scoop on the colors?

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maryann - I believe chestnut and sorrel are genetically identical, but maybe someone more versed in genetics can verify this???

Jill H
Nursing Foal
Username: Goldhorse

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think genetically they're the same. However, I have been told that with chestnut, the body and mane/tail are all chestnut, whereas with a sorrel the body is chestnut and mane/tail are flaxen color.

Cconner
Yearling
Username: Cconner

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that they are the same genetically. If I'm thinking correctly the Thoroghbred Association does not recoginze a horse as being a sorrell, only a chestnut. You might double check me on that but I'm pretty certain that is how they do it. I know on the color calculator they also show it as sorrell/chestnut.
Mary Ann - as far as your colt is concerned I believe he is a sorrell and legs will darken when he sheds his foal coat. From what I can see from the pics his legs are a real light cream color but not actually a white. EVERY colt I have ever raised, if they were going to have a sock, stocking, etc, then the hair was white when they were born. Most colts are born with lighter legs and darken when they shed. Also looking at pics is hard to tell. Below is a pic of a red dun filly we had this year (2 days old in pic) & look at how her legs look white in the pics; however, she actually only has one white sock and she had it when she was born. Now she is 4 weeks old and legs have darkened somewhat and when she sheds they will turn red. And as far as your colt having light hooves, that doesn't mean it's legs are going to white!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/cconner63/baby3.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/cconner63/grannysbaby.jpg

Mary Ann
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the comments...it's confusing sometimes!

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary ann~
from my experience with foals, I would say this will be a solid sorrel/chestnut with black hooves, (they will begin to grow out black even if they are born white, as this is not really a true hoof materiel). A foal with white socks will have them at birth.
The difference in sorrel and chestnut is chestnut is a copper red and sorrel is a brown red. Certain registries (Arab for instance recognizes only chestnut not sorrel) only recognize one color or another or some both (AQHA). I would bet your foal will shed out into the color of the dorsal stripe.

Mary Ann
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang...that's unfortunate news. Oh well, he's still a sweety even if he's not going to be worth as much $.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US