SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What colour will I get?????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » What colour will I get????? « Previous Next »

Paula Brambley
Neonate
Username: Paulab

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. Question for all you experts.

My mare is due to foal in 2 weeks.
Her family tree is this.
She is bay black points 4 socks star and snip
(she goes darker in her winter coat.) This is her here:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/PaulaBrambley/dscn5085.jpg
Her Sire was chestnut with stockings and blaze So was his sire and dam and their sires and dams.
Pic here of her sire:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/PaulaBrambley/IndianFireDance.jpg

Her mother was dark bay/brown but a bit sealy maybe?? pic here:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/PaulaBrambley/94945262nMmNRc_ph.jpg

Her sire was chestnut and her dam brown, NO white markings on either of them.

The sire of my foal is the same as my mare, pic here:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/PaulaBrambley/IMAG016.jpg

His sire was the same as him and his dam was chestnut minimal white. There are a few greys further back but mainly chestnut and bays

My mares dam threw a bay then a chestnut alternatively each year she was bred to the same stallion.

The sire of my foal has thrown bay chestnut and grey so far to a variety of mares.

What colour will my foal be and am I likely to get lots of white markings?

Thanks Heaps

Teena Bain
Neonate
Username: Bluejay

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say BAY with chrome..

Elise Krueger
Nursing Foal
Username: Elise

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paula,
According to the color calulator on APHA website,
your foal has:
40% chance of sorrel
28% chance of bay
19% chance of chestnut
9% chance of black
3% chance of brown.......
Let us know what you get !!!!

Teena Bain
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting on the color calculator coming up with high chance of sorrel since her lines are bay, brown and chestnuts? I know sorrel is diluted chestnut.. So, I bred my sorrel mare (paly, dun and chestnut on lines) to a light buckskin dun (bay and paly) on lines. I just knew I would get buckskin or red dun.. I got a dark bay with black points and a dorsal. Looks like Sir Cool Skip (bay on sire’s side) dominated that one..

I bred a light chestnut (daughter to this other mare) to the same buckskin horse. I got smutty buckskin out of that cross.. She is pretty dark. Other interesting thing is this stallion has no white on him. Both my mares have chrome all the way around. The smutty buckskin has none and the bay has a little sock on one back leg and a tiny diamond shaped snip on his nose.

Would be interesting to see what Paula gets on her cross.. What does your chart say for over splashed chestnut overo with two blue eyes (APHA) crossed to sorrel with four white socks and blaze (QH)? The overo is out of two BS APHA.. The QH produces high percentage of white crossed to QH.. Also, same sorrel crossed to light paly with mostly paly in lines? Paly I hope?

I enjoyed looking at your web site and you have very nice horses. I find the whole color genetics to be very interesting and not always what you think…

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paula,

Your mare and the stallion she was bred to(with the history of chestnut in the past), are both Heterozygous for the Agouti (Aa) and Red Gene (Ee). Therefore, the following coats characteristics of the resulting foal are:

56.25% - Bay
25.00% - Chestnut/sorrel (genetically the same)
18.75% - Black

White markings (leg/face) have not been able to be determined genetically...so this will be the surprise when the foal is born :-)

Teena,
Your resulting foal has a 100% chance of being sorrel/chestnut, with a 50% chance of paint markings. I put in that the paint was an overo.

You can do the genetics on the following genetic testing website. Even better if you have prior knowledge of parentage to fill in the hetero/homo history.

http://www.animalgenetics.us/CCalculator1.asp

Paula Brambley
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone,
Given that I "ordered" a bay colt Im sure Im going to get a chestnut filly LOL! Im pleased to see that the chances of a bay are good. I really want Bay with LOTS of chrome.

I will let you know what we get.

Jennifer
Yearling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paula,

I did just that, 16 years ago when I bred my first mare. I was hoping for a bay colt with lots of white. I got a solid chestnut filly. I love her anyway!

Here goes again...
Heres hoping for a bay, but I know I've got a 50% chance of another chestnut.

Paula Brambley
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh Jennifer.....Im sure thats whats going to happen to me.....A gingernut girl, Still, like you say Ill love it anyway.

Teena Bain
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, Thank you.. I figured it would be red of some sort.. But, was hoping for higher chance on the color pattern.. My stallion did produce a crop out on QH mare that has roaning. So, I got the loudest Overo I could find with more white then anything else in hopes to up my odds.. LOL

Paula, I think you are going to get a bay… Beautiful bay colt, with all the trimmings… LOL.. I love them all. The only thing that ever disappoints me is boys. .LOL.. I like to get all girls…. We breed fine QH and love it… Really love the babies… Happy foaling ..

Paula Brambley
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the world......"Play Park Adonis"
By Night at the Opera +au out of Ayn Dara Persephone (aka Sassy)
A beautiful BAY COLT- just what I ordered. Born at 11pm New Years Eve
he is 3/4 Arabian 1/4 TB
Pics here
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/PaulaBrambley/IMG_1113.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/PaulaBrambley/IMG_1128.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/PaulaBrambley/IMG_1105.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h60/PaulaBrambley/IMG_1102.jpg
}

Elise Krueger
Nursing Foal
Username: Elise

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Paula,
He's gorgeous !! Love the name !

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paula,
Congrats on a beautiful colt! What a doll. I am so glad you got what you ordered and healthy too!

Jan O

Jennifer
Yearling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paula,

He's beautiful!!! And not a chestnut like I'm gonna get! ;) Congrats!!!

Paula Brambley
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys.
Jennifer- pray for a chestnut and youll get a bay! Worked for me......LOL!

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who wants to give an idea of a foal color on this one... the color predictor page doesnt cover this...
f-qh dun mare (frosted mane and tail, black and red mixed, minimal black on legs except for stripes and "brindle" type colors, two dark patches on each side of jowels, probable cream gene(very light colored, and her sire has it)
X
f-qh champagne gold stallion(appears palomino, but is actually a champagne by My Skip Vanzi )
any predictions welcome...im curiosu about this one! ( I will be selling this foal...anyone interested?)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 898
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who wants to give an idea of a foal color on this one... the color predictor page doesnt cover this...
f-qh dun mare (frosted mane and tail, black and red mixed, minimal black on legs except for stripes and "brindle" type colors, two dark patches on each side of jowels, probable cream gene(very light colored, and her sire has it)
X
f-qh champagne gold stallion(appears palomino, but is actually a champagne by My Skip Vanzi )
any predictions welcome...im curious about this one! ( I will be selling this foal...anyone interested?)

Teena Bain
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to say a Dun if she has a dorsal. I would like to say buckskin with brown points if no dorsal...LOL... Fun to see how they turn out.. got some light colors there. Could be buttermilk.. YUMMY color

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US