SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Mare possibly pregnant - cervix closed tight

Discuss all kinds of problems encountered in breeding mares from not standing for live cover, through to not getting pregnant for unknown reasons!

Moderator: Jos

Mare possibly pregnant - cervix closed tight

Postby Vsidell » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:41 am

I bred my 11 year old Friesian mare on June 5. She was ultrasound on June 22 and vet did not find pregnancy. I took her back July 2 to find several follicle on left ovary and 42mm on right ovary. Ordered semen and tried to inseminate this morning only to find a very tightly closed cervix. Teased her with stallion and she was not receptive. I think she may be pregnant. She has always been easy to breed and when in heat, cervix was always open and ready. She has had three previous foals. Any thoughts on this problem? I will for sure take her Saturday morning for another preg check. Is this follicular development normal for an early pregnancy? Is it normal for a cervix to be very tightly closed if not pregnant and with a good size follicle?
Vsidell
Neonate

Re: Mare possibly pregnant - cervix closed tight

Postby Jos » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 pm

If you bred your mare on June 5, even if we presume that didn't ovulate the same day but the day after, it would mean that her next estrus period (if she were not pregnant) would be likely to commence around June 20 and her ovulation would be likely to be around the 27th. Consequently, by the time she was taken back on July 2, she would be in diestrus, which would produce a tight cervix as she is under the influence of progesterone. A diestrus follicle - some of which can even ovulate - is perfectly normal, and the cervix would be tight as the mare is under the influence of progesterone.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby Vsidell » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:40 pm

Thank you for your response. That would explain my confusion. Only problem with that is we also took her to the vet on June 24 and 26 and vet said it would be next week before she would be ready which is why I ordered semen on July 2 with a 42 mm follicle. That is even more confusing to me. I think that I will take her back on Saturday, have another vet check her for pregnancy and if not pregnant, get her cycle started again. Thank you...I will let you know what happens.
Vsidell
Neonate

Postby LOAFEE » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:15 pm

Have a maiden mare. Bred her on a 49mm on right side and 29mm on left side. Checked to see if she ovulated, and did on the left and smaller follicle. She had gotten in foal with twins - 2 cycles ago on a 70mm (yes 70mm) follicle, and very soft cervix ended up with twins and lost both. (Devastating). Bred her again on the 49mm follicle - cervix was hard. Palpated and ultra sounded today. Follicle was 55mm, but cervix, was hard again. Is it possible she has gotten pregnant from the 29mm follicle and that is why her cervix is so tight? Any opinions or comments welcomed please. Very confused and frustrated.
LOAFEE
Neonate

Postby Jos » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:13 am

Loafee: If there is a CL visible confirming the left ovulation, then that CL will be secreting progesterone which will shut down the cervix in 2-3½ days. One does not follow and breed on a second follicle after about 24 hours after the first ovulation for that reason - breeding-related fluids will not be able to escape from the uterus once the cervix is closed.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Breeding Problem Mares