SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Anyone planning US to Canada Shipped semen

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Transported Semen » Anyone planning US to Canada Shipped semen « Previous Next »

Karen W
Neonate
Username: All4paints

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With this CEM restrictions & rules is anyone still planning to ship semen.I have a outstanding breeding to use{mare failed to settle last season} I was going to use the breeding for another mare but after reading the new regulations my head is spinning & not sure what this means to me as a mare owner.Seems like alot of red tape,extra$$ & more factors to go wrong to safely get the shipment here.Have also heard some stallion owners not wanting to go through extra hassles of trying to ship to Canada.Many are not clear on what they have to do & or for that matter those working the border.Sounds like a real nightmare.I have read the articles but still I'm very confused about what to do...

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock
Username: Djscoloredcorral

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen: I live in Canada. We are a CEM free designated country. I believe there are a few more hoops to jump through now to try to export semen to Canada than there used to be.

Best bet is the contact Agriculture Canada and look at the website to see what states are closed and which are open, or what additional documentation is necessary to get a shipment over the border. If you can find a link to ask questions or for a Federal Vet, that would be a good place to start.

Also, mare owners have a responsibility to know what the restrictions are for semen getting into their province or into Canada for that matter.

Check out the home page here on this site for the latest up to date info on CEM and exporting to Canada.

If you are looking at a stallion out of the USA, best bet is to check with the owners to see if there is any CEM in their state, and also check the home page here as well as the US Dept of Agriculture website to see which states have been identified as CEM positive states.

I was at a banquet last weekend for end of year awards and many of my colleagues are not shipping in from the US or paying any stud fees as there is always a risk that the Canada Food Inspection Agency or Canada BOrder Agency will refuse to let the shipment in and that is money down the drain for a mare owner waiting for an AI shipment.

I have a Fed Vet I have worked closely with over the past year in trying to get semen exported to AUstralia. Please feel free to email me privately and I will give you his email contact info. I am in Ontario and I see you are out west, but he may have a contact person you can email directly to cut through some of the red tape.

Karen W
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 09:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well one of the first things i'm going to do is speak with the stallion owner.As far as I know stud is in a CEM free zone but i'll find out.Also want to know if she is wanting to go along with all this extra work,how easy is it going to be on her end.After 2 unsucessful seasons trying to settle my one mare,I was going to AI a different mare to him.Stallion owner has been wonderful & accommidating to deal with! ... NOW this CEM stuff i'm so frustrated!!I don't know what she will think now as I know am ready to call it quits & cut my losses,thinking i'm never going to get a baby from this breeding...
I understand it is my responsiblity to get the export papers required $35 or 60 depending if going to buy one time or multiple.I have heard some discussion about people looking into using Frozen semen vs cooled so you can order it in advance have more time to have it here & not worry about your shipment getting stuck or delayed at the border.This is a rebreed so we have shipped from this stallion a few times before & never had trouble getting the product here in time but with all this red tape/hoops to jump through i'm afraid things are not going to go so smooth.

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karen:

I own a stallion here near Ottawa Ontario. www.djscoloredcorral.com (at least until the end of April when he is leaving for Australia)

The problem I am finding with Frozen semen is that none of the vets around here want to be bothered with it. So, even though it is way more convenient as to having it when you need it (provided your vet has tanks to store your straws, and you get enough straws to strengthen your changes of a pregnancy ( Im reading 60% success with frozen is the norm), and you have a vet that is familiar with frozen semen as well as the timing of inseminations etc) not to mention a mare owner that is willing to use frozen semen and the vet as well... frozen can take alot of the frustration of getting the shipment there when you need it.

I would check with your equine vet, and get a name of the Fed Vet for your area and email him/her and ask about any restrictions within the area of the state this stallion resides. They should be able to tell you whether it is a problem or not, and what paperwork you will need to do, and the costs associated with it etc.

I shipped frozen semen to Kentucky before Christmas and had no problems. Stallion was collected and we frozen straws last year. The Kentucky Equine Center just called my stallion station and ordered the straws and had them sent about a week or two before they needed them. I had already sent the stallion station the permission form to send straws to this vet, so I actually didnt even know that they had already gone until the mare had been inseminated and I got an email from the mare owner. They were waiting to see if she had taken (which she did). I didnt need to do any export paperwork or pay any fees other than I had to fill out the shipped semen report that went with the dry shipper. The mare owner paid all fees and the deposit on the dry shipper which they returned from Kentucky within the 5 day requirement.

