SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Jos-a few questions about placentitis

Discuss normal, abnormal and immediate post-foaling issues.

Moderator: Jos

Jos-a few questions about placentitis

Postby oakleaf218 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Jos,

I have a mare we have been treating for placentitis with the standard treatment - smz's and regumate twice a day, and a low dose of banamine once a day. She has been bagged for ten weeks now, and still has four more weeks to go until she will be inside the 30 day window for foaling. Thus far, the treatment has made no difference in the size of her large udder, but it appears to be less painful as she will now allow me to touch it without kicking. The medication has also improved her overall demeanor and appetite, so it appears we are heading in the right direction. I have seen the foal kick vigorously in the last week, so I am hopeful that we still have a live youngster in there, although we have not done an estrone sulfate test. I have never dealt with placentitis or a red bag foal, so I have a few questions:

1. Given that the mare has been bagged up for many months, will her milk be healthy for the foal? Is it likely that she will have colostrum?

2. I know a red bag delivery is possible, but I wonder what the statistics actually are. Do placentitis mares seldom foal normally? Will she give us any normal signs of imminent foaling?

3. In preparing for a red bag delivery, we have a camera in our foaling stall, but we are small farm (just my husband and I) and we just can't sit in front of a television monitor 24 hours a day. Usually we follow the changes in milk and other signs the mares give us and we rarely miss a birth. However, If a red bag delivery means a spontaneous event in which the mare may give us no hints whatsoever about her foaling time, then are there other devices that might be useful? I have heard about foaling aids that attach to a break away halter and send a signal to the house whenever the mare goes down. Also a foaling aid that attaches to the mare's vulva and sends a signal when the mare's water breaks?

I am trying very hard to help this mare and her foal, so any advice from those who have been through this would be much appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Autumn
oakleaf218
Nursing Foal

Re: Jos-a few questions about placentitis

Postby Jos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Unfortunately, this is a series of questions to which there is no straightforward answer. Each case will be dependent upon the individual mare and the degree of placental affectedness.

She should develop colostrum, but check it.
There are no statistics for red bag following placentitis, yes some mares deliver normally, but others do not.
Standard foaling "warnings" are not much use int he case of a red-bag delivery. Probably the halter warnings are the best, but the sew-in vulval warnings are useless, as the whole point behind a red-bag delivery is that the "waters" never break - the whole allanotic sac is presented unruptured. The only absolutely reliable method of monitoring is to watch... (sorry!! :( ).

Good luck!!
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues