SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Sabino Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Sabino Question « Previous Next »

dorthyinoz
Posted From: 209.213.251.156
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is all grey (looks white) but when wet one sees high white socks, pink on her belly, and a huge white blaze with a pink splotch on the bottom lip. She is being bred to a Liver chestnut with white socks and a blaze. What colour will the foal most likely be?

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.249.32
Posted on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any time you deal with a grey, you have a 50% chance of getting a grey...unless your grey is homozygous, in which case you will get grey 100% of the time.
Knowing what colors your mare's sire and dam were would help you a lot. If they are both grey, it is likely your mare is a homozygous grey.
As for the sabino, you also have a 50% chance of that cropping up also.
Do you know what base color your mare was before she turned white? If she was any form of a chestnut at all, you will get a chestnut base colored foal.
There are just so many different variables when you're dealing with grey and other patterns on top of that.
Finding what your mare's color histories are: her base color, her sire and dam's colors, are going to help you a lot.

Eagle View Arabian
Posted From: 198.81.26.13
Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had one of those crazy outcomes you would never imagine. My mare is bay with one white sock, both of her parents bay with hardly any white. The stallion I bred to is bay with 3 white socks and a small strip on his face. His sire was bay, no white and his dam was grey. I have used this stud before and got 2 bays with a little white. Well, this time I got a chestnut sabino!!! Huge white blaze, two hind stockings that go up to her hocks and a big white belly spot. To say that I was surprised is an understatement. This stallion is 15 and has only produced one other chestnut in his breeding career. It just goes to show you even when you think you know what you will get, genetics can pop up at any time! :-)

Cathy
Posted From: 65.54.98.163
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the stallion or mare have even a small while mark on their chin? If they do there is your marker! I have a mare with very minimal markings. Small star and snip, but she has white on her chin. I did not know that the chin spots where a sabino marker. I have 4 sabino foals out of 6 from 4 different solid stallions and this mare. I have since done alot of research and found out about her chin spot!!! Cathy

Eagle View Arabians
Posted From: 64.12.116.22
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare does not have any white on her chin and honestly I'm not sure about the stallion. I know that he has a narrow strip down his face but I don't remember if he has any white on his chin. I'll have to ask his owner. I have to say though that the filly is pretty fancy looking and has a great personality to boot! :-)

Joanna
Posted From: 12.32.46.0
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a sabino?

Cathy
Posted From: 65.54.98.157
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanna check out this site it is the best I have found for color. Cathy

www.equinecolor.com/sabino.html

Joanna
Posted From: 12.32.46.0
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Cathy
That really explained a lot

Katherine
Neonate
Username: Katincan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I am in need of some help
I have a 2 yr old filly she is chestnut with what appears to be flaxen mane and tail intermittent with chestnut hairs .She has a star and white roaning on her nose and a flaxen muzzle with black skin under ,detached white markings on 2 of her legs and all legs are flaxen toned from the pastern to the knee or hock . She has roaning all over the body but heavier on the barrel ... there are some small white markings on her under belly . and she has some white hairs between her lower lip and chin ..Her damlines carry the rabicano gene maternal granddam is skunk tailed with minimal roaning her mother has minimal roaning a white hair here and there both of the above are black and come from black lines .. I am uncertain as to what clarifies Sabino from rabicano ??? should this filly be registered as sabino ????? Any help would be great
Thank You
Kathy

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US