SEMEN EXPORT SERVICES
STALLIONS AT EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
CONTACT US

If you "like" us please "recommend" us!

and then:
Join us on Facebook! Join us on Facebook!

Proudly sponsored by:

Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc
Home of the Equitainer

Home of the world-famous INRA '96 extender!
Home of the world-famous
INRA '96 extender!

Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your veterinary
ultrasounding needs

Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in
Equine Veterinary Products!

BET Pharm: Your compounding pharmacy for reproductive needs!
Your compounding pharmacy for
reproductive needs!

www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at
Competitive Prices!

J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable
breeding stocks!

Here Today. There Today.
Here Today. There Today.

Saving Foals from FPT
Saving Foals from FPT

Egg Tech - serving European breeder's needs!
Egg Tech - serving
European breeder's needs!

International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary
Information Service

Please note that this records only identifiable - not all - hits!

Mare With Uterine Fluid Post Partum?

Sometimes the pregnancy doesn't go as expected and the foal is lost. Here you can share information and perhaps learn why it happened and/or how to prevent a reocurrence.

Moderator: Jos

Mare With Uterine Fluid Post Partum?

Postby nikimac » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi Everyone!
I have been a long time follower and as of today, felt I had to post for some much needed advice. I have a 1997 model AQHA mare that was pasture covered by my stallion. I do my own ultrasounds however this past fall due to a move, I had to send my mares to a farm 5 hrs from me and was unable to ultrasound them to confirm pregnancy. I had my non-horse parents watching three pregnant mares including this AQHA mare and they mentioned that she was huge and seemed obviously pregnant. Around one month ago they noticed her develop a large bag and separated her off from the herd for foaling into a larger outdoor pen. She was in the pen for perhaps.....2-3 days and when no foal was produced but she continuously paced they turned her back out with the mares and her bag immediately shrunk and no foal was ever found. The mare now looks open, my parents said she looked huge before and now doesn't even look pregnant. This mare has had foals every year and is an easy breeder and a very good mare. I did a rectal exam on her and I do not palpate a foal. I then put the ultrasound probe in and can see uterine fluid as far as I can reach into her and the uterine wall is quite corrugated as commonly seen in pregnancy. My question is, did this mare likely abort and I am seeing post-partum fluid and endometritis? I am very nervous to pass anything through the cervix in this mare in case she is still pregnant (such as flush/swab, etc). She would now be approx 30 days past the incident when her bag was large and shrunk down again. We have the mares on only 15 acres and we have not been able to find any evidence of a lost foal. The mare never had any blood or discharge on her tail or legs (one good thing about having a white tail!) and never hung around a particular area as though she had a dead foal and didn't want to leave it. The mare is clinically normal. Eating and drinking well, non-febrile, no vaginal discharge, no discomfort on rectal palpation, bright and alert as well. The fluid in the uterus was dark and did not have alot of flecking to it or evidence of fibrin but since I could not see the full uterus I am not sure what to think about her! Would a post partum uterus with endometritis at this stage still have the corrugated appearance or would it be smooth walled? Should I get a blood progesterone test on her? Some days she looks pregnant and others not. So I am not sure it I should give her oxytocin to clear the fluid or how else I can confirm/rule out pregnancy apart from an ultrasound? As far as the uterus, I could feel a firm tubular structure but not sure if that was perhaps the cervix? Bladder was clearly visualized separately and is normal. Would love to hear your thoughts on this girl! I am a new vet and this is my own personal horse.....just never had this happen before. Where she is now, I do not have a stud to use to tease her either. Ovaries did have several smaller follicles on them but nothing large. No evidence of a fetus was seen either. I have always done rectal pregnancy diagnosis or ultrasound and of course the one year I don't get to this mare.....I get this, lol! Thanks in advance to everyone!
nikimac
Neonate

Re: Mare With Uterine Fluid Post Partum?

Postby Jos » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:20 pm

The one vital piece of information I'm not seeing - and perhaps I'm just overlooking it - is what stage of pregnancy duration she is at, and at what stage was she at during different points in the timeline? :)

Thanks! :)
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Postby nikimac » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:15 am

Hi Jos!
As for her time in gestation, I can only estimate since I was not able to check her this year :(. She was pasture bred from July to September 1 of last year. So if she bred right when she was exposed to the stallion and caught she would have been roughly 11-11.5mos gestation at the time she had bagged up considerably. There is a possibility that she could have been a younger pregnancy as well if she took on a later breeding. My parents are not sure when exactly she looked 'suddenly empty' but it was shortly after. I will recheck her again and attempt to post the ultrasound photos on here if that would help as well. I was going to re-ultrasound her in 2 weeks unless I see any signs of illness at which time I would do it earlier. Hope that helps!
Thanks again!
nikimac
Neonate

Postby Jos » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Well, the one concern with not knowing the exact gestational duration coupled with mammary development is whether the mammary development is evidence of inappropriate lactation - which in later-term pregnancy could be indicative of impending abortion. As there is a question as to whether the mare "still looked pregnant" after this episode, one has to be concerned about the possibility that an abortion has occurred. Not identifying an aborted fetus is not really evidential, unless the mare is kept in a closed stall. Scavengers are remarkably effective at clearing carrion and it would be no surprise to have a mare abort and there be no sign of an aborted fetus within a couple of hours. Bear in mind too that as you are unsure of exactly what stage the mare was at, that the fetus may only have been the size of a large cat or medium dog...

Sounds like you need to get in there and do some more checking... :D
We're always happy to try and help, but don't forget to check the articles section
of the website too, which has a search engine to help you look for answers!
:)
Jos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Return to Abortion and Pregnancy Loss