SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Damaged Milk Vein in Senior Mare; Solutions?

This category is to be used for general mare questions that are not covered by other category descriptions.

Moderator: Jos

Damaged Milk Vein in Senior Mare; Solutions?

Postby chiere » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:54 am

Greetings! I have a 24 yr old draft cross mare that had quite the athletic career as a young lady involving combined driving and trans-contenental driving. She has had 7 pregnancies and 6 live births, her last foal was when she was 14. She is in very good health and weight, gets regular dental work and vet visits and gets riden regularly. Her milk veins just behind her elbows have always been a tad swollen, but I put that down to having nursed 6 foals (and any others she managed to steal.)
About a year ago I noticed her adopting a left foreleg forward position. Whether grazing, standing, or dozing, that left front leg is always a good 18" in front of the other. She also started shifting from hoof to hoof if she stood in one place for very long. But lameness tests only show mild arthritis as is expected of an old lady with a past athletic career. When riding her, she moves out sound as a three yr old.
I mentioned to the vet that she hates to be poked under her left armpit, and she's always been a tad girthy. So the vet thoroughly checked that area, noticed the left milk vein was a third again bigger than the right, registered the backed ears and side eye of pain upon poking about in her armpit, and came to the conclusion that somehow the old lady has damaged that part of her milk vein. Vet said it could be a year old injury, or accumulated damage throughout her career that got finally worse.
My question; is there a way to fix this? Is there some type of surgery or varicose vein procedure that can be done? I Googled V. mammaria cranialis surgery and found nothing. She's obviously uncomfortable. She still runs and bucks in the pasture, and is no way near being disabled, but I know I don't enjoy the dayly grind of background pain, she can't either. And I don't want to keep her on a constant dose of NSAIDs. And, I feel horribly guilty when I girth her up and she looks at me like, really? You're really gonna squeeze that thing again???
Is this unusual? Anyone else ever have to fix a milk vein? Will the other side have problems? That's a big fascinating vein, (flow changes direction when a mare is pregnant!) and I'll admit to a little bit of worry...
Thank you for any insite!
Cheri
chiere
Neonate

Return to General Mare Questions