Beware that there are extra fees incurred with using frozen semen such as a deposit for the dry shipper (retails for about 1100.00) and has to be returned within a limited number of days, so you have to be sure your vet has storage tanks ready to put your straws into, or that you have an agreement with the stallion station for daily rental if necessary.

There is a great article on this board on the timing protocol for inseminating frozen semen. It is worth showing to your vet if you decide to go that route as it can lessen the expense of multiple ultrasounds on the mare and the related farm visits of your vet in trying to achieve the perfect time for insemination. Here is the link to that article. http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/Timed-Insemination.shtml

There are also several other articles on this board if you go to the home page and type in frozen semen or fresh semen in the search link.

Good luck with your mare and this stallion.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Importation of semen from the USA to Canada is not insurmountable with the new regulations - indeed, they are essentially the same as the "old" regulations that were in place before the border opened to semen movement about 10 years ago - but they may prove impossible for some who want to ship cooled semen because of time-lines. The steps are as follows:
  • The mare owner applies to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) for an import permit. We have current application for available for downloading on our web site here (note that it is quite a large file at 552 Kb, so you will want a reasonably fast connection). It would be best to confirm with CFIA that the form is still the current one if someone is reading this in the more distant future!
  • Upon receipt of the import permit, it must be sent to the stallion owner/manager to accompany the semen at time of shipment. If it is a multiple-entry permit (which we recommend with fresh semen in case of the need for a rebreed, even though it is more expensive), then a copy can accompany the semen shipment, but the original must be available for review by CFIA/CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency - formerly "Canada Customs") if requested;
  • The semen is collected in the presence of a veterinarian certified by USDA-Aphis for the purpose (this is typically your normal vet), and they must issue a "Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Semen" that certifies as outlined at the foot of this post;
  • That "Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Semen" is taken to a USDA-Aphis office for endorsement by the Federal Vet;
  • A Customs Invoice must be completed and accompany the shipment - they are currently available on-line here;
  • Semen presented for importation into Canada must be in individual receptacles or straws, each marked with the collection date, identity of the donor and the semen collection premises;
  • The semen is shipped.
As you can see, it's not difficult, but there are some specific steps that must be completed. If they are not, then the semen will be rejected at the time of inspection by CBSA. The requirement for endorsement by USDA-Aphis in particular is the item that may produce impossible time constraints for some. Obviously frozen semen will permit longer time-delays.

Note that there are NO differences as to the region where the horse is located. Some of the above posts reference the stallion being in a "CEM free zone" or a State not currently affected, but that makes no difference to the import requirements. It is semen from ALL of the USA that must be certified in the manner described.

Current regulations can be obtained through the Canadian Automated Import Reference System.

"Zoosanitary Export Certificate for Semen" Declaration wording:

1) The donor stallion(s) have not been on a premises where T.equigenitalis has been isolated during the 60 days immediately preceding collection of the semen for export to Canada or a premises currently under quarantine or investigation for CEM.

2) The semen was processed using an extender that contains antibiotics effective against T.equigenitalis.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are there any issues shipping a mare from Canada to the U.S.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are no requirements other than the usual export/import requirements for horses or horse semen coming from Canada to the USA. The health issue (the CEM outbreak) is in the USA.

Terry Waechter P.R.E. foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the info JOS

Dee Jay
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We shipped a mare to Indiana. Other than health export paperwork done within 30 days, a recent coggins (within 6 months) and an appointment at the vet at the border, that was all that was required.

Same for shipping a horse from PA to our ranch. Health export paperwork, the coggins and no vet at the border though the border patrol did come out to look at the horse to make sure it matched the paperwork.

Karen W
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Jos for addressing this question.The explanation you have seems easier to follow than the bits & pieces of info one hears from different discussion boards.I still have reservations about wanting to try the AI thing this year, i'll decide after speaking with the stallion owner.I know it is just the beginning of the breeding season but hearing from others that are going to ship or have already done so this year would be nice to hear how it went.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US