MAIN PAGE
EQUINE REPRODUCTION ARTICLES
SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page
 
Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board
 
Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
New Posts New Posts Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Palomino from a grey -- is it possible?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Palomino from a grey -- is it possible? « Previous Next »


Author Message
 

Jen Q.
Posted From: 67.71.3.44
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible for a heterozygous grey mare to produce a palomino foal when bred to a palomino stallion?

What is the likelihood, and if not possible what are the most likely colour possiblities?
 

Sandy
Posted From: 4.227.172.228
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, what is the mare's base color?
Where she is heterozygous grey, she has a 50% chance of producing grey. The other 50% depends on what her base color is. If she is chestnut/sorrel, she has a 25% chance of producing palomino, 25% chance of producing chestnut/sorrel, with the 50% possibility of the foal greying out.
 

Jen Q.
Posted From: 67.71.3.44
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you determine the mare's base colour?
 

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.249.201
Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would have to find out what color she was when she was born. A true grey is born their base color and then turns white with age. Greys are identified when they are foals by the fact that they get white "goggles" around their eyes.
Does she have any flea bitten spots? Sometimes you can tell by those.
If you can't find out her color when she was born or if she doesn't have any colored spots on her body at all, you're going to have a hard time determining what her color was before she turned white. Then I guess it would be just a gamble on what color of foal you will get.



Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service
 

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US