SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Grey & Flaxen Chestnut = ??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Grey & Flaxen Chestnut = ?? « Previous Next »

Britnie Ann
Neonate
Username: Britnie

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone want to take a crack? I know next to nothing about genetics, lol.

I also only know sire and dam colors, dapple grey and flaxen chestnut. Sorry I'm not real helpful!
I do know her 2 previous foals were apparently flaxen like herself? (the previous owner THOUGHT they were) Dont know sire colors of those.

Any ideas?

(Message edited by Britnie on March 30, 2007)

Shelley Housh
Nursing Foal
Username: Sterling_shagyas

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grey stallion had a black foal out of a chestnut mare last year. The AQHA has a great color genetics guide that I use for reference, although I do not have any QH. Am not sure if they have it online - you may want to check. I picked it up at the AQHA headquarters in TX.

Colleen Beck
Yearling
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try here http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator3.asp

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question about flaxen mane and tails. I have a chestnut sabino but she also has a flaxen mane, only the mane not the tail. What causes a mane to be flaxen? I know it's not directly related to the sabino gene since I have seen plently of sabino chestnuts without flaxen manes. Is is a seperate gene altogether?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any answers for me? :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 734
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I meant to post this picture too just for fun

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/023.jpg

There's her flaxen mane :-)

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 412
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy. I meant to check into this eariler, but ran out of time. This is all the info I found so far hope it helpshttp://www.equinecolor.com/modifiers.html#flaxen

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 735
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Charlene! It sounds like no one really knows how it works either :-) I like that website though.

Beth
Weanling
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Britnie Ann. Do you know what colour the dapple grey was born? If his dapples are dark,its more than likely he was born black or dark bay. The foal will more than likely be either black or chestnut but if you don't know what colour the sire was born, bay and brown are also possible but not as likely. Each foal has a 50% chance of turning grey as it grows older.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US