SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What color is my colt??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Equine Genetics » What color is my colt?? « Previous Next »

Dorthy Brown
Weanling
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has been so many different colors it seems. He started out a light chestnut with a dorsal stripe--thought he would be dun like his sire. then as he shed he looked like he was shedding in darker now he is like a very dark rusty color
Heres his newest pic. His sire is a Bay Dun with all the Dun characteristics--the foals coat color is actually very similar in color to his. The foals dam is a roan Appy, she has many spots too.
First pic is the sire, second dam third the foal
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/docnice-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/cherokee.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/DSC00823.jpg[/IMG]

Dona Neargarder
Neonate
Username: Kickapoominis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your colt looks Chestnut in that photo. Of course, he may later "appy out" and acquire some roaning and/or spots like his dam.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id say chesnut too defo, doesnt look like he got dads agouti for sure but maybe mums roan as Dona said.

Dorthy Brown
Weanling
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can chestnuts have a dorsal stripe and zebra bars on their legs? With his winter coat you really can't see them in that pic but he does have them, or could they just look like he has them and really be counter shading? Heres one leg-not the greatest pic
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/dodib/DSC00649.jpg[/IMG]

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, chestnuts can have a dorsal stripe and leg barring. They are countershaded. I have a chestnut stallion that has a dorsal, and a mare that is a reg dun, that is NOT a dun. She has leg barring and a dorsal as well. But in 7 foals, she has never had a dun. I guess we wont know for sure until the can find the dun gene to have them color tested though..Red base horse can carry the agouti gene (bay restrictive)though.

Leia
Weanling
Username: Leia

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This post has been quiet for quite a while but my question still applies here so I will ask it! My filly Tessa is out of a chestnut mare (Allie) and a grey stallion. Although I noticed with the foaling cam that Allie (the dam) has a dorsal stripe that I never noticed before, but sure enough there it is. Allie is by a red dun Stallion. http://www.6666ranch.com/MrSunOLena.shtml and a brown mare.
Anyways Tessa seems to be very light colored on her lower body and legs and darker as you go up. And she has a very noticable dorsal stripe and may be some countershading on her withers hard to tell sometimes if Im imaging it, but no leg stripes. Does this mean that my mare carries the dun gene without too much expression and could Tessa be a dun? Tessa's sire is grey (like I mentioned before) and his parents were grey and red roan.

Here is a pics of them!
Allie http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/wshnonastarfire/Allies%20foal/?action=vi ew&current=IMG_0208.jpg
And Tessa
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/wshnonastarfire/Allies%20foal/

and the Sire...just cuz
http://www.6666ranch.com/SevenFromHeaven.shtml

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks chestnut to me.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both are chestnut.

Leia
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm thats cool....just checking :-)

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 530
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chestnut/sorrel (same thing!)

It is normal to have the lighter shading on the legs at birth, especially with the sorrel. The deep striping you see is not a true dorsal stripe...more of an indicator of what the foals color will be once it sheds the foal coat.
My bay colt was born with a DARK stripe down his back :-). Cracked me up 'cause I knew there wasn't a hint of dun anywhere :-). He'll be pretty darn dark.
See, take a peek:
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/Grace%202007%20foal/P2230540. jpg[/IMG]

Leia
Weanling

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm..didnt know that about the stripe...well I guess you learn something new everday! Thanks!

E Watkins
Weanling
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia- keep in mind that your filly could change to gray, I'd be watching for that foal coat to shed off and looking for white hairs to come in around her eyes. We've had several foals born red that later changed to gray out of our gray stud. By the way, I love that stallion that she's out of, I've considered breeding one of my mares to him too. Good luck with the filly, Ev.

Leia
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im hoping she doesn't grey...her markings are so great that I would hate for her to change, but I cannot help that now! But does have white hairs on her wither area, just a couple of them though.

