SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

"Barn Cams", what's better wired or wireless?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Computer Software for use in Reproductive Management » "Barn Cams", what's better wired or wireless? « Previous Next »

charlene birdsall
Neonate
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you that use cameras in your barn, which is more reliable. wired or wireless. I have a metal sided barn and heard that not all cameras get reception with a metal sided barn. Do they all have to be hooked up to a tv screen or can some be hooked up directly to the computer? Any input would be greatly appricated as I need to purchase one soon. Thanks, Charlene

Susannah Hart
Weanling
Username: Glennedynmorgans

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene,

We have an old metal polebarn and ended up having to used wired cameras to view from the house. They're great. We hooked ours up to a t.v. Another thing we discovered is that the energy saver spiral light bulbs will interfere with the camera signals.

Leanne H
Breeding Stock
Username: Cntrygal4life80

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we tried wireless and it sucked.. you cant use it near alot of stuff in your house like microwave wireless stuff.. we had no luck with it so we went to wired camera's.. SO much better.. might be a hassel with the wires but it works alot better. wireless is just a pain in the butt on tryin to get a signal.. so i would say wires work better..

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 839
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a wireless and really like it. I have a creek between me and my mares so wired was pretty much out of the question. But as previously mentioned you can't have any interference. It had a little hand held receiver with a screen so that meant I could carry it with me at all times!!! As long as I was in range of the signal I could see my mare. It also could be hooked up to the tv.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 840
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief!!! I just realized that the original post was from a year and half ago!!!

Linda Bauer --Rebel foaled day 333
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have both but I the wired has a better picture. The wireless has issues with interference. The wireless I have hooked up to a TV and the wired I have hooked up to my computer. Being hooked up to my computer I could do a remote access from my work computer and hook into my camera and view my mare from work. Even after she has foaled I still check in on her and baby from work.

Leanne H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i didnt even notice that it was posted a while ago LOL it just showed up as a new message lol

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 907
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally enjoyed the wireless vs wired discussion...thank you!

Leanne H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea it gives everyone an idea on what to get.. lol

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have wireless AND a metal barn, and couldn't be happier. Check out riverwind surveillance (advertised on marestare) .....they have a transmitter on the outside of the barn, and their customer service cannot be beat. Works very well...I am 400ft from my barn, so no way was i putting in wired. I am impressed and have owned it over a year. The only issue i have is that when the microwave is on, the pic is fuzzy.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane - what is the technology needed for the wireless camera to communicate with the web site. Is it all the same package of equipment or did you have to purchase a receiver to connect to the computer. I have a wireless camera with a receiver that hooks into the TV. I would love to have a web access, also.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 01:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee, If you've already got the receiver connected to your TV, the rest is simple. You need a few things ...first of all, you need a splitter. The splitter will go between your existing receiver and TV...giving you an extra slot to plug into (Radio Shack $5). you then need a cable long enough to go to your computer from TV. I ran mine up thru the attic and down into my office to avoid having cords running thru the house. This cable should then plug into a Video Capture Device. Mine is called Dazzle DVD Recorder. It was purchased at Best Buy for $48. You plug the cable coming from the splitter into the port on the Dazzle, then plug the Dazzle into a usb port on your computer. The only thing you need beyond that is a streaming server and their software (windows media encoder...free download at microsoft.com). I use Camstreams, as it is extremely easy to work and they stream for FREE. If you have more questions, or need some help setting up, email me! kdgilger@att.net

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 955
Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 04:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much...I am going to check this out in the next couple of days!

GLA Performance
Neonate
Username: Glaperformance

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I'm now interested in this and someone brought up marestare... What are all the different foal cam companies online and which one has the most features and is easy to use?

Also, of those who have cameras set up, how many mares have you watched at once and what would you suggest for someone that has say 10-20 foaling horses

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US