SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cow Hocked Stallion..Hereditary???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Cow Hocked Stallion..Hereditary??? « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Posted From: 202.92.102.220
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been offered a stallion to use on my mares, but i have been warned that he is cow hocked. He is a gorgeous stallion otherwise, but as i am breeding mini's i really need good confirmation. Can anyone tell me, is this condition hereditary???

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.243.125
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering you are talking about a mini, I would be a little leary on breeding to this stallion.
But, you must also be aware of the fact that some minis are cowhocked due to improper trimming of their hooves.
I have had miniature foals born out of parents that were in no way cow hocked, but the foals were slightly cow hocked at birth. With proper trimming, they straightened right out.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, very interesting. I am not sure of the condition of his hooves, i will have to ask her. I have also had another poster say that it is possible he was malnourished during his growing years. When my friend bought him, he was in very poor condition, very underweight, and full of lice, but as he has put on weight his hocks dont look as bad. I am not sure if his dam or sire were cow hocked, she is checking that for me, but as he is only 3years old, do you think that his being underfed as a weanling/yearling could have also caused this?? He is very tiny, and a proper little gentleman otherwise, so it really would be a waste for her to geld him, but if this condition will be passed on, then that is her plan for him.

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, i just spoke to my friend again, she called the breeders of her stallion, and neither of his parents were cow hocked, both are big show winners etc with good confirmation. If it has been passed down to him through his genes, how many generations should i check back?? Or would it have been passed to one of his parents if one of their parents were cow hocked???

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.133.47
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say that it's possible it could be passed through generations, especially if there was line breeding going on.
From what you say about his condition and care during his growing years, it does not sound like it is a genetic condition. Especially since his parents are show quality. I would attribute his condition to improper nutrition and care. More than likely if his previous owners didn't take care of his coat, nutrition and so on, they probably didn't take proper care of his hooves either.
Just some thoughts.

Anonymous
Posted From: 203.34.9.250
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 05:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy, Thanks very much for your help! Its given me something to consider. I am still a bit weary though. Ill see how we go. THANKS AGAIN!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US