SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Appaloosa color question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » Appaloosa color question « Previous Next »

Sarah Miller
Neonate
Username: Annieapp

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a blue roan appaloosa mare that has been crossed with a few spot chestnut stallion. I'm trying to figure out what base color might be produced and what chances there are for her to produce a roan baby. He is 100% color producer with a wide range of Appy patterns thrown. The mare's papers call her a bay roan, but she is definately a blue, both of her parents are black. Unsure of the patterns. The stallion came out of 2 black leopards. I'm hoping for at least a few spots on the baby. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Kelly Bowman
Weanling
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Sarah!
I too have a mare bred to a few spot appy stallion and 100 % of his babies have had very loud color! Before I bred my mare to him, I had the stallion owner email me photos of his offspring and it is wild to see the range of colors and markings with the babies. My mare is bay and the stallion's owner said with that most of the babies with a bay were bay with a rear blanket and spots. All of this stallion's offspring had lots of spots. He did throw leopards on a couple of bays, but most leopards were from white mares. So as the stallion's owner told me, "you will get spots; the exciting part is where..." When is your baby due?

JANE OLNEY
Nursing Foal
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woody's mom is a few spot bay. We do not know who his dad is, a grey, pinto, or a dark brown. The woman who was the mare's prior owner felt that it was the pinto. Woody has no pinto traits. I have learned so much by going to the appaloosa project on yahoo groups. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/theappaloosaproject/

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/PC160030_edited-1.jpg

JANE OLNEY
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to post your babies. I enclosed a pict of my 19 yr gelding blue roan. So now my herd includes a chestnut leopard (Woody), a few spot bay (Amber), and a blue roan with spotted blanket (Blue).
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/P6290004.jpg

Kelly Bowman
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane!
Your horses are beautiful! and thanks for the link to the appaloosa project. Again, I absolutely love Woody and he looks so cute with his Christmas ribbon. So glad he's doing well now! I am expecting the baby in March so I will hopefully post a picture then!

Sarah Miller
Neonate
Username: Annieapp

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jane & Kelly,

Thanks so much for your response. The baby is sooo cute! I can't wait to see mine. They think it's going to be a girl. We'll see. The stallion tends to throw either really loud leopards or snow caps. The baby is due in May. This is the breeder's mare and stallion and we will be buying the baby if all goes well. We decided not to breed my mare for a variety of reasons. I have an Appy mare and gelding, both bay varnish roans and one paint gelding. I can't wait to see your baby Kelly. Let me know how it goes.

JANE OLNEY
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOODY NEWS!!!

I look at all the posts on a daily basis...so I will just post here. This is where Woody belongs! His front hoofs are growing in black with some stripes. He has a bunch of black hair around his eyes. Some spots on his lower area are turning black...these are mainly where he has rubbed the hair off as a newborn...his elbows, knees, and ankles. I think he is going to be a tri colored appy. It is so much fun looking at him daily.
The equine dentist came out to do Mom the other day. Woody had his teeth looked at. When Mom was getting done he couldn't keep his curiosity in check.
I finally was able to put my herd together. Mom wanted to beat up on my boss gelding (20 yrs old) when I first put them together. Now Woody is having fun with his Mom and step-dad. Mom goes off and minds her eating...while Woody and Blue (see his pict above) play. The first day together, Woody removed both fly masks (sun shades), from Mom and Blue.
I plan to post picts when my techno son can download them for me.

Jenni Luttrell
Yearling
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 02:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane - GOOD LOOKING APPS all of them are and Woody is just cute as a button!!!!!!!

JANE OLNEY
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some woody black spots. What does anyone think?
[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/P2190010.jpg[/IMG]

Kelly Bowman
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look black to me. It will be interesting to see how he sheds out this summer. I had a leopard who was similar colors as Woody and as he got older, his spots would change. He had brown spots and a couple of dark brown or blackish brown spots and the tip of his ears were black browned outlined. Most people just called his coloring "leopard"... I would call Woodie a tri-colored.

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know alot about appys but you girls have some pretty horses. Oh and the spots look black to me too.

Dusty Housh
Weanling
Username: Belles_momma

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane-- thanks for refering me to these threads. And yes woody does look like he is getting black spots.

My mare Jill is a few spot bay, bred to a bay with full blanket. they have one filly together, her name is belle.and my other baby that is 19 mths old and a bay with small white blanket. looks like she is wearin a diaper.