Anyways, Seven From Heaven was my choice out of a couple of the Sixes studs mostly cuz he had such a friendly personality. They brought him out of his stall for me and he walked right up to say hello. Also he was right in the middle of breeding season and not once did he act studly when he was out, just like he was a gelding. That is what really caught my eye and heart, what a nice boy he is! But from when those pictures were taken he has really gotten light color !!! I have some personal pics I took of him if you wanna see them.

E Watkins
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia,

I'd love to see them, our stud we sold a few years back looked similar to him in the photo you posted previously. Is he predominantly white now then? our stud was 8 when we sold him and still quite dark. I have a bay 2 y/o gelding out of him that I keep hoping will turn gray.. another year and I'll have to give up on him. He does have a LOT of white hair in his tail and an occasional one in his mane, so there IS still hope. His sire at 7 still had a blue/black mane.. so maybe my boy will take after him and is just getting a slow start on going gray.

Cconner
Weanling
Username: Cconner

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia, I would bet that she will gray. I have a 6yr old grand daughter of Smart Little Lena that is gray. She was born a chestnut and shed gray. Is in foal 348 days today to a son of Cattin and I am curious as to what color we will end up with. My mares sire is Smart Little Cutter which is a Palamino and her dam is a gray. The stallion she is bred to is a sorrell but he has a couple Palaminos on his papers. Anyways, I really like the stud your baby's out of; I am really partial to Cutting and Reining horses. Keep us posted when she sheds.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CConnor,
You read my mind. After I went back and saw the stud link....well, there's a 50/50 chance!
Either way...nice breeding cross...the Sixes have an impecable breeding program.

Leia
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted some of my pics I took while visiting the Sixes.

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/wshnonastarfire/Tessas%20daddy/

Allie was bred and raised at the Sixes and she is probably the nicest mare I have ever been around. When I was in college at Colorado State we had an agreement with the Sixes to send their long yearling filly's to the school for the students to break. For a year I was involved with that program and Allie was assigned to me to train for one semester and I fell in love! But most of the fillies were GREAT! They do breed for the best down there!

(sorry for the book!) LOL

E Watkins
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia- thanks for sharing, I love his eyes, he looks so calm and intelligent. Can you tell me what the average price is on their fillies? (just for curiosity sake?)

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather~ how is buddy doing with his meds and his new meal plan? I hope he is doing well!!! havent had an update lately...I figure no news is good news!?!?!?

Leia
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a concrete number for an average but I know at least some have sold for around $4K as weanlings. The highest I have seen was this filly below at $6,500...I hope that helps

http://www.horseauctions.com/2005/1393/108.shtml

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 536
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everybody!

Kris,
Buddy appears to be responding well. Knock on wood....he has not had any episodes since coming home from A&M. He has started playing again, and picking up weight. He has to be fed 4 times a day. All the alfalfa & hay he can eat. And, of course the ever-so-pricey gastrogard daily.
I am cautiously optimistic.
So far, so good..keep your fingers crossed (legs, eyes, and toes too!). Buddy is still pretty thin, but looks so much better. To see him play again (and not colic afterwards), is a relief.

Charlie is a CHUNK, and always looking for trouble! A good boy though, and growing like a weed.
Grace, I am happy to say....has been confirmed in foal! Thank goodness...caught on the first shipment. Wanted to hug my repro vet :-). 3 years in a row...and in foal the first AI each time. She will be re-ultrasounded next week to check for the heartbeat.

For now, I'm just trying to avoid vet bills! NO MORE!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 229
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather,

congrats on the pregnancy! That fertility dance must be working!

Jan

E Watkins
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia, thanks, I was just curious, sometimes I think it might be better to buy a live foal rather than go thru all the expense of the breeding and the fees involved.

Leia
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have a point there... get less grey hairs that way! LOL

the Sixes always has a sale at the beginning of October, usually the second weekend I think. Check their website for updates

www.6666ranch.com

Also Colorado State is now putting on a sale in March where the Sixes sell some of the fillies in the CSU colt training program and there are lots of other big name ranches that are starting to sell there too

http://equinescience.colostate.edu/content/view/125/75/

Just so you know!

(Message edited by Leia on April 12, 2007)

E Watkins
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia- true, you'd have better luck getting the color you wanted, though they can/do change sometimes.

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia, my mare foaled Friday morning at 1:45AM. She had a chestnut stud colt, however, I am pretty sure he is going to shed gray. I will try to get some pics of him in the next day or two and post them for you to see. It is really cold and nasty here right now so I am waiting for a prettier day to turn them out and take pics. I'm not big on taking pics in stalls, they're much prettier out in the open when they can enjoy themselves. Anyways, weather is supposed to be better tomorrow!

Leia
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc~ We should compare our sneaky chestnuts! She has started to sprout really dark almost black hair in her mane...is this a sign?? HMMM....

Anyways I hear you about the weather ours is awful too! My filly is going stir crazy since she can't go outside right now cuz it either raining or snowing and COLD! Today is supposed to be better and the sun is out (finally!) I almost forgot what it looked like...what a crazy spring!

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia- Yesterday was a really nice day so I turned mama & baby out, I just love to watch them run for the first time! He was 2days old and had no idea what grass was, it was great.
Have you ever seen a colt that wouldn't lay down yet was active and healthy? He is doing as well as my other colts yet I have not seen him lay down once. He was in a stall for the first 2 days and I check on them FREQUENTLY and he is ALWAYS standing and never has any shavings on him like he had been laying down. He does doze standing next to his mama but that is the extint. When I turned him out yesterday for the first time, he was out for about an hour and a half and I stayed at the barn the whole time so I looked out on him a lot- guess what, he still never layed down. Any insight I might not be aware of? All of my babies lay and rest for periods and I have never had one that was active yet wouldn't lay. Thanks.

Leia
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That first day outside sure is fun!! Tessa was all over exploring, chewing on fence posts, tree trunks, grass and everything else she could reach. All was so new for her and the wonder look on her face was priceless!

Most foals I have ever known have slept lying down. I know Tessa always sleeps laying down, never really standing up. Did he maybe have a tumble or get stuck down and now not want to go back down? Does his momma lay down alot to "teach" him how? I know my filly didnt lay back down her first day til her momma did and then she followed suit (although she fell alot at first). As long as he is eating, exploring, playing, and going to the bathroom he should be fine I would think.

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia- about 10 minutes after I posted I went outside to play with my kids and there he was laying down out in the pasture. Wouldn't you know I have watched him as close as I could and never saw him down, then as soon as I posted about it down he went- ha!ha! He is doing great and I hope to post some pics of him soon, I only have dial up so it takes sooooo long.

Leia
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe.... thats great! They can be so sneaky!! LOL

Stephanie
Neonate
Username: Redwood66

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia your Tessa is beautiful! The 6666 ranch has great horses. I like that you picked a stud by his demeanor since I did the very same thing with all the studs at Black Rock Ranch here in Idaho. My mare is such a creep that I wanted a stud with a nice personality. Diamond came right up to me and he has such a nice eye. The 6666 ranch has been around a long time. My great grandfather, who was alive until I was 19, worked for them as a wrangler in the 1920's. He met my great grandmother there. She was a cook.

Leia
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Stephanie! I love her to pieces!! The 6666 has a great breeding program but I wanted a horse that I would want to be around...not just a great performer you know? So I had to go and meet the boy to pick out for my girl!

Leia
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well guess what everyone...I have white hairs above Tessa's eyes now...I guess that just about answers my question about what color she is or will be...GRAY!!! haha LOL

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/wshnonastarfire/Allies%20foal/?action=vi ew&current=Picture054.jpg
Not the greatest picture...its from my cell phone...but those really are white hairs!

Anyone out there have a chestnut that turn gray...What color do they turn out as? Like a rose gray color? or will they get dark and then lighten with the dapples? HMMM.... never had a chestnut grey out before, they were always bay or black then dappled out.

Lori Coleman
Breeding Stock
Username: Editorlady

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aha! I've been looking for them too, Leia, but to no avail. However Stella's muzzle is really grey looking...
I have no idea how they end up turning--it's hard to imagine, actually.
Thanks,BTW, for the tips on getting the pix. I've had my daughter working on it but haven't had time myself...

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia & Lori- I have a gray mare that was born chestnut; however, I did not get her until she was 3yrs old so I don't know at what point she really turned grey. She is now 6yrs old and she is lighter than when I got her. When I first got her she was a dark grey with few dapples and over the last 3 years she has gotten lighter and dappled more. Below are pics of her at 6yrs old with her chestnut foal that I am pretty sure is going to grey. He is 4 days in the pics.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/cconner63/100_0741.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/cconner63/100_0744.jpg

Leia, this is the mare and colt I posted about last week. Smart Little Lena, Cattin, & Vandal breeding.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cconner, if she was chestnut..where did the black come from, or is that just really dark brown. Her points look black in the pics. I can't say that I've ever seen the process from start to finish on a chestnut. Interesting.

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen- she does have black points but if you look at certain areas (like her throat latch) you can see a chestnut mixed in. I'm good with color genetics, I have read and tried to figure it out but it is very complicated, I hope you are better at it than I am. I know her papers still show chestnut and I am going to have to get them changed in order to register the colt. Since her papers still show chestnut, I'm not sure if she was registered before the 7month marker that AQHA has and then she changed or what. I guess what I'm trying to say is I am assuming that she did not shed her foal hair to a gray or she wouldn't have been registered as a chestnut (unless the owners registered her as soon as she was born). Her sire was a Palamino and her dam was a grey. I am almost 100% sure this colt will also grey because he has some white hairs in different places.
I have a 15yr old grade gelding that I have raised (bay sire and bay dam) and when he was born he had NO black points, main & tail were reddish brown and his legs were blond but he shed into a bay. If I had a scanner I would scan some pics of him as a foal and pics of him now (15yrs later). Anyways sorry for the book, if you learn anything or have any info on the greying let me know.

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen, I forgot to add that from my research most greys are born with a base color and change into grey. I know with AQHA if you register a colt as a grey, you are supposed to tell them the base color of when the foal was born. Just a piece of info.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if your mare was registered as a very young foal, they thought she was chestnut, but maybe was bay (hence the black points) with the gray modifier on top. The chestnuts that I've seen gray out look kind of rose-gray and don't have black points, but kind of darkish brown points. What color is your colt's Sire? My colt is out of a gray and white tobiano and a black and white tobiano - he is already graying. I body clipped him partially because it is warm and he is already gray on his flanks. We have his full brother who is a yearling and is still black and white so I guess he's not going to gray. Anyway, color genetics are really interesting.

Leia
Yearling

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also FYI you can register a foal with the AQHA and leave the color blank to fill in later and still make the 7 month mark. I will probably have to do that with Tessa since she can't decide what color to be!! LOL Also I think it costs 10 bucks to make a change to existing registration papers.

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen- Since I did not own the mare as a foal I'm not sure about her points; however, she was born to cutting trainers so I would think they surely knew the difference in a chestnut and a bay. My colts sire is a sorrell and his owner said when we bred my mare that he would bet that she would have a grey colt. Anyways time will tell but I'm 99% sure that he will grey also (& he does not have any black points). I agree color genetics are very interesting and unless you have them tested, looks can be deceiving!

