SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

marestrong heat cycles in anestrus

This category is to be used for general mare questions that are not covered by other category descriptions.

Moderator: Jos

marestrong heat cycles in anestrus

Postby Moonshine » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi there!

I have a young 4 year old mare. we tried breeding her by insemination last summer,(she was a maiden mare) but it did not work. We had tried 2 times, first time, because of transport and usda, got semen too late. second time, should have been right on. She always did have strong showing in her heat cycle, and when we ultra sounded for insemination, she still showed heat cycle 2 days after ovulation.

Anyhow, we are in january, and this is the months of less sunshine, and the coldest time of year. She should be in total shut down period. Well since Friday she is in her strongest heat cycle ever! She is bothering all the geldings, and getting mounted a lot. She is not aggressive at all, just very "horny" sorry for the term.. She passes her time peeing, and flirting.

There is a herd of 15 horses, and there is 6 mares in this herd. she is the only one to show this kind of extreme behavior. When it comes time to handle her, she's pretty much the same, except if she is in her stall, she might call to her men outside. Could this be caused by her feed, it contains soybean hulls as one od the ingredients? she gets about 2-4 lbs day, depending on cold weather, she is always outside 24hrs, with a constant supply of hay. Or can this be that she is dirty?? I was planning on getting her a culture and cytology before re-breeding in spring, but if this can be the cause, I should get it done now??

Any advice would be great, thanks!! :) :D
Moonshine
Nursing Foal

Re: marestrong heat cycles in anestrus

Postby Jos » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Simply because mares are showing periods of receptivity and resistance to a stallion (or other stimulus) during the winter months does not mean that they are necessarily ovulating even though they are giving the appearance of "cycling". This is clearly demonstrated in this graph relating to some research performed some years ago:

You will note that in this group, although anywhere between about 20-45% of mares were showing "estrus" from Jan-March, none were actually ovulating.

Even with ultrasound, you may not be able to determine if the mare is truly cycling (unless you happen to identify an active ovulation) as CL's can hang around for a bit and may be old rather than recent. A progesterone-blood assay is probably your best bet, with the blood taken when she is not "displaying". Bear in mind too that you may be in "transitional phase" when prolonged periods of receptivity with no ovulation are also seen.

It is unlikely that persistent estrus would be related to a mare having a uterine infection, although a rapidly recurrent estrus (i.e. one where the mare returns to estrus 8-10 days after ceasing her previous estrus) might be.

As far as performing a culture and cytology right now - if you are not intending to breed her immediately, then you would probably be better waiting until a cycle or so before you plan on breeding. OTOH if you are planning on breeding soon, then certainly you could have the samples taken, and also perhaps attempt to determine if she is truly cycling (ovulating) or not at the moment - which may save you time, money and headaches when you go to breed!! :)
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Moonshine » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Thank you Jos so much for your response. I will monitor to see if she come back in heat within 10 days after this one. But I am not planning to breed her until may-june. Way to cold before that :)

So I'll get the culture and cytology done in april. I was just concerned that she is getting mounted by gelding (one previous stallion) if it could be really dangerous for her uterus health? Right now, because of the cold temps we had, one of the main water supplies froze up, so there is not an option of separating the herd, but if this is a real danger to her, is it better to put her in a stall the time she is diplaying her heat? (not an option I like, but will do if there is any risks for her future breeding)

Also, can this also be she is estrogen dominant, and can effect her getting pregnant??

thanks, and I think that's all the questions I have!! :P
Moonshine
Nursing Foal

Postby Jos » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Housing geldings with mares is generally a bad idea, as contrary to popular belief - geldings can still gain an erection and mount and "breed" a mare. Other than the risk of physical damage, there is always a risk associated with bacterial transfer and/or contamination, hence it's not a good idea to permit it.

Progestins are the dominant hormone and will over-ride estrogens when present, so the gelding may also be at personal risk when that time comes!!
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to General Mare Questions