SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Breeding kicking mare

Discuss all kinds of problems encountered in breeding mares from not standing for live cover, through to not getting pregnant for unknown reasons!

Moderator: Jos

Breeding kicking mare

Postby moonwillowranch » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Have a mare we have bred twice this year. She does not stand well for the stallion. She squeals and pins her ears through most of what in her uterus looks like a great cycle and then will tease right around ovulation and for 24hrs post. The first time we were unable to confirm ovulation and we believe she ovulated late and the timing was wrong for her cycle. So that cycle doesnt really count.

2nd cycle, she was bred on mild-mod edema with an open cervix. and a nice 40mm follicle that looked a little snowy. she was sedated for the cover and it was a fight to get her covered. 48hrs later she was u/s to have mild-mod edema and a 44mm follicle. HCG was given and she was AI'd with 20ml of fresh strong semen. Ov was confirmed 24hrs later, no fluid reaction noted.

At 12dpo she had a strong solid cervix and good tone but no vesicle was noted.
At 15dpo, her cervix was beginning to soften and the uterine tone was relaxing. She has a couple 20's on her ovaries beginning to grow.

She is a young maiden mare, just 6yrs old. This is her first time through this whole rigamora. Her owner didnt think it would be hard to get her pg and waited until the end of the season to accamadate her show season with another young mare they have. So now its almost July and my season is running down. The mare has great bloodlines and the family would be an asset to my breeding program since they have plans for the foal to show as well.

Where should i go from here? Should i consider trying a cycle of p&e to help increase her heat/receptiveness or since i am ai'ing her (less stressful for everybody that way) should i just focus on the before and after care? Should i give hcg again or wait until she is actually teasing hard before beginning to inseminate? I've already dismissed one mare this year for failure to conceive after struggling all season to get her bred and as disappointing as that was, this mare would be a true loss if the owners decided to take her home open.

Thanks in advance!
moonwillowranch
Neonate

Re: Breeding kicking mare

Postby Jos » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Did she have a clear culture and cytology - note the importance of cytology (which is explained here) and the fact that without it the culture results are pretty well useless.

Was she on any medications or treatments during competition?

P&E is only going to control the timing of the cycle, not change her attitude. Giving estrogen on the first or second day of estrus may assist with receptivity.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Breeding Problem Mares