Dusty Housh
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom has a leopard app that is gray looking on the head, legs, mane, tail but spotted every where else. is this a blue roan app?

sorry i dont know the real name for the colors. thanks again dusty

Shelley Housh
Neonate
Username: Sterling_shagyas

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dusty,
This is not horse related - just saw your name on the posting - Housh. It's my name as well. I just never find anyone else with it. Where are you at?

Dusty Housh
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey shelley I noticed that too LOL. Im in West Virginia. I dont ever hear of anyone with our last name either other than my husbands family. Guess its not a very common name huh|?

JANE OLNEY
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dusty,
Does your Mom's horse look like mine above? Blue roans start black with a blanket..or without one! Their white genes take over and the black gradually changes to grey as they age. Their leopard spots remain black.

Dusty Housh
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Jane, Rosie looks alot like your horse blue. Hes pretty and woody is adorable. cant wait for mine to get here.

JANE OLNEY
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dusty! I can't wait to see your baby!

Dusty Housh
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane I hope Jill keeps moving along. She has been agitated alot in the last couple of days. I bought a camera today so I could post pics of my girls and my moms,But the stupid camera shuts my computer down every time I go to download. SO I guess it will go back Mom has 3 Rosie blue roan, Santana {both my babies daddy} he is bay w/ full blanket. And she has Albert which is my sons colt {son named him LOL} he is a few spot bay. Big ol boy! If I ever get pics I will post them all for you to see. Oh about how big {height and weight} does an app usually get? Talk to ya later Jane.

SHELLEY-----HUBBY WANTS TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. HIS DAD HAD A VERY LARGE FAMILY AND HALF ARE UNKNOWN.

Shelley Housh
Neonate
Username: Sterling_shagyas

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dusty,
I live near Los Angeles. My father was born and raised here. I do know of some distant cousins of my fathers in Kansas, but no other Houshes nearby.

JANE OLNEY
Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dusty, It really depends on the height and weight of Mom and Dad. Woody's Mom is 14.3. His Dad is 15 hands. I used a measurment tool that I found on here someplace and guestimated Woody at being 15.1...by the measurement of his cannon bone. I can't remember who the formula came from.

Measure from the indention in their knee (center) to the top of their hoof (not the bottom). The number of inches is the hands they will be, plus add one more...Woody was 15 inches, so he will be 15.1.
If he were 15 3/4 inches, he would be 15.3 hands, plus .1 would mean that he would be 16 hands.

I hear this works at any age.

It is a fun cool tool.

Dusty Housh
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS JANE! I will try that on my filly she is 19 mths old. Momma doesnt want anything much to do w/ messing around her legs.Belle the filly was VERY SMALL at birth. And until we got her she wasnt fed right either. So given her age should she grow much more? I havent ever had a young horse so im not sure about this stuff.

PS Belle is still short. I would say not much more than 14 hands. Im 5'6 and her back comes to my chest. Her head is above mine when she is standing straight. Her daddy isnt more than 15-16 hands my mom said{ she owns him}her momma is about 15 hands my mom also said so when I find out their measurments Ill let you know.

JANE OLNEY
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard they grow until 4 yrs or so. I sold my last young one in his 3rd summer. When I went to visit him a few months ago, he had visibly grown and had filled out considerably.

Dusty Housh
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane just thought I would stop by to say that my mare Jill finally foaled on Easter sunday. She has a beautiful bay filly. Lil Lilly has a few spots on her rump and one white sock. She is so cute. We named her Lilly like the Easter lilly, but call her Lil Lilly cause she is so tiny.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!!! Would love to see a pict!

Kelly Bowman
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Dusty! would like to see picts!

Jane, I have been trying to load some pictures on Photobucket, but they are not loading! I think Star is getting color. She has developed a "spot" on her hip, and the white hair under her bay rump fur is starting to fill in. She still looks bay from a distance, but when you part her hair you can see the white.
Also, I am not sure how to register her with the pending appy color. Any suggestions?

If you want to see, I can email you pictures. My email is
rollinghorsestudio@cox.net.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly,
I know nothing!
She would probably be a bay roan. See Woody's Mom (above). Black mane and tail. There are snowflake or leopard blanket, few spot, roan, or traits.

Dusty Housh
Weanling

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jane and Kelly. I have ordered a digital cam. but dont know when I will get it. When I do I will be sure to post pics of Lilly.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US