SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Pregnant mare in heat?

Discuss all kinds of problems encountered in breeding mares from not standing for live cover, through to not getting pregnant for unknown reasons!

Moderator: Jos

Pregnant mare in heat?

Postby New to it » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:00 pm

I am new here, so getting a couple questions out at once !

How often do I cover? every day or 2nd day? (live)

I have a call into the vet for ultrasounds, but am curious.

I bred two mares with my stallion in june. The first one was covered June 20,21,22,23 out of heat on the 24th, showing very mild to no signs and really swinging her hind end away from him.

2nd mare was covered June 28,28,30,1,2 and out on 3-4th, again, swinging hind end away and the covering on the 2nd we could barely keep him on she was moving so much, where before she just stood there.

Fast forward to now.. 2nd mare shows VERY strong and I believe is one of those mares that come into heat at any time or anything... she was not showing any signs of heat, and would strike out at my gelding. Put her in a pen beside the stallion, and she was in instant heat, so we covered last night. Is it possible she caught the first time considering how "fluzzy" she is? And, is there any concerns with covering her if she did catch the first time?

Again, I have a call into the vet for an ultra sounds, but I would prefer not to cover if I don't have to with my stud. and.. this would be only day 13 from her coming out of the first breeding heat
New to it
Neonate

Re: Pregnant mare in heat?

Postby Jos » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:20 am

Presuming the stallion has normal fertility, covering every other day is recommended, as more often than that increases both the chance of greater uterine inflammatory response in the mare, and risk factor for horses and humans.

Mares typically ovulate in the last 24-48 hours of "standing heat" (estrus) - the period of receptivity to the stallion. As one cannot without ultrasound determine when this point is, it is necessary to tease the mare and cover as noted every other day until resistance is shown. As the ovulation usually takes place at the end of estrus and irritation of the uterus reduces pregnancy rates, it is normal to not start breeding until the third day of the mare showing receptivity and then every other day until resistance. This typically results in 2 or 3 covers in an estrus period.
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby New to it » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:30 am

Thanks for the reply.

I covered every day just for the fact that they are both maiden and I didnt know how long there heat cycles lasted... I have the vet coming up today to do ultra sounds on both mares, so he will be telling me if they are in foal, or when they will be ovulating and set out a plan.

If neither of them end up in foal, I will have to get him tested as this will be mares 3 and 4. The first two only let cover one day.. and neither caught... but, one had hip and ovary issues, 8yr maiden, and the other was 15 maiden with the same ovary issues, the 15yr old was palpated at day 26 and was told 80% in foal so she either was the other 20% and not, or absorbed over the winter.

I am really hoping for positive ultra sounds today!
New to it
Neonate

Postby New to it » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:44 pm

So, Vet was out. One is pregnant, the other one that came back in after 13 days is not.. and she is going to ovulate within 3 days. She has a left follicle of 3.9 and a right follicle of 2.9. (Y)
New to it
Neonate

Return to Breeding Problem Mares