Leia- when you register a colt with AQHA by the 7 month mark they always give you 1 chance to change the color (no fee) as long as it is done within a certain period of time. And yes it does cost $10 to change a color if it was not changed as a foal. You also have to send in pics and have the affidavit notorized. WHAT A PAIN!!!!! LOL!! I am having to do this with my mare since they did not change it when they were supposed to.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The grey gene is a modifier. A grey sire or mare has at least a 50% chance of passing on the grey gene to offspring (depending on if they are hetero or homo grey).
All greys are born their base coat, and then grey out with age. Most, it is evident when they are shedding their foal coat.
Depending on which base color they are (sorrel, bay, black,etc)...this also affects the depth of color as a grey.
For instance, rose greys are most common in foals of bay or brown bases. This is because of the dark &/or agouti gene that is passed on to them. You will also see that many of these will have dark points as well (legs, ear tips, etc).
I do like the genetics site that lets you fill in the colors/genetics.
If you don't get the color you want, shove it back in to cook longer :-).

Cconner
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone who has read the previous posts, I was backtracking and saw that I posted that I am very good with color genetics---WRONG!! I'm an idiot and made a typo. I do my research and know my fair share, yet I'm not the greatest with it. Just letting you know that I'm not that arrogant!!!!!!!

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok - I need help determining the color of Cash. There is a lot of discussion on another forum about this. Because he has a dorsal stripe with some horizontal shoulder striping, the stud owner thought he might be dun. I have since learned he cannot be dun unless one parent is dun. His sire is a Black Tobiano and dam is a Black Overo. I'm sure his coat pattern is Tobiano, but I don't know what to call his color on registration papers. Also, is there genetic testing to find out what color he really is.

Cash - right side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/equisan52/Cash/Cash05060718.jpg

Cash - left side
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/equisan52/Cash/Cash05040703.jpg

Dorsal
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/equisan52/Cash/Cashdorsal050407.jpg

If you know of websites or can give me any information - I would appreciate it!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 567
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sandy,
Genetically, I think the only 2 combinations possible are Black & chestnut. Since Cash is DEFINATELY not chestnut, go with black!
It's not uncommon for black foals to be born a bit dusty in color like yours. As Cash blows his foal coat, he will shed out to a darker shade.
The stripe you are seeing is not a true dorsal stripe. It is more of an indicator of future color.
For example, here is a pic of my colt this year..as you can see, he has a prominent stripe and shoulder barring...but he's a BAY! He is now shedding out quite dark, and the stripe is going away.
[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/Grace%202007%20foal/P2230540. jpg[/IMG]

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Heather - I'm hoping Cash doesn't get real dark - I love the brown on him! I also love that he's tri-color right now! I need to get him registered ASAP, so for now, I guess I will call him a Bay Tobiano. I think "bay" covers a lot of different shades of brown. At least I hope so!

Paula Rollins
Neonate
Username: Paular

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the dam and the sire are black then he will be black. There is no possible agouti gene to make him bay. If one parent is really a brown and not black he could possibly be brown, I would would wait to see him shed before registering him, you will be surprised at how much he will change. Also you can have a test for agouti, if he has it he is brown or bay, if he does not he is black, but like I said unless one parent is not black he cannot be bay or brown.

Mary Ann
Weanling
Username: Newbie

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 1 month old colt that was born a light sorrel and in the last week he has gotten a fairly dark muzzle and dark circles around his eyes. Anybody have any ideas what this may indicate? His mother is a dark chestnut QH and dad is a mostly white with black overo. I'll post a picture later on today after taking one.
Thanks.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess the colt will darken like the new colors you are seeing...that is the typical shedding pattern of a foal. So i would guess without seeing pics the foal will be a dark chestnut...sorrel like mom.

Mary Ann
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, maybe. I didn't get a chance to get the pictures today because my baby boy graduated from high school tonight. Hopefully tomorrow...it's almost looking like a black or dark grey though.

Kelly Bowman
Breeding Stock
Username: Kelly_b

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am having a hard time with the color of my filly, too!
She is half arab appaloosa. The sire was a homozygous few spot and mom is bay. I was dissapointed when Star came out with no spots, BUT, as she is shedding out, there is white fur coming up through her coat and I can see some spots developing on her rear even though she looks bay from a distance. I called the Arabian Horse Registry and they were so nice and wanted me to send pictures so that they could help with the color and if it changes and she gets more color I can update her info on the registry.
Perhaps the Paint Association can help you with yours!

Here is Star
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r283/KellyNmav/?action=view&current=may3-1.jp g

You can see her grey muzzle and eyes from the distance and how she is light on her underside.

By the way, Star is such a great filly, that even if she doesn't get more color, she is the coolest pocket pony and easy to work with! Don't ya love em!

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwee shucks Kelly! Spots or no spots, that's just the prettiest filly.
I'm no App officianato by any means, so I have no idea. She looks like the typical bay to me.
The light underside is foal coat, and will shed out to a darker shade.

She's just "so pretty" :-).

Kelly Bowman
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 01:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Heather!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly,

I have a very good friend that breeds appaloosa/arabs. Her's are always born solid and then change drastically. Two of her bays went totally grey with big bay spots, one of her bays got frosting and white spots....that's the fun of the appaloosa blood it can surprise you. Do you see any moltting on her skin (it shows up around the filly's vulva?) or striped hoofs? They make wonderful trail horses. She endurance rides hers. She is darling!

Mary Ann
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a question several posts ago about my colt getting really dark spots around his nose and eyes. Finally have pictures for any input. As I said his father was a white w/black overo and mother a chestnut. His nose is actually looking almost a light black or grey. Would that be possible out of his parents?? Thanks

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P5150081.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P5150083.jpg

Kelly Bowman
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Jan! Thanks for the info. I would like to talk with your friend about her half arabs. I ride distance, but after watching reining at the Scottsdale Arab Show, I would like to look into that if Star has the right confirmation. She totally has mottling on her nose, genitals, and her udders have spots. She also has the stripey back hooves and the white sclera. So....she definately has the characteristics and I am happy she got the arab face! My email is
rollinghorsestudio@cox.net. I would love to get into contact with your friend and talk about the half arab appys. I love both breeds and do enjoy riding competetive trail, endurance, and trail trials.

Mary Ann, your baby is so cute. Isn't it fun trying to fiqure out what color they are going to be!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 588
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly she is beautiful. I loved her mother anyway and I would just be pleased to call her my own - but the baby is gorgeous also. Yeah the light fluff on their legs comes off black later but hopefully you will get the appy your after on that bay as well. Good luck

Mary ann. Very cute foal indeed but unfortunately I am not the right person to tell you anything about colour! Keep sending the photos though, Id like to see what happens : )

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann what you are seeing around the eyes and muzzle is typical shedding of his foal coat.It looks like he is a very pretty sorrel/chestnut.

Mary Ann
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you're saying he'll be the color that the body is now not the color the muzzle is? It doesn't matter to me what color he ends up I'm just anxious to know what color he's going to be...I have no patience!

Just can't resist sharing new pictures either. Here's Chance and Cisco...they have the same daddy.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/DSC00749.jpg
And here's Chance and Sunny (mom)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/5_16_2007.jpg

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No he will be darker than his baby coat. Typically when they first start to shed the color you see is the dark skin. I see his dam is a dark color. He could well be as dark as she is, just not black.

Mary Ann
Weanling

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...gotcha. I'll get it one of these days.

Thanks

Kelly Bowman
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,
It is a small world! Your Arab/Appy friend's mare has the same sire as Star! Her filly was born bay and now is white with leopard spots.
Thank you for forwarding my email to her. We are having fun comparing spotty notes!

Leia
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all

Well I think I cannot deny it any longer...Tessa will be a gray. Here are some updated pics of her to show it! http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/wshnonastarfire/Allies%20foal/

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly...Oh my gosh I can't believe that! Who could have known. What did she think of Star? Did she think she might get spots? I know she would appreciate your horses. I will see her this weekend. Fun!

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia-What a nice little herd you have! I am not really with the program here...is Tessa's dad gray? She looks beautiful...keep showing the pictures so we can see how this gray thing works!

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leia-I looked back and saw the sire. Keep us informed